ADVERTISEMENT

NNM

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
The 1,100-student college in Española is an NAIA independent and has been busy this year. The Eagles are already 2-2, following two opening wins with two losses this past weekend.
They’ve been balanced and high scoring, as six players average between 13.0 and 8.5 points a game for a team scoring 79 points a game.
A pair of guards, 6-foot-4 Marc Howard and 6-2 Keene Harris, lead the way at 13.0 points a game.
Northern New Mexico also features Joe Saterfield, the brother of UTEP’s Jorell Saterfield. - EPTimes.com

UTEP 78
San Juan Valley U 45

"The Española area (known as the "San Juan Valley" to the early Spaniards) is also known as the first European-founded capital of the "New World.""

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Does a game like this benefit us in any way? Is it at least good practice?

Give Onyema some minutes and let him work on his D?
It only benefits UTEPs pocketbook. NNMU is cheaper to pay to play here than a D1 bottom feeder. The season ticket holders are getting ripped off, as they pay full price for this tripe. Very little non-STHs will buy full price tickets to this game.

Would you rather the team just sit around in their dorms and play Xbox all day long?
I'm not sure an NAIA team is our only option to fill the schedule.

If coach wants a game like this to give players like Onyema some minutes to work on... whatever it is he needs to work on, then maybe I can understand it.

Reactions: utep-piggy
I'm not sure an NAIA team is our only option to fill the schedule.

If coach wants a game like this to give players like Onyema some minutes to work on... whatever it is he needs to work on, then maybe I can understand it.
Exactly what these opponents do. Gives Golding a chance to see what he has without risking a loss. Afterall this is only his third game as UTEP HC and he has at least 6 new players.

Exactly what these opponents do. Gives Golding a chance to see what he has without risking a loss. Afterall this is only his third game as UTEP HC and he has at least 6 new players.
Goldings replacement at ACU is playing their 3rd straight road game tonight and Tony Barbee has played 3 straight road games too.

Lamar’s new coach lost to Georgia Tech by 9 points in his 3rd game.

Everyone has roster turnover every year. UTEP chooses to play scrub teams because it settles for mediocrity.

Goldings replacement at ACU is playing their 3rd straight road game tonight and Tony Barbee has played 3 straight road games too.

Lamar’s new coach lost to Georgia Tech by 9 points in his 3rd game.

Everyone has roster turnover every year. UTEP chooses to play scrub teams because it settles for mediocrity.
None of those teams you mentioned consider themselves basketball programs. ACU and Lamar can't afford d2 games at home. I doubt CMU gives a damn about their basketball program.

None of those teams you mentioned consider themselves basketball programs. ACU and Lamar can't afford d2 games at home. I doubt CMU gives a damn about their basketball program.
Lamar already played Wiley College and has OLLU later in the year. ACU has 3 D2 home opponents this season, so they can obviously afford those games too.

Lamar already played Wiley College and has OLLU later in the year. ACU has 3 D2 home opponents this season, so they can obviously afford those games too.
Ok so then why did you mention those teams? That's the way the schedule worked out. We got the D2 games earlier than ACU. Not everything is designed to shit on the fans. Please pardon Senter for setting up his coach to be successful.

Ok so then why did you mention those teams? That's the way the schedule worked out. We got the D2 games earlier than ACU. Not everything is designed to shit on the fans. Please pardon Senter for setting up his coach to be successful.
UTEP is no better than those teams than. UTEP has no business playing NMMU

The basketball team needs to take pay games and go on the road. These division 2 games don't count on their official record with the NCAA and are pointless.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
The basketball team needs to take pay games and go on the road. These division 2 games don't count on their official record with the NCAA and are pointless.
They’re pointless even if we play on the road against the likes of Duke and Kentucky. UTEP is in a 1-bid conference. The only way they’re getting into the NCAA Tournament is to win the conference tournament - PERIOD!

They’re pointless even if we play on the road against the likes of Duke and Kentucky. UTEP is in a 1-bid conference. The only way they’re getting into the NCAA Tournament is to win the conference tournament - PERIOD!
Completely agree. The regular season is meaningless.

But you play real competition and will be on TV. How many are tuning into CUSATV for tonight’s game? Only UTEP fans and the parents of NMMUs players. No random person will tune into this.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
We play the #3 team in the country and still don't get on TV. Hey at least we'll be on espn+.

Because we’re closer to Lamar and ACU now than a good team.
Then we're scheduling accordingly. LT played at #14 Alabama and lost by 30. Did they really learn more about their team than we will by beating a d2 team? And let's not forget LT is supposed to be one of the better teams in CUSA. They won 24 games last year. Schools that can't afford guaranteed wins at home go on the road. I'm glad we're able to buy wins.

Then we're scheduling accordingly. LT played at #14 Alabama and lost by 30. Did they really learn more about their team than we will by beating a d2 team? Schools that can't afford paydays at home go on the road. I'm glad we're able to buy wins.
Yes. Yes they did. They have to get better. UTEP learns nothing from tonight. Only that Oyenma can dunk over 6’5” centers while being up 20, at home in front of 3,000 people sitting on their hands.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Yes. Yes they did. They have to get better. UTEP learns nothing from tonight. Only that Oyenma can dunk over 6’5” centers while being up 20, at home in front of 3,000 people sitting on their hands.
LT learned so much from their whopping at Alabama that they bearly squeezed by Jackson St at home in front of less than 3000.

Jackson St was 11-0 in conference last year. I’d rather lose to Bama and beat JSU than beat NNMU.
Swac was rated 31 of 32 last year. I rather do what we're doing than anything you suggest. Doesn't make a difference if we're playing NNMU or Jackson St you still won't show up or at the very minimum buy a ticket in support of the program.

Yeah, things like improving, gelling as a team, hitting stride…those things are meaningless.
That's why I would rather them go on the road and play real competition. That can help them develop and help them when the season starts in March. Playing meaningless games against d2 teams where guys can stuff their stat lines doesn't help the team in my opinion.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
That's why I would rather them go on the road and play real competition. That can help them develop and help them when the season starts in March. Playing meaningless games against d2 teams where guys can stuff their stat lines doesn't help the team in my opinion.
Last year we literally played a top 10 team right before the conference tournament. Played them tough and we still had the same result in the conference tournament a few days later. One and done.

Last year we literally played a top 10 team right before the conference tournament. Played them tough and we still had the same result in the conference tournament a few days later. One and done.
That was one game. UTEP was motivated KU slept walk for about 30 minutes.

If you play tough road games early in it can battle test a team and make them tougher. That would be way more beneficial than playing d2 schools.

Maybe I misunderstood you. Perhaps you’re saying results during the regular season are meaningless?

Otherwise it wouldn’t matter if we played D2 teams, NAIA teams or the Kansas’ of the cbb world.

That was one game. UTEP was motivated KU slept walk for about 30 minutes.

If you play tough road games early in it can battle test a team and make them tougher. That would be way more beneficial than playing d2 schools.
WKU had a great team last season. They're an experienced team with a ton of talent. Played a tough ooc schedule. (Memphis, #15 West Virginia, #24 Lousiville, Alabama) Same result. No NCAA tournament.

UNT played a 2-22 Mississippi Valley St, 4-21 Arkansas Pine Bluff, 6-19 HBU, can't even find what LSU-Alexandria's record was. NCAA Tournament and a win.

Last edited:
WKU had a great team last season. They're an experienced team with a ton of talent. Played a tough ooc schedule. Same result. No NCAA tournament.
In a one bid league where the regular season results are meaningless the conference tournaments are crapshoots. The best team rarely wins. The debate really is how do you have your team best prepared to win three or four games in a row in March. Some here think cream puffs are the way to go. I think tough occ road games are the way to go.

In a one bid league where the regular season results are meaningless the conference tournaments are crapshoots. The best team rarely wins. The debate really is how do you have your team best prepared to win three or four games in a row in March. Some here think cream puffs are the way to go. I think tough occ road games are the way to go.
I think both ways work as UNT showed last year. In 2019 ODU's only road games were at 13-20 Richmond, 14-19 St Joseph's and 20-14 Syracuse. The rest were home games and MTE. They still won the tournament despite not really testing themselves on the road against tough teams.

Swac was rated 31 of 32 last year. I rather do what we're doing than anything you suggest. Doesn't make a difference if we're playing NNMU or Jackson St you still won't show up or at the very minimum buy a ticket in support of the program.
Yeah, I wouldn’t go to this game, but me attending games doesn’t do anything on the court. Keep trying to deflect the real issue though.

Yeah, I wouldn’t go to this game, but me attending games doesn’t do anything on the court. Keep trying to deflect the real issue though.
It's like voting. If you don't vote then don't b*tch about the outcome. If you don't attend games then don't b*tch about the teams we're playing.

There is no issue. It's a first year coach with 6 new players. Even UNM does the same. Only difference is they call it an exhibition game. Still have no trouble selling tickets for it.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT