ADVERTISEMENT

NMSU is out of the Sun Belt

Karl Benson really screwed them over. First he convinced them to ditch the Sun Belt for the WAC. Then Benson drove the WAC to its death. Now can't even offer them a spot back in the Belt.

Highly unlikely that the rivalry would survive if NMSU drops. They will be losing around 20 scholarships, bowl revenue shares, and the state of NM will cut funding.

I, for one, would like to see a better opponent fill NMSU's slot on UTEP's annual schedule, and suggested so here months ago.

There are only so many home games -- UTEP can do better for the fans.

Reactions: M i n e r
I wonder how Chris Hunter feels tonight, knowing that he likely won't be ending his College Career as a D1 athlete?

http://www.minerrush.com/2016/2/3/10906134/utep-football-chris-hunter-flips-to-idaho

There is a report that the big sky has offered Idaho full membership. They are member of the big sky in all slorts except for football. They have a may 4 th deadline to join the big sky for football or be kicked out of the big sky. Idaho has no real viable options, i expect them to move down to fcs football in the big sky. If they move down their current players could transfer to any fbs program and not have to sit out a year. Hunter could conceivably be on our roster in August.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
This is a big surprise to me but has to be shocking news to NMSU fans. Here's an interesting write up out today on this subject.
http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016...gies-nmsu-football-no-renewal-ten-team-league

So if NMSU drops down to the FCS level does UTEP not play them to avoid drops in RPI or would NMSU become the traditional FCS team we play in football each year. Doesn't make sense to play NMSU if they are FCS in my view.

BTW I wish local TV would broadcast the #25 Ranked Women's UTEP team final game on TV this Thurs....

We won't play them in Football, but remember, this affects football only. They were WAC in all other sports. We will still play them in basketball.

No team has dropped from FBS since University of Chicago in 1946. Its hard to have financial success in FCS. I read some teams like Coastal Carolina and Eastern Kentucky have moved to FBS just to stop the drain of money and break even. FCS also has only 63 scholarships and they are not full rides like FBS. They can be split. There is nothing good about dropping.

No team since Chicago has dropped from FBS since 1946?

Might want to check your facts. Wichita St, Long Beach St, Cal St Fullerton are some schools just to name a few.

Also, Eastern Kentucky is still FCS and has not received an FBS invite to date.

Maybe next time, you will check your facts before posting.

You should feel special kickballpro. He created an account just to correct you. He even threw in a semi clever name.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Sorry to correct you brother, but you are not speaking factually. Although, I am not sure who you are referring to, I did not create this name just for the pro.

I noticed there has been a lot of misinformation on here and decided to step in. Thanks for the welcome brother.

This is where I read it. I think all those teams you mentioned dropped football, but didn't drop a level.

http://www.laramieboomerang.com/new...cle_cc6003ef-0e60-586f-8d8e-ec5fe415b873.html

Last paragraph of section 1.

"It should be noted that in the modern era of college football, no FBS program has dropped to a lower level. The last school to do that was the University of Chicago. A founding member of the Big 10 Conference, it withdrew in 1946 and brought football back in 1969 as an NCAA Division III member."

Reactions: UTEPDefense
NMSU president was pretty clear that staying as a FBS independent sucked rocks. They have no choice but too drop down. They're are going to be some local media and supporters insisting Stull maintain the rivalry if they drop down. Some one like Stull would probably take a legal point of view and ask if there is any precedent to maintain a FBS/FCS school rivalry and the answer is, no. TAMU wanted to maintain the UT rivalry but horns told them to take it and shove it. Stull's job is to create a competitive schedule and make money in the process.

Add them to CUSA, can't be worse than FAU, FIU, UTSA, or North Texas. It would be an awesome addition for basketball and would be our traveling partner.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
No team since Chicago has dropped from FBS since 1946?

Might want to check your facts. Wichita St, Long Beach St, Cal St Fullerton are some schools just to name a few.

Also, Eastern Kentucky is still FCS and has not received an FBS invite to date.

Maybe next time, you will check your facts before posting.

You're wrong Kickball was correct. He was referencing schools who dropped down a level. There have been no schools voluntary move down to fcs. The schools you referenced killed their programs.

He originally stated, dropped from FBS, not dropped to a lower level. Wouldn't dropped from FBS include those that dropped entirely?

He was still wrong about Eastern Kentucky though.

He originally stated, dropped from FBS, not dropped to a lower level. Wouldn't dropped from FBS include those that dropped entirely?

He was still wrong about Eastern Kentucky though.

True, I was wrong about Eastern Kentucky. I misread the SB Nation article about how much teams are willing to spend to be FBS and it referenced what Eastern Kentucky is doing.Eastern Kentucky wrote a memo to the Sun Belt saying they will invest ten million in stadium upgrades. But they are not FBS. Sorry fact checker.

Reactions: JCorona
Add them to CUSA, can't be worse than FAU, FIU, UTSA, or North Texas. It would be an awesome addition for basketball and would be our traveling partner.

And throw them a life preserver, hell no...somebody give me some popcorn!

tmpQzHoRV.jpg

Reactions: Rot and allminer
I realize that I'm going to be in the minority here, but I see this as a bad news. If NMSU drops to FCS, then I'm sure that Stull will drop them from the schedule, the right thing to do under those circumstances. Why is this bad news? It takes away the game that frequently brings in our highest attendance every other year, and takes away a team for football fans to truly hate.

Above it's suggested that we can fill the void with a better team. This is true, Aggie football teams have really, really sucked in recent years. But if we do bring in a better team, will the fans care? Sure, fans have been excited when we bring in teams like UT, OU, and Texas Tech, but, with a few exceptions, these games have turned out very ugly for the Miners, and even those exceptions have resulted in losses. If we bring in decent teams from other mid major conferences we might have a better chance to win, but the opponent will be met with a "meh" by UTEP fans, and won't bring in near as many butts in the seats as the Aggies always do.

My bet is that if you asked Miner fans to name three schools they really hate and/or consider to be rivals, the Aggies would be far and away number 1. Older fans, such as myself, might throw in some old WAC foes like UNM and BYU, but these names will be mostly absent from the ballots of younger fans. There is a whole generation of Miner fans you don't care one way or the other about the old WAC foes. And even amongst most of us older fans, a lack of seeing them on the other sidelines has lessened the intensity of the hatred we once felt.

So who would the younger fans place on their ballots? Who the hell knows? Does anyone feel an intense rivalry with any other team in CUSA? I'm pretty sure that most don't. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if many fans would be unable to name three rivals. The gap between NMSU and whomever places second on the ballots will be so large as to be Grand Canyon-esque.

A season without playing the Aggies would, in some seasons, mean a season without a single well attended football game. A season without playing the Aggies would, in most seasons, mean a season without playing a team to hate. Where's the fun in that?

I realize that I'm going to be in the minority here, but I see this as a bad news. If NMSU drops to FCS, then I'm sure that Stull will drop them from the schedule, the right thing to do under those circumstances. Why is this bad news? It takes away the game that frequently brings in our highest attendance every other year, and takes away a team for football fans to truly hate.

Above it's suggested that we can fill the void with a better team. This is true, Aggie football teams have really, really sucked in recent years. But if we do bring in a better team, will the fans care? Sure, fans have been excited when we bring in teams like UT, OU, and Texas Tech, but, with a few exceptions, these games have turned out very ugly for the Miners, and even those exceptions have resulted in losses. If we bring in decent teams from other mid major conferences we might have a better chance to win, but the opponent will be met with a "meh" by UTEP fans, and won't bring in near as many butts in the seats as the Aggies always do.

My bet is that if you asked Miner fans to name three schools they really hate and/or consider to be rivals, the Aggies would be far and away number 1. Older fans, such as myself, might throw in some old WAC foes like UNM and BYU, but these names will be mostly absent from the ballots of younger fans. There is a whole generation of Miner fans you don't care one way or the other about the old WAC foes. And even amongst most of us older fans, a lack of seeing them on the other sidelines has lessened the intensity of the hatred we once felt.

So who would the younger fans place on their ballots? Who the hell knows? Does anyone feel an intense rivalry with any other team in CUSA? I'm pretty sure that most don't. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if many fans would be unable to name three rivals. The gap between NMSU and whomever places second on the ballots will be so large as to be Grand Canyon-esque.

A season without playing the Aggies would, in some seasons, mean a season without a single well attended football game. A season without playing the Aggies would, in most seasons, mean a season without playing a team to hate. Where's the fun in that?

NMSU is not a big draw. Since 2000 only twice has NMSU been our highest attended game (2004, 2010). To say without NMSU we wouldnt have a well attended game is not true. The truth is if we win we draw well.

To me NMSU is not a rival, its a trap game. If we win we are supposed to to if we lose its an absolute embarrassment, there is no upside for us playing the game. Further more we need to raise the bar. Measuring ourselves against NMSU holds down the program.

NMSU is not a big draw. Since 2000 only twice has NMSU been our highest attended game (2004, 2010). To say without NMSU we wouldnt have a well attended game is not true. The truth is if we win we draw well.

To me NMSU is not a rival, its a trap game. If we win we are supposed to to if we lose its an absolute embarrassment, there is no upside for us playing the game. Further more we need to raise the bar. Measuring ourselves against NMSU holds down the program.

I don't have the attendance figures in front of me, but I'll go ahead and accept your data. I am willing to bet in the vast majority of the years that we hosted NMSU where they weren't our highest attended game, they were second. And that in the vast majority of these years that the attendance of the NMSU was well above our average attendance for the season.

Playing NMSU has nothing to do with our success as a team. If we recruit well, if the players are "coached up" well, if the coaches do a good job of preparing and motivating them for the games, and if we execute well, we will having winning seasons. If we don't do these things, we will have typical Miner seasons. Having the Aggies on the schedule has no effect on any of this. What it does do is give the fans a game every year that they can be excited about, even when we are down. You can't say that about any other team that we have a chance of playing on a yearly basis.

I do agree that if we win we will draw well, no matter the opponent. But I know that you are familiar with the history of our football program.

You can play one fcs team a year and have that count toward your bowl eligibility. We don't have to drop NMSU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_eligibility/.

I realize that we can count one FCS team a year toward bowl eligibility. But still, I hate playing FCS teams. I would really hate playing against the same FCS team every year. And there is no way in hell that we should ever play on the road against an FCS team. If NMSU drops to FCS we should drop them from our schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: alum95and98
I'd say an annual home-and-home football game versus UNM would be near perfect as a replacement for NMSU. Both programs are pretty much on par competitive-wise. UNM does bring about a well attended game in the Sun Bowl. Albuquerque is a very easy drive for Miners fans, who normally travel well there and have a sizeable fan base in that city. In addition, who knows, perhaps a rekindled annual rivalry with the Lobos will lead to an eventual invitation into the MWC (wishful thinking).

I'd say an annual home-and-home football game versus UNM would be near perfect as a replacement for NMSU. Both programs are pretty much on par competitive-wise. UNM does bring about a well attended game in the Sun Bowl. Albuquerque is a very easy drive for Miners fans, who normally travel well there and have a sizeable fan base in that city. In addition, who knows, perhaps a rekindled annual rivalry with the Lobos will lead to an eventual invitation into the MWC (wishful thinking).

I would love an annual home and home with the Lobos. However, I don't think that UNM would go for it. Who knows, maybe they will, as they will likely be losing their annual home and home with the Aggies as well.

What younger fans? The fans I see at the games are mostly the same old farts that have been going for years.

And I agree that a home and home with UNM would be a nice upgrade.

Agree with Maniac, losing NMSU football is a negative for UTEP. We are not immune to conference abandonment. We are on an island in CUSA and another strong round of realignment may leave us on the outside looking in as well. This region is already limited sports wise, and removing options is never a good thing. College sports is a economic engine, even as small as NMSU's, they generate interest and bring people to the region which is something this area sorely needs. As a fan many of the great games in basketball and football I remember was with the Aggies because it means a little more. (Ernest Patterson and Stevie Colter and 3 OT Miner win at Pan Am in the early 80's was the BEST game I have ever witnessed in person). I still love making the drive up there, have a nice dinner and go to game. I'm sure their fans do the same.

NMSU is not a big draw. Since 2000 only twice has NMSU been our highest attended game (2004, 2010). To say without NMSU we wouldn't have a well attended game is not true. The truth is if we win we draw well.

You are comparing NMSU to the Likes of Oklahoma, Texas and Texas Tech. All of which brought large numbers of fans to the Sun Bowl and were one time shots. I highly doubt any of these schools will make any kind of long term commitment to play the miners or give us the favorable terms that NMSU gives us. We gave up almost 1 million to get UT to play here and likely broke even in the deal. NMSU gives us 30,000 every two years and we likely make more money with those games. (and we don't have to get our asses whipped to earn it).

Coach Martin had a good realistic attitude on the decision and honest too. They drop down, they can kiss recruiting FBS Texas talent goodbye. He can recruit the under the radar Texas talent like Rose III. He stated if they are FCS, it makes it that much harder. But alot can happen in two years.

NMSU is going to come to the Sun Bowl with a chip on their shoulder. I bet regional/El Paso aggie fans will show up, but too little, too late at this point. Kug will have UTEP ready because he knows the "trap" parameters of this game at this point in the rivalry history.

I had the typical UTEP fan attitude of "screw NMSU", but them dropping to FCS may hurt UTEP in the long run. UTEP does have a deal with Sonic Drive In who sponsors this rivalry (BTW, thanks to Coach Price who secured that deal) and what if NMSU says "fine, drop us off the football schedule, Include basketball as well!" NMSU basketball helps UTEP RPI at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT