ADVERTISEMENT

OPT and Game Thread: Men's Hoops @ UT

Just a few minutes ago we had it in single digits, now it's getting embarrassing

Other thoughts as more fouls are called:
  • Can UTEP athletics provide the coaching staff better sideline apparel than medical scrubs? Guess the Adidas move is warranted
  • Cant build connections with the new players if I don’t know who the hell they are - names on the back of the jersey would be great!
  • Why is Coach Rodrigo Terry rockin’ Cartier blue light glasses? We get it you love Perry’s Steak House!
  • Moody does look dope

Reactions: denverutep
I predicted a 26 point loss, so I can't say I'm disappointed because I expected a blowout loss. I was really hoping they would lose by single digits.

The NMSU game will say a lot about our team. NMSU beat Western New Mexico 99-75 and New Mexico Highlands 101-52.

Ok, I'll jump early in early on post game thoughts:

Best players tonight: Z and Kalu. Played their hearts out and played really well.

Next best: Solomon, Frazier, and I'll go ahead and include Sibley.

Disappointing tonight: Tae Hardy and most especially disappointing was Shamar Givance. The dude just struggled all night. Even had a 10 second violation getting the ball across mid-court. Despite our plethora of smalls, we have lots of work to do with our guard play.

I predicted a 26 point loss, so I can't say I'm disappointed because I expected a blowout loss. I was really hoping they would lose by single digits.

The NMSU game will say a lot about our team. NMSU beat Western New Mexico 99-75 and New Mexico Highlands 101-52.
And you watched your aggys like this:

inglorious-basterds-call-me.gif

• Haha
Reactions: FarWestTexas

Best players tonight: Z and Kalu. Played their hearts out and played really well.

Disappointing tonight: Tae Hardy and most especially disappointing was Shamar Givance. The dude just struggled all night. Even had a 10 second violation getting the ball across mid-court. Despite our plethora of smalls, we have lots of work to do with our guard play.
Who'd a thunk? That's a great surprise. Looks like Golding knew what he was doing in the "Bigs" department.

I’m actually very optimistic after this game. Yes, it was sloppy. Yes, we struggled. Yes, it was ugly but our team showed fight and never gave up. This is definitely a Joe Golding type of team and this was what I was looking forward to ever since he was hired.

Expected a blow out loss. This team has fight. First game sloppiness but it was live fire for this new platoon. Z will be a force this year, he has to be. Kalu looked good but still gets beat but this wasn’t Sul Ross we were playing. Rebounding was solid especially in second half, we outrebonded them! 12 offensive. We are way more athletic than I anticipated. Got some home cooking but wouldn’t have made it closer.

Sibley blended into the floor. He can’t do that in conference play. Grivance getting blamed a little too much but needs to get more aggressive driving. Transitional D needs improved but this was a good Texas guard led team.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
I’m actually very optimistic after this game. Yes, it was sloppy. Yes, we struggled. Yes, it was ugly but our team showed fight and never gave up. This is definitely a Joe Golding type of team and this was what I was looking forward to ever since he was hired.
And it was the first game so I’m hoping the errors get worked out by conference

I agree whole-heartedly. This game actually gives me hope about this season. Our rebounding was such a turnaround from last year it's quite remarkable. And we were mostly disciplined about our game plan to pound the ball inside. We got a bit 3-point happy in the 2nd half but it was for only a minute here and there.

This team is going to compete for a CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP. You heard it here first.

I agree whole-heartedly. This game actually gives me hope about this season. Our rebounding was such a turnaround from last year it's quite remarkable. And we were mostly disciplined about our game plan to pound the ball inside. We got a bit 3-point happy in the 2nd half but it was for only a minute here and there.

This team is going to compete for a CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP. You heard it here first.

I hope every year, every team in the country competes for a conference championship. If you're not competing, then why bother playing?

Dissapointed in Solomon. 4 rebounds, 5 turnovers and zero blocks. 3-10 shooting, then flexing after a dunk when down 20 (That part left a bad taste in my mouth). Hopefully he can reel it in and play within the team. He'll get his, but he needs to play smarter and not try to force it so much.

Sibley with 7 rebounds and 2 blocks from the SF position.

Reactions: MinerManiac
True that! It'll be interesting to watch the interior defense over the season to see what changes.
I'm afraid it won't change. Its not that our guys cant defend the rim, its that they are out of position and are taught that way. Golding's defense is like Dimel's offense. It will hurt us all year, especially in big games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT