ADVERTISEMENT

Next UTEP coach is...

I was watching Beard interview on Longhorn Network and that dude was laser eyed focused. Pupils were set, he sat straight in his chair and didn't flinch once, no head bob and weaves, no eyes glancing elsewhere for second and dressed like he was interviewing for a six figure job. Based on his record and that interview, this man is the real deal. I never knew much about him before that.

That's what UTEP needs.

Golding is still my guy, but I’m starting to really hope there are some legs to Tang, and that the breaking news last week was just let out of the bag prematurely. That he really is the guy and it was a timing issue.
Same. I like Golding and even Jans would be a major improvement, but I like Tang as well. As long as it's not retread central with Doc I will be pretty happy.

Haven't been on in a while so, good to be back! Now, Can someone give a list of pros on Doc...other than his history at UTEP. Seriously. If he's the leading candidate (which is where the rumor mill is pointing) I need something to get excited about and to attach to. Complaining is easy, someone give me something good

Haven't been on in a while so, good to be back! Now, Can someone give a list of pros on Doc...other than his history at UTEP. Seriously. If he's the leading candidate (which is where the rumor mill is pointing) I need something to get excited about and to attach to. Complaining is easy, someone give me something good
Pros: Possibly stay long term, Keep us competitive, Good game coach Cons: Not a good recruiter, Would have us consistently mediocre, same boat we were in last 10 years. No NCAA, maybe occasionally NIT CBI. Just not a move forward.

I just sent an email to Jim Senter detailing why hiring Doc Sadler would be a bad idea. I'm sure that he'll just ignore it and it will make zero difference, but at least I'll know that I tried.

I just received an email back from Senter:

Dear Mark:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings on this hire. You would make a good AD. Solid, well-thought-out rationale. Much appreciated. JS

I don't know if he took any of it to hear or not. In the end I guess that I will know that I tried. Hopefully he makes a good choice (i.e. NOT DOC).

Tim Floyd's decline started at 62. I'm not saying the same will be for Sadler but I don't see how this will work out.

Someone asked who I rather have between Sadler and Terry. Well let's say that at least Terry built an NCAA team and wasn't handed one.

Reactions: kickballpro
I just received an email back from Senter:

Dear Mark:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings on this hire. You would make a good AD. Solid, well-thought-out rationale. Much appreciated. JS

I don't know if he took any of it to hear or not. In the end I guess that I will know that I tried. Hopefully he makes a good choice (i.e. NOT DOC).
If there’s one thing Senter is consistent about, besides picking sub par coaches, it’s answering fan emails.

So interestingly, was just told that David Patrick had an amazing interview and detailed plan for resurrecting UTEP. I'm not saying he's jumped to the front. However no ones really talked about him and he could be a dark horse in this race and I would like that hire over Sadler. If he doesn't get it, he'll be a mid major coach or better by next season.

So interestingly, was just told that David Patrick had an amazing interview and detailed plan for resurrecting UTEP. I'm not saying he's jumped to the front. However no ones really talked about him and he could be a dark horse in this race and I would like that hire over Sadler. If he doesn't get it, he'll be a mid major coach or better by next season.
I would totally be fine with Patrick. I especially like that, if true, he has a plan for how to resurrect the program.

Reactions: nattybry
I like tang because he knows how to build a culture around a program, can recruit and is a very good defensive mind........ and I could be wrong I think he would actually build a program here instead of just stepping and leaving

Reactions: mikesarabia
B REAL... we can win now with Barbee or see progress in 3 years with any one else... its time to jump on the "Prime Time" Barbee train and demand he be hired...
Do you think that ticket prices would double right away if he is hired? just askin'

So I saw someone post something about Patrick saying "Get ready for violations" or something like that. Is there anything on him having violations anywhere? At Riverside?

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
B REAL... we can win now with Barbee or see progress in 3 years with any one else... its time to jump on the "Prime Time" Barbee train and demand he be hired...
Do you think that ticket prices would double right away if he is hired? just askin'
and we can win now with barbee how?

So I saw someone post something about Patrick saying "Get ready for violations" or something like that. Is there anything on him having violations anywhere? At Riverside?
Yes I saw that too, cant remember where but I have heard that a few places....

I like Tang for recruiting Texas.

Regional recruiting is very overrated in basketball vs football. Players will travel from all over in basketball. Some of UTEP's best players have been from Chicago and Southern California. With the transfer portal, this will be even more prevalent.

For example, NMSU has players from Florida, Michigan, Illinois, Canada, Georgia, Oregon, Pennsylvania and Arkansas.

Patrick is an Aussie and very responsible for the high number of quality Aussies that played at St. Mary's including Patty Mills. As long as you have contacts you can recruit from anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT