ADVERTISEMENT

OPT and Game Thread: Men's Hoops @ UT

You were bragging about paying $100 for seats over a month ago and how, in your world, the tickets kept going up in value. No, you aren't smart. Center court seats were less than $50 today.
Someone who bought a ticket today isn't very smart.

I dont need proof cuz I lived it.

Someone gets good seats and you talk shit about overspending. Someone gets cheap seats and you talk shit about them too.

Not that it's not of your business but at the last minute a couple of friends wanted to go. I sold my single ticket and we all purchased a block of tickets together.

Sitting right in front of us was a big time UTEP booster. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by saying this

"It's hilarious that, for somebody who supposedly has a lot of money, you had some of the worst seats in the building."

LOL Like I said you're full of shit. You didn't buy a single ticket. It's funny how the truth comes out, just like when you cried when the cop stopped you for your car smelling like weed.

"I use Seat Geek.

Cheapest tickets are now $109. The cheapest ticket in Section 123 is $309.

In the area I bought my tickets for 2 months ago are now $50 more."

LOL Like I said you're full of shit. You didn't buy a single ticket. It's funny how the truth comes out, just like when you cried when the cop stopped you for your car smelling like weed.

"I use Seat Geek.

Cheapest tickets are now $109. The cheapest ticket in Section 123 is $309.

In the area I bought my tickets for 2 months ago are now $50 more."
You're just a random internet stranger. Your opinion or what you think of me means nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: denverutep
It's funny how you post more about me than you do about the game. Do you want to enjoy a morning with me?

Why do you care so much? Let people spend money how they see fit. Let it go already.

I don't. It's just funny when the truth comes out for for people that brag online claiming they have so much money and how money isn't an issue.

I don't. It's just funny when the truth comes out for for people that brag online claiming they have so much money and how money isn't an issue.
Come out to Austin. I'll take you out to Jeffrey's and show you money ain't an issue.

• Haha
Reactions: denverutep
It's funny how you post more about me than you do about the game. Do you want to enjoy a morning with me?

There wasn't much to talk about. We lost. Hopefully Saturday is a different outcome.

Nope, I only date woman. But you do you. Nothing wrong with what you choose to do.

First off, I love Z. I want him to do better because I can see what an amazing athlete he is. But is it me or does he get caught off guard with his back against the play often, leaving no time to react and help?

I was pleasantly surprised by this game. I had a feeling UTEP would cover the -23 I saw earlier in the day. Was very proud we cut it down to eight. That 10 sec violation just took out all our momentum. For a brief second I believed the upset was possible. For a team that is supposed to be lacking in the bigs department, I saw good things happen when we fed Z and Kalu down low. Also, is Dos Anjos going to be ok for the next game?

That sucked the wind right out of our sails. We never regained the momentum we had at that time.

And 7 rebounds with 2 blocks. Yes he could double the scoring, but our guards have to pick up the pace. I was expecting a lot more out of Hardy.
Agree. The guards overall need to be better on both ends. In the first half, the guards did a good job keeping the UT guards out of the paint, but the last 10 minutes of the second half, they couldn't stay in front of their man. Alot of that can be credited to the talent UT has, but we need to do a better job. We saw that often last year. Maybe having a guy like McKinney can help in that area; I just don't have alot of confidence he is a guy to count on off the court. I also think the injury to dos Anjos is something to keep an eye on. He is a guy that could potentially help out the offense with his versatility. I was anxious to finally watch Solomon in person. I thought he really tried to do too much offensively; and it showed in his 5 turnovers. He needs to be better. It was good to see the team finally make some outside shots in the second half. It is tough overcoming 19 turnovers (14 in the first half), but Beard also emphasizes the defensive end. I thought overall, it was a solid showing. Hopefully we can shoot better and minimize the turnovers on Saturday. As Golding has mentioned, UTEP really needs to find a way of beating those guys.

Givance was a mixed bag. He was too chill and lax in my opinion but he couldn't be trapped either which was a nice surprise. If he can stay engaged more I think he'll be good.

Givance was a mixed bag. He was too chill and lax in my opinion but he couldn't be trapped either which was a nice surprise. If he can stay engaged more I think he'll be good.

I dunno, jdubb. Givance seemed to be fighting more to not be trapped than beating his man. He never created good driving or passing lanes for himself. Just seemed to pass the ball as he's about to be trapped which meant his passes were off.

I kinda see why Golding kept recruiting guards. Doesn't seem like he think's he's found his man yet. So he's just bringing in more and more guards hoping to find a good one in the mix.

I dunno, jdubb. Givance seemed to be fighting more to not be trapped than beating his man. He never created good driving or passing lanes for himself. Just seemed to pass the ball as he's about to be trapped which meant his passes were off.

I kinda see why Golding kept recruiting guards. Doesn't seem like he think's he's found his man yet. So he's just bringing in more and more guards hoping to find a good one in the mix.
19 turnovers is way too many. I think we can chalk some of those up to first game gitters. Everyone was frantic and nervous. guys weren't moving well without the ball. The second half was far more composed. I think we can have a good team but of course there will be ups and downs most of the year with a new team.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
You are right on Lil. I'm not counting these guys out yet. There are a lot of pluses that I observed . The scoring distribution was proof that although there's no "Super Star" there's multiple guys that can score. I don't recall any previous Miner teams that rebounded like last night. They played tough and showed energy and at times played great defense.
The game's outcome could have been different if two of our best didn't have three fouls each right away, Dos Anjos played only one minute,

Reactions: Lil_Train
During pre game Golding stated, no emphatically stated, he did not want to run with Texas. "They'll blow us out...( if we get into a fast paced game)".

For some reason Givance took him literally.

Reactions: jdubb66
Alright here it goes…..

I’ll start by saying my betting number had Texas at like -30, mainly because I bet a lot on Texas last year and had a pretty stupid positive record so seeing the Miners play hard and not get pushed around for every single second of 40 minutes was impressive to me, they hung physically with them for the most part despite the height difference and UTEP is going to be small most of the year match up wise. I thought Texas was gonna mash UTEP like 88-50 Carr, Hunter and Allen are all future pros, but Golding coached to win and there is clearly some major trust between the UTEP players and coaches and that is cool as hell for a first game against Top 20 team in their new bad ass building which by the way, wasn’t very energetic for the first 32 mins or so. And the seats were good, not a bad seat in that joint Texas did it right and I’m jealous.

No surprise or hot take but UTEP is going to be a damn good defensive team. UTEP executed Golding’s game plan so well, Joe was chillin on the sidelines for most of the first 12 minutes of the game and UTEP rotated, communicated and made Texas earn everything, I felt it took TEXAS 12 minutes to get an easy basket and UTEP’s defensive principles (no middle, extend their towards half court, effect passing lanes) and make every shot difficult was pretty cool to watch. No animation, no screaming, just trust and his team responded but of course he did get after guys during timeouts but seeing his calm nature showed me this team is far ahead than expected.

offensively, Texas is longer, quicker, and way more athletic than the UTEP guards which is why UTEP struggled and guys were being passive and unsure on offense which is expected for game one. Guard play was bad, but I like the quickness from Hardy and Givance and they play so hard on defense, UTEP is gonna need McKinney to be scorer off the bench. Givance could average 9, 5, & 6 in CUSA play he plays hard and isn’t scared to rebound for his size. To Golding’s credit, I think he called every offensive set from 14 min mark until the under 8 min TO as his big offensive adjustment which worked but that damn backcourt call was the momentum changer right at the under 8 timeout and was the dagger.

overall, this team will be fine come CUSA play. There’s actual depth at the forward spot even with Dos Anjoz going down. Golding’s most experienced player in Sibley was the third “big” off the bench and played a solid and veteran like 30 mins. Solomon turned it over a lot but his energy is great and Frazier might shred some teams if he can be a more efficient scorer on isolations and PnR. UTEP didn’t flinch getting in early foul trouble in the first three minutes but guys stepped the **** up and like everyone is saying Z is good.

it’s November but it looks like UTEP has the “tools” be a very competitive team in the league and there’s plenty of time to grow, just hope they can stay healthy.

Big test against the Aggies this weekend that I’m excited for, hope yesterday is the only moral victory of the season, I love Joe Golding and trust the direction things are going even after a 15 point loss to Texas.

PS….Texas has a dope promotion, 5 dollar beers from when the gates open till tip off all season long, UTEP would never….

Last edited:
Alright here it goes…..

I’ll start by saying my betting number had Texas at like -30, mainly because I bet a lot on Texas last year and had a pretty stupid positive record so seeing the Miners play hard and not get pushed around for every single second of 40 minutes was impressive to me, they hung physically with them for the most part despite the height difference and UTEP is going to small most of the year match up wise. I thought Texas was gonna mash UTEP like 88-50 Carr, Hunter and Allen are all future pros, but Golding coached to win and there is clearly some major trust between the UTEP players and coaches and that is cool as hell for a first game against Top 20 team in their new bad ass building which by the way, wasn’t very energetic for the first 32 mins or so. And the seats were good, not a bad seat in that joint Texas did it right and I’m jealous.

no surprise or hot take but UTEP is going to be a damn good defensive team. UTEP executed Golding’s game plan so well, Joe was chillin on the sidelines for most of the first 12 minutes of the game and UTEP rotated, communicated and made Texas earn everything, I felt it took TEXAS 12 minutes to get an easy basket and UTEP’s defensive principles (no middle, extend their towards half court, effect passing lanes) and make every shot difficult was pretty cool to watch. No animation, no screaming, just trust and his team responded but of course he did get after guys during timeouts but seeing his calm nature showed me this team is far ahead than expected.

offensively, Texas is longer, quicker, and way more athletic than the UTEP guards which is why UTEP struggled and guys were being passive and unsure on offense which is expected for game one. Guard play was bad, but I like the quickness from Hardy and Givance and they play so hard on defense, UTEP is gonna need McKinney to be scorer off the bench. Givance could average 9, 5, & 6 in CUSA play he plays hard and isn’t scared to rebound for his size. To Golding’s credit, I think he called every offensive set from 14 min mark until the under 8 min TO as his big offensive adjustment which worked but that damn backcourt call was the momentum changer right at the under 8 timeout and was the dagger.

overall, this team will be fine come CUSA play. There’s actual depth at the forward spot even with Dos Anjoz going down. Golding’s most experienced player in Sibley was the third “big” off the bench and played a solid and veteran like 30 mins. Solomon turned it over a lot but his energy is great and Frazier might shred some teams if he can be a more efficient scorer on isolations and PnR. UTEP didn’t flinch getting in early foul trouble in the first three minutes but guys stepped the **** up and like everyone is saying Z is good.

it’s November but it looks like UTEP has the “tools” be a very competitive team in the league and there’s plenty of time to grow, just hope they can stay healthy.

Big test against the Aggies this weekend that I’m excited for, hope yesterday is the only moral victory of the season, I love Joe Golding and trust the direction things are going even after a 15 point loss to Texas.

PS….Texas has a dope promotion, 5 dollar beers from when the gates open till tip off all season long, UTEP would never….
Thanks big guy. Take a couple aspirin and some Alka Setlzer and sleep the rest off. Typing a drunk post at ten 'til three in the morning without butchering the English language is very impressive.
plop-plop-fizz-fizz-gif-2.gif

Reactions: Lil_Train
Alright here it goes…..

I’ll start by saying my betting number had Texas at like -30, mainly because I bet a lot on Texas last year and had a pretty stupid positive record so seeing the Miners play hard and not get pushed around for every single second of 40 minutes was impressive to me, they hung physically with them for the most part despite the height difference and UTEP is going to be small most of the year match up wise. I thought Texas was gonna mash UTEP like 88-50 Carr, Hunter and Allen are all future pros, but Golding coached to win and there is clearly some major trust between the UTEP players and coaches and that is cool as hell for a first game against Top 20 team in their new bad ass building which by the way, wasn’t very energetic for the first 32 mins or so. And the seats were good, not a bad seat in that joint Texas did it right and I’m jealous.

No surprise or hot take but UTEP is going to be a damn good defensive team. UTEP executed Golding’s game plan so well, Joe was chillin on the sidelines for most of the first 12 minutes of the game and UTEP rotated, communicated and made Texas earn everything, I felt it took TEXAS 12 minutes to get an easy basket and UTEP’s defensive principles (no middle, extend their towards half court, effect passing lanes) and make every shot difficult was pretty cool to watch. No animation, no screaming, just trust and his team responded but of course he did get after guys during timeouts but seeing his calm nature showed me this team is far ahead than expected.

Nice analysis. I couldn't watch the 1st half, but from what you said I suppose UTEP played fantastic defense. I did watch the 2nd half though and unfortunately saw us give up basket after basket at the rim. I'm sure it was not only the UT talent, but also our fatigue, foul trouble and strategy that led to UT shooting 70% from 2pt land. It would be nice if Golden could bend a little when our defense is getting broken to peices and allowing 20 points in the last 7 minute. Yes the Givance turnover killed some momentum, but it was our interior D that got murdered in the end. If we are a team that doesn't score much then that has to be fixed, otherwise we will fall in most big games.

I actually expected more from Texas — either that or Utep is gonna be a lot better than expected —— baylor is gonna roast Texas if they play that way

I actually expected more from Texas — either that or Utep is gonna be a lot better than expected —— baylor is gonna roast Texas if they play that way
Will the Miners be ready for NMSU? It’s been a tough month for UTEP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT