ADVERTISEMENT

Next UTEP coach is...

I am all about community and sharing.

I’m just wondering why everybody is curious about the doobage. I jaywalked for gawd’s sake!
Dang. Only a few steps away from being a considered a drugie by the Digs morality patrol. You could never be a head coach here at UTEP. You would have to settle for being Associate Head Coach at UConn.

Okay I'm ready.

Who is out there that Utep should go after?

5a20fff008629b5f2250a7a6087e6c36d2d7fd26.gifv

If Golding returns next year (and he probably will but shouldn't) at the minimum he needs to open up at least two assistant positions to bring in fresh faces. We're UTEP though and he'll probably think running it back with the same staff will somehow produce different results.

Reactions: MinerFan79
If Golding returns next year (and he probably will but shouldn't) at the minimum he needs to open up at least two assistant positions to bring in fresh faces. We're UTEP though and he'll probably think running it back with the same staff will somehow produce different results.

We all know that Golding should not return yet we also all know that he will. How fvcked up is that.

I wonder if
I dont know man..... Barbee didn't even play any D3 or NAIA teams.

Just one measly D2.

Doubt they set any single game scoring records. 💁🏽‍♂️
I wonder if there’s any correlation between CMU testing themselves ooc on the road at Oklahoma, at Florida St, at South Florida, at Ohio St, at Creighton, at Loyola Chicago and their ability to win road conference games.

I wonder if

I wonder if there’s any correlation between CMU testing themselves ooc on the road at Oklahoma, at Florida St, at South Florida, at Ohio St, at Creighton, at Loyola Chicago and their ability to win road conference games.
Naw. Much better to play inferior teams, in a glorified scrimmage, with 2,000 bored fans on your home court!

• Haha
Reactions: JCorona
At this point and where College Sports is I care less about coaching experience and more about relationships and getting kids excited about this program again! With that said I'd be all in on a Tim Hardaway hire. He's well known still, his son plays NBA, he coached in the NBA, he's a UTEP Legend and would be passionate about Utep Basketball's revival. I'd support the Sh** out of that hire!

Reactions: jdubb66
At this point and where College Sports is I care less about coaching experience and more about relationships and getting kids excited about this program again! With that said I'd be all in on a Tim Hardaway hire. He's well known still, his son plays NBA, he coached in the NBA, he's a UTEP Legend and would be passionate about Utep Basketball's revival. I'd support the Sh** out of that hire!

I don't think that would be a good hire. Look at St. John's and Georgetown. Hiring Chris Mullin and Patrick Ewing was a bad move.

Reactions: FedupMiner
I don't think that would be a good hire. Look at St. John's and Georgetown. Hiring Chris Mullin and Patrick Ewing was a bad move.
I'm willing to think out of the box at this point. It's a 50/50 shot I'd say. Don't get me wrong, if we could get another up and coming assistant who embraces the NIL and can motivate and recruit that's fine too. I'm just all the way out on Golding and it sucks, cause I like the guy.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I'm willing to think out of the box at this point. It's a 50/50 shot I'd say. Don't get me wrong, if we could get another up and coming assistant who embraces the NIL and can motivate and recruit that's fine too. I'm just all the way out on Golding and it sucks, cause I like the guy.

Every coach is a 50/50 shot. Either they succeed or they don't.

Don’t understand the comparison of ex players returning to coach at their university. Cause some fail, means all fail. Or if some win all will win. Makes no sense at all.
I won’t push for Tim, rather see a younger coach.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
So then you agree going with Timmy would be just as much of a risk or success as anyone else. Poi t is Golding isn't the guy

Of course Golding isn't the guy.

All I'm saying is it didn't work out with other schools. Could it work here? Maybe, maybe not. I just wouldn't hire him.

I agree that with every coach you are taking a risk.

We need to hire the basketball version of Scotty Walden. Whomever that might be. Someone that is a tireless recruiter... and potentially a good coach that wins championships. Excitement is back for football. I'd like to see the same for basketball.

We need to hire the basketball version of Scotty Walden. Whomever that might be. Someone that is a tireless recruiter... and potentially a good coach that wins championships. Excitement is back for football. I'd like to see the same for basketball.
An argument can be made that Golding was the basketball version of Walden when Senter hired him. Maybe not as young, but definitely energetic (with an affinity for red bull). After 3 years, we know Golding hasn't been able to bring in enough talent. Hopefully Walden will be able turn that around.

Last edited:
Every coach is a 50/50 shot. Either they succeed or they don't.
This is not a true statement. Just because ther are only two possible outcomes does not mean that each outcome is equally likely. Let's take free throw shooting. There are only two possible outcomes: you make it or you miss it. But if it's Stephen Curry taking the shot there is an over 90% probably that he makes the shot. If it's Ben Wallace, that probably is barely over 40%.

As far as coaches go, if, say, Bill Self decided that he wanted a less high profile gig and applied for the UTEP job, there is a near 100% chance that he would be successful. Give me the job, and that chance plummets to 0%.

It is Senter's job to do his homework and determine which candidate has the highest probability of success. So far he is 0 for 2 when it comes to basketball (to be fair I was good with both hires, good thing that I'm not an AD). He needs to fire Golding and take another shot, hopefully with a much better outcome.

This is not a true statement. Just because ther are only two possible outcomes does not mean that each outcome is equally likely. Let's take free throw shooting. There are only two possible outcomes: you make it or you miss it. But if it's Stephen Curry taking the shot there is an over 90% probably that he makes the shot. If it's Ben Wallace, that probably is barely over 40%.

As far as coaches go, if, say, Bill Self decided that he wanted a less high profile gig and applied for the UTEP job, there is a near 100% chance that he would be successful. Give me the job, and that chance plummets to 0%.

It is Senter's job to do his homework and determine which candidate has the highest probability of success. So far he is 0 for 2 when it comes to basketball (to be fair I was good with both hires, good thing that I'm not an AD). He needs to fire Golding and take another shot, hopefully with a much better outcome.

LOL There is a 0% chance Bill Self would ever apply for the UTEP job.

Also, saying Bill Self would near 100% be successful at UTEP is incorrect. You still have to have the players to win the games. UTEP would definitely be in a better position with Bill Self, but it would be nowhere near 100%.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
An argument can be made that Golding was the basketball version of Walden when Senter hired him. Maybe not as young, but definitely energetic (with an affinity for reb bull). After 3 years, we know Golding hasn't been able to bring in enough talent. Hopefully Walden will be able turn that around.
Personally, I don't see it. Walden is energetic, but backs it up. He also has his entire staff energetic and engaging. Golding only talks fast, and people think it's "energy" he sold UTEP on the Texas win, and they bought into it. They are now paying for it... He's not the answer, and never was for UTEP. What direction, do they take next? Who knows... One thing is true, he better be able to recruit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT