ADVERTISEMENT

Not that Natalicio or Stull care but I will not attend anymore basketball games until Floyd is gone.

Floyd is bringing a negative light on Utep Basketball and hiring this program the longer he stays.

And while I'm at it.... I'm 75 percent sure that Floyd does not have a relationship that is genuine and sincere with his players I am 100 percent sre that he does not have one at all with Miner Fans or the community on general. Because of that he is now feeling the backlash of being an uncaring arrogant dick.

Someone posted this in the den and for the most part it's exactly how I feel...

What are you going to do?

Floyd is a proven winner and he does have a winning record even here in El Paso. He has his own way that he coaches with no gray area. We all understood that when he came in. What we understood with that was he would bring in kids that agree to that style. That is fighting with the fact that kids are a lot different now than they were 10yrs ago. NCAA basketball has become a 1 and done, transfer happy, & settle for D league/Euro ball institution. We are also a mid major school which is a shit show compared to the Big 5 conferences. He really is trying to get us back to glory and is the only coach that wants to be here. All other coaches see us as a stepping stool.
To make up for all these crazy ass changes, we are going to run into a Winn type situation a lot and we are going to see over recruiting and then picking the cream of that crop. We are also going to see a low patience level from fans when post play is not coming as quickly as we want. We are not going to see glory days when we have a revolving door for coaches. LA Tech & Tulsa are quick examples that come to mind. They might have had a good year, but it will be short lived when they lose the 1st or 2nd game in the tournament then change coaches only to see another 4-8yrs of growth.

I call bullshit on that formula

Floyd needs a little more rope and a smarter fan base. I looked at that write up on Winn a little deeper and saw that Winn is totally wrong. Winn has not been playing well this year and Floyd is coaching the kid up to being a better player. Winn is not going to learn a damn thing when he fights a coach that is trying to help him. Then the kid has the audacity to say coach sent him home because "he didn't want to argue." That is Winn's interpretation of "I am not going to change." Then he decides to leave which means he is about himself 1st and not his team. Everyone who is reading this can name at least 5 super stars the Haskins ran into the same situation with and helped them become superior college and/or Pro players. I'm actually glad this crap happened early, because it will get other talented kids more time on the floor.

I'm totally fine with questioning CTF and his decisions, because that is a part of the position. What I am not OK with are the fans that fail to understand the current culture of the sport and not see we have a coach that is fighting to keep the integrity of the sport and the school. Fans have been giving CTF crap ever since he lost Arnett Moultrie then the CUSA title against Memphis here at home and it has grown and grown.

Everyone wants a Josh Pastner type coach. He is a players coach, but look at what happened to him. He couldn't get his super talented teams to the dance after Coach Calipari's kids were all gone. That type of coach doesn't work for us mid majors. CTF needs more rope. What we really need is an Athletic Director that holds all coaches accountable and helps to get all programs to be successful.

Don't blame the coach. Blame the athletic director for not fighting hard enough. I came to the conclusion that Stull is the one who needs to go and not Kugs or Floyd.

I agree ........... its easy to hold the coaches accountable, but when are we going to start holding the players accountable. I understand that it is the coaches job to get the kids prepared, but at the end of the day the kids are the ones on the floor or field and are not producing.... Kids today are really sheltered and always think that the grass is greener on the other side. As soon as they are reprimanded, they quit, I know this as I have this issues with some of my younger employees

While I agree to a point faithful, bottom line comes down to the boss/head coach. If you have a hard a$$ coach that runs people off for whatever reason, but comes out and talks about it with the media/fans, it's easier to understand and side with him. When the coach just chooses to be a pr*^& with everyone, it makes you believe he's just an overall pr(*&.

I do agree that the entitled kids need a swift kick in the butt. I understand Flaggert comes from a rich family, but look at his work ethic. Maybe that's why he is still around.

While I agree to a point faithful, bottom line comes down to the boss/head coach. If you have a hard a$$ coach that runs people off for whatever reason, but comes out and talks about it with the media/fans, it's easier to understand and side with him. When the coach just chooses to be a pr*^& with everyone, it makes you believe he's just an overall pr(*&.

I do agree that the entitled kids need a swift kick in the butt. I understand Flaggert comes from a rich family, but look at his work ethic. Maybe that's why he is still around.

He's a "Yes sir", "No sir" kid. He was raised to have a strong work ethic and be respectful. So was Touchet. Paul Thomas. Matt Willms. Floyd either needs a full team of kids like them or he needs to adapt to the kids that make up 80% of the rosters across America. It does no good for Floyd to hammer his old school mentality into the millennial mind set. Coaches who are caught up in the right or wrong of the way kids are these days are missing the point. IT IS WHAT IT IS. Adapt or change your recruiting strategy to suit your temperament. I'm not saying guidance isn't possible/necessar, but Floyd ain't gonna change nobody. He fits the common definition of insanity by doing the same damn thing and expecting different results.

He's a "Yes sir", "No sir" kid. He was raised to have a strong work ethic and be respectful. So was Touchet. Paul Thomas. Matt Willms. Floyd either needs a full team of kids like them or he needs to adapt to the kids that make up 80% of the rosters across America. It does no good for Floyd to hammer his old school mentality into the millennial mind set. Coaches who are caught up in the right or wrong of the way kids are these days are missing the point. IT IS WHAT IT IS. Adapt or change your recruiting strategy to suit your temperament. I'm not saying guidance isn't possible/necessar, but Floyd ain't gonna change nobody. He fits the common definition of insanity by doing the same damn thing and expecting different results.
How well can a coach know a kid that he is recruiting until they actually show up on campus? Every kid is a gamble. I think it is easier for the player to know what kind of coach he is getting rather than the other way around. The player needs to research the coach to make sure he can handle his style. Kids can't expect the coach to change his ways once they commit. Using your quote, "IT IS WHAT IT IS". Players need to adapt to the coach or never commit to the university that coach is at. It's not hard to find out what kind of coach your getting before you sign. Everyone knows Coach Gillespie is a hard ass but he never had a problem getting and keeping his players. How is this different?

How well can a coach know a kid that he is recruiting until they actually show up on campus? Every kid is a gamble. I think it is easier for the player to know what kind of coach he is getting rather than the other way around. The player needs to research the coach to make sure he can handle his style. Kids can't expect the coach to change his ways once they commit. Using your quote, "IT IS WHAT IT IS". Players need to adapt to the coach or never commit to the university that coach is at. It's not hard to find out what kind of coach your getting before you sign. Everyone knows Coach Gillespie is a hard ass but he never had a problem getting and keeping his players. How is this different?

What's different is the "getting and keeping players" part.

Purple, I too agree with that posters assessment. Very fair and scientific. I have a huge problem with posters like Jimmy The Whiner because they spout off their take on what Floyd, Natalicio and Stull "think". These posters claim to "know" what they "care" and "don't care" about. Floyd's right-hand man in recruiting is a former player, Cooper. Ask him what Floyd cares about. He actually knows first-hand. These posters (trolls) that claim they will no longer support the team until they get what they want are not true fans. Cubs fans, Cowboys fans back their teams through thick and thin. Yes, please go away but STFU and go follow the Patriots and Alabama or some such automatic winner and...man that was a great game at the Sun Bowl Saturday! Had a blast!

Reactions: miner1liner
...Cowboys fans back their teams through thick and thin...

28682-Hell-no-gif-CD0Y.jpeg

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx

Really? One is an adult and the other is a kid. Is your judgement any better as an adult than when you were 17 or 18? I know mine is.

Also, Floyd is trying to sell himself and his program. He will put his best face forward and families will often times buy that.

I have a kid playing college athletics. We put our due diligence in and researched all of the programs/coaches that offered my son. What one finds on paper isn't necessarily an accurate reflection of a program. While I agree with you that kids need to be flexible and coachable, the brunt of it falls square on the coach, as he is ultimately who is responsible for the program. The best coaches seem to be stern, yet flexible, and have good relationships with their players. I don't know you, but you sound a lot like Floyd.[/QUOTE]

Vegas your about as far out of touch as Floyd. I'll keep it simple there are not enough of your type fan in El Paso to put enough fans in the seats to keep the business running. If this was a true business the sign might already be on the door.
You may want to let Stull/Floyd have there way with our once proud rich basketball tradition but I don't and if you think this stock is going up I've got some ocean front property in Las Cruces I'll sell you cheap.THIS IS A PENNY STOCK. And I'm happy that you went and supported but I won't and it's obvious that there are alot more of me than there is of you and your dwindling by the day.
Your comparison to the cubs and cowboys is ridiculous.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
What's different is the "getting and keeping players" part.
Yeah not sure what the difference is. I just think the kids know ahead of time what Gillespie is and they are mentally prepared to deal with him. Floyd's recruits apparently have not done their homework on Floyd and are not mentally or physically ready for what they are going to experience. Who knows?

Really? One is an adult and the other is a kid. Is your judgement any better as an adult than when you were 17 or 18? I know mine is.

Also, Floyd is trying to sell himself and his program. He will put his best face forward and families will often times buy that.

I have a kid playing college athletics. We put our due diligence in and researched all of the programs/coaches that offered my son. What one finds on paper isn't necessarily an accurate reflection of a program. While I agree with you that kids need to be flexible and coachable, the brunt of it falls square on the coach, as he is ultimately who is responsible for the program. The best coaches seem to be stern, yet flexible, and have good relationships with their players. I don't know you, but you sound a lot like Floyd.
[/QUOTE]
I have followed Coach Floyd since his Haskins days. I am not him but I do believe that he is a good coach. I have 6 children that I have coached in various sports. I have played sports my whole life and I have played for a bunch of "hard-ass type coaches" and "player coaches". I knew even as a teenager which coaches fell into what category. So if you go were to go and play for say a Billy Gillespie you wouldn't know his style of coaching? Your comment that your kid is only 17 or 18 sounds silly to me. If your child is truly playing at the college level then he should know about coaches and how they yell and degrade you. Run you into the ground and make you throw up while they try to get the best out of you. If you can't handle it then play for fun at the YMCA. I don't know one coach who doesn't yell or make life miserable for their players. Even the "player coaches" will run you into the ground. I enjoyed playing for both types of coaches. Should a coach be flexible? It depends on what your talking about. Rules are rules and they need to followed. Going to class is not negotiable. Not getting into trouble with the law is not negotiable. Be respectful, work hard, pass your classes, represent the university in a positive manner, respect the coaches, respect the game. My 14 and 13 year old boys have had some hard core coaches (since they were 5) and they go back for more. They know it's not personal. Do they always like it? ....No but they understand it. Stop disabling the kids they are smarter than you think. Now to the coach "putting his best face forward". Really what coach doesn't put their best face forward when trying to recruit a kid? That is a ridiculous comment. I guess being an a** with the parents during the recruitment is the way to go?

I followed Coach Floyd since his Haskins days. I am not him but I do believe that he is a good coach. I have 6 children that I have coached in various sports. I have played sports my whole life and I have played for a bunch of "hard-ass type coaches" and "player coaches". I knew even as a teenager which coaches fell into what category. So if you go were to go and play for say a Billy Gillespie you wouldn't know his style of coaching? Your comment that your kid is only 17 or 18 sounds silly to me. If your child is truly playing at the college level then he should know about coaches and how they yell and degrade you. Run you into the ground and make you throw up while they try to get the best out of you. If you can't handle it then play for fun at the YMCA. I don't know one coach who doesn't yell or make life miserable for their players. Even the "player coaches" will run you into the ground. I enjoyed playing for both types of coaches. Should a coach be flexible? It depends on what your talking about. Rules are rules and they need to followed. Going to class is not negotiable. Not getting into trouble with the law is not negotiable. Be respectful, work hard, pass your classes, represent the university in a positive manner, respect the coaches, respect the game. My 14 and 13 year old boys have had some hard core coaches (since they were 5) and they go back for more. They know it's not personal. Do they always like it? ....No but they understand it. Stop disabling the kids they are smarter than you think. Now to the coach "putting his best face forward". Really what coach doesn't put their best face forward when trying to recruit a kid? That is a ridiculous comment. I guess being an a** with the parents during the recruitment is the way to go?[/QUOTE]

DaMinerMan,
First of all you seem have put a bunch of words into my mouth. Like you didn't really read my comments. My kid is not 17 years old. My kid is 21. I was talking about all kids in general, and how their decision making process at 17-18 is not as developed as an adult's. Can you truly argue that? Rest assured that my son has never been coddled and knows probably more than anyone on this board, unless they have played college football themselves, what hard ass training and hard ass coaches are all about. Play for Mark Mangino, known for as a hard ass even among hard asses, for a couple years and you won't be able to avoid that.

There is a huge difference between a coach being a hard ass and a coach who is a tyrannical in his approach, which leads me to believe my point flew over your head. I'm not quite sure why you're claiming to know what goes on during the recruiting process and how a coach pitches himself and his program...unless you've gone through the process yourself. Sales people most often give one side of the truth and so do coaches. We had about 10-12 in our living room whose self description did not always match their rep. I also mentioned that my son did his due diligence, but most of these athletes don't have the kind of informed and supportive system my son has. I wasn't talking about knowing coaching style, because yes that is part of the homework that is involved in choosing a school. What I am talking about is that one often times has no idea what a coach's true colors are, or the measure of his character until they have day to day interactions with him. And by then, guess what. It's a little late.

I have no interest in swaying how you think of Floyd. But nor will I censor my own take on a coach, who I was thrilled to have when he was hired, but that has done nothing to enhance this program since his arrival, and has actually taken it to depths rarely seen around here. I remember Floyd from the Haskins years as well, and kept track of him through all of his various stops. There is a reason he has a lousy rep outside El Paso. I read all of your "shoulds" and "shouldnts" and shake my head. You sound like perhaps you come from a family where proper care was given to your upbringing and you "learned" the virtues of which you speak. I worked with so called at-risk-kids for over 15 years. Many of these athletes from inner cities and one parent homes will tell you to take your "shoulds" and stick them up your pie hole. It took me a little while to get that. One has to find common ground to be able to guide the kind of kid Floyd is constantly pushing away. This is getting long as a MFer so I'll leave it at that. We are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

I followed Coach Floyd since his Haskins days. I am not him but I do believe that he is a good coach. I have 6 children that I have coached in various sports. I have played sports my whole life and I have played for a bunch of "hard-ass type coaches" and "player coaches". I knew even as a teenager which coaches fell into what category. So if you go were to go and play for say a Billy Gillespie you wouldn't know his style of coaching? Your comment that your kid is only 17 or 18 sounds silly to me. If your child is truly playing at the college level then he should know about coaches and how they yell and degrade you. Run you into the ground and make you throw up while they try to get the best out of you. If you can't handle it then play for fun at the YMCA. I don't know one coach who doesn't yell or make life miserable for their players. Even the "player coaches" will run you into the ground. I enjoyed playing for both types of coaches. Should a coach be flexible? It depends on what your talking about. Rules are rules and they need to followed. Going to class is not negotiable. Not getting into trouble with the law is not negotiable. Be respectful, work hard, pass your classes, represent the university in a positive manner, respect the coaches, respect the game. My 14 and 13 year old boys have had some hard core coaches (since they were 5) and they go back for more. They know it's not personal. Do they always like it? ....No but they understand it. Stop disabling the kids they are smarter than you think. Now to the coach "putting his best face forward". Really what coach doesn't put their best face forward when trying to recruit a kid? That is a ridiculous comment. I guess being an a** with the parents during the recruitment is the way to go?

DaMinerMan,
First of all you seem have put a bunch of words into my mouth. Like you didn't really read my comments. My kid is not 17 years old. My kid is 21. I was talking about all kids in general, and how their decision making process at 17-18 is not as developed as an adult's. Can you truly argue that? Rest assured that my son has never been coddled and knows probably more than anyone on this board, unless they have played college football themselves, what hard ass training and hard ass coaches are all about. Play for Mark Mangino, known for as a hard ass even among hard asses, for a couple years and you won't be able to avoid that.

There is a huge difference between a coach being a hard ass and a coach who is a tyrannical in his approach, which leads me to believe my point flew over your head. I'm not quite sure why you're claiming to know what goes on during the recruiting process and how a coach pitches himself and his program...unless you've gone through the process yourself. Sales people most often give one side of the truth and so do coaches. We had about 10-12 in our living room whose self description did not always match their rep. I also mentioned that my son did his due diligence, but most of these athletes don't have the kind of informed and supportive system my son has. I wasn't talking about knowing coaching style, because yes that is part of the homework that is involved in choosing a school. What I am talking about is that one often times has no idea what a coach's true colors are, or the measure of his character until they have day to day interactions with him. And by then, guess what. It's a little late.

I have no interest in swaying how you think of Floyd. But nor will I censor my own take on a coach, who I was thrilled to have when he was hired, but that has done nothing to enhance this program since his arrival, and has actually taken it to depths rarely seen around here. I remember Floyd from the Haskins years as well, and kept track of him through all of his various stops. There is a reason he has a lousy rep outside El Paso. I read all of your "shoulds" and "shouldnts" and shake my head. You sound like perhaps you come from a family where proper care was given to your upbringing and you "learned" the virtues of which you speak. I worked with so called at-risk-kids for over 15 years. Many of these athletes from inner cities and one parent homes will tell you to take your "shoulds" and stick them up your pie hole. It took me a little while to get that. One has to find common ground to be able to guide the kind of kid Floyd is constantly pushing away. This is getting long as a MFer so I'll leave it at that. We are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.[/QUOTE]

I get it. I guess I just get tired of players getting a free pass when coaches get slammed for things that are not always within their control.

Last edited:
There are two types of coaches you get. One in the living room when you're getting recruited and one on the field. Rarely do the two meet in person.

UT Arlington beat Texas.

If UTEP can somehow unload Floyd, it should go after the UT Arlington coach. Floyd makes $600k while Cross makes about $200k.

"Just days ahead of the Sun Belt tournament, UT Arlington and coach Scott Cross have agreed to a four-year contract extension that will keep him in charge of the men’s basketball program through 2019-20.

Cross, UTA’s all-time winningest coach, delivered the second-best season in program history with 22 wins in his contract year with a conference tournament and postseason still to come.

The terms of the deal have not been disclosed yet, but Cross said his only focus was the length and security of the deal rather than the salary.

“I’m not motivated by money,” Cross said. “I’m motivated by doing something that’s never been done before. I’m motivated by winning championships.”

Cross was making $200,000 per year during his last contract that ran from 2012-16, and it’s unclear if his new extension will increase that number.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/mens-basketball/article64734722.html#storylink=cpy

Reactions: UTEP05
If UTEP can somehow unload Floyd, it should go after the UT Arlington coach. Floyd makes $600k while Cross makes about $200k.

"Just days ahead of the Sun Belt tournament, UT Arlington and coach Scott Cross have agreed to a four-year contract extension that will keep him in charge of the men’s basketball program through 2019-20.

Cross, UTA’s all-time winningest coach, delivered the second-best season in program history with 22 wins in his contract year with a conference tournament and postseason still to come.

The terms of the deal have not been disclosed yet, but Cross said his only focus was the length and security of the deal rather than the salary.

“I’m not motivated by money,” Cross said. “I’m motivated by doing something that’s never been done before. I’m motivated by winning championships.”

Cross was making $200,000 per year during his last contract that ran from 2012-16, and it’s unclear if his new extension will increase that number.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/mens-basketball/article64734722.html#storylink=cpy

Cross is a winner in every sense of the word -- UTA is lucky to have him.

He will probably stay put and wait for a choice P5 school and skip a G5 program entirely. He can write his own ticket.

Reactions: unihorn

That would be a helluva hire. Not sure how that dude is still at UTA only making 200K.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Cross is not getting it done in conference. You want consistency, because that's all a mid major has. Tennessee and Xavier can lose to a mid major during Thanksgiving but get some quality wins in conference and get invited. But a UTEP, MTSU, or UAB can't afford to lost to a power school during OOC play and also come in second in the conference or conference tournament. CUSA teams do not have that luxury.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT