ADVERTISEMENT

Official Sun Bowl Domers vs. Beavers thread

Yeah. Doesn’t mean you’re going to do it to go see San Jose St in El Paso.
I don’t know. We have some really nice downtown hotels now, great Mexican food, usually nice winter weather.

You yourself said these are fans with money. It’s an easy and relatively cheap call to come here and have some fun in support of your team.

Reactions: EPUTEP
I don’t know. We have some really nice downtown hotels now, great Mexican food, usually nice winter weather.

You yourself said these are fans with money. It’s an easy and relatively cheap call to come here and have some fun in support of your team.
This is the problem that the Sun Bowl has. In my opinion, I don’t think B12 fans will travel here to see MWC teams. I don’t think many will travel here period, regardless of the team. Just like when UTEP goes to a bowl outside the region.

How many Oregon St fans are going to be there today? Probably not many. I would bet a lot of them live outside of Oregon too.

Is there a realistic way to increase the payout by the Sun Bowl to attract better teams? That's one of those behind-the-scenes jobs that would determine how well Bernie Olivas is doing. A previous comment was on getting more out of town visitors to come to the game. That's a good idea, but which conference tie ins would fit that bill? Any thoughts?

As with pretty much everything else, it's about the money. Olivas or his successor needs to sign a sponsor that will put up more and get a TV contract that pays for broadcast rights.

The Sun Bowl, as mentioned, has sadly been passed up by too many other, newer bowls and that won't change until the Sun Bowl can match those bowls paying out at least 8 million.

As with pretty much everything else, it's about the money. Olivas or his successor needs to sign a sponsor that will put up more and get a TV contract that pays for broadcast rights.

The Sun Bowl, as mentioned, has sadly been passed up by too many other, newer bowls and that won't change until the Sun Bowl can match those bowls paying out at least 8 million.
It’ll be a sad day IMO if ESPN gains a total monopoly over all of CFB.

Reactions: FeralFelidae

Who cares man, it’s a great game every year. We should just be happy the ACC and Pac 12 allow us to pay them money for their presence, or should I say presents?

• Haha
Reactions: TxRdKiller
Honestly, I think big 12 and mountain west. They are closest and could bring more people. That would help with them staying in hotels and renting cars.
Filling the bowl is cool, but doesn't move the needle at all on financing it.

Having Mountain West teams would be a horrible idea.

You're correct. The answer to most questions is MONEY.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Another thing the Sun Bowl was once known for but no longer happens is a Halftime Show.
Stop complaining man! This is a great game every year!!! This year’s game was a blow out and over in the 3rd quarter, but it was still great. We are lucky that Notre Dame and Oregon St visited El Paso for $4,000,000 plus each!!!

Stop complaining man! This is a great game every year!!! This year’s game was a blow out and over in the 3rd quarter, but it was still great. We are lucky that Notre Dame and Oregon St visited El Paso for $4,000,000 plus each!!!

I know right.

I think I can do as good of a job and would be super happy with that pay.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I know right.

I think I can do as good of a job and would be super happy with that pay.
What do you have against Bernie? Let’s see you pull names out of a hat and get Notre Dame. I’d like to see you spend someone else’s money traveling to Pac 12 and ACC games every weekend during the season. Even though, you don’t actually get to select the teams you want and have to settle most years!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT