ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on today's scrimmage

I was at the UTEP tipoff luncheon today. Floyd mentioned Wilms injury and stated that the doctor said he could play but in limited minutes...14-18 minutes a game! Floyd stated he needed more like 34 minutes a game from him. He did add the injury is similar to that of most big men like Oden, Ming, Joel Embid, Sam Bowie, and others.

The luncheon was great! Tevin Caldwell, Hooper Vint, and Paul Thomas were there representing the men's team. Floyd gave us a great story of Kelvin Jones who is redshirting this year. Floyd has really high hopes for this guy and based on the story, Jones has a good work ethic. Next year is looking very promising as well!

Sounds like Floyd would rather have Wilms have the surgery and sit out. I agree, Wilms should get patched up and get a medical redshirt and come back stronger, instead of pissing away a year with the possibility of getting injured worse and causing chemistry problems by bean counting his minutes .

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Sounds like Floyd would rather have Wilms have the surgery and sit out. I agree, Wilms should get patched up and get a medical redshirt and come back stronger, instead of pissing away a year with the possibility of getting injured worse and causing chemistry problems by bean counting his minutes .
The problem with that is he already had a redshirt year (I believe it was medical too), and would have to petition to the NCAA for another medical redshirt. Chance of getting that granted would be very iffy. That's why I think they're proceeding the way they are.

Sadly his foot will probably never get better. When seven footers get foot injuries it never ends well.

Reactions: mikesarabia
I might be wrong, but I think that Ced was the big guy dominating in the post during last year's scrimmage, not Hooper. Yesterday Hooper really looked good, showing a variety of post moves, but again, that was against our freshman bigs. It will be interesting to see how he plays in real games against better competition. Also, his post defense has been really poor in the past. Yesterday did not offer the opportunity to see if he's improved in this area.

You're absolutely right, and the year before that it was Willms with the big game. I'm getting my tall, white guys all mixed up.

I've said before that Floyd has so many options, that I expect different line ups from game to game. He will experiment and adjust to what the opponent has to offer. It'll be mucho fun to see what linr ups work best.

I'm probably preaching to the choir but with the 4 guard lineup, the traditional 1-5 goes out the window. There may be a designated 1 and a 5, but 2-4 are interchangeable for the most part. With that said, he could play 1-4.

Edit: Sorry miner1liner, for whatever reason I must have clicked on your quote. I meant to answer purple's question of where Omega would play in a 4 guard line up.

Last edited:
No I think it was hooper who had a big scrimmage last year. Think he scored 28 or 30. I remember cause I thought maybe he'd break out and become a key player.

Barely saw him play after that game, though.....lol

I think you are thinking of the first scrimmage, USAF, where the tallest opponent was 6' 7", and that guy only played a few minutes. I'm pretty sure Vint went off in that game.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
No I think it was hooper who had a big scrimmage last year. Think he scored 28 or 30. I remember cause I thought maybe he'd break out and become a key player.

Barely saw him play after that game, though.....lol

I think you are thinking of the first scrimmage, USAF, where the tallest opponent was 6' 7", and that guy only played a few minutes. I'm pretty sure Vint went off in that game.

It was indeed in the first exhibition game last year that Hooper dominated offensively. Here are the box score:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2014-15/box_score/stats_20141110aaa.pdf

Reactions: MineroFanatico
the best thing hooper can do for us on the offensive end this year is shoot that 3ball... he is sooooo weak inside that if he goes outside and can hit a few big 3s he will draw his defender ( hopefully a center as well ) away from the basket and take length away from the rim giving our guards a chance to penetrate... and our forwards to rebound the ball instead of our center

Reactions: mikesarabia
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT