ADVERTISEMENT

OPT and Game Thread: Men's Hoops @ UT

Z was left alone down low on D. Those forwards need to slide down to help him. That’s what I saw.

I'm afraid it won't change. Golding's defense is like Dimel's offense. It will hurt us all year, especially in big games.
Get used to it. He pressures the back court big time; hence, why I said Z was left alone when Texas busted the D.

I’m actually very optimistic after this game. Yes, it was sloppy. Yes, we struggled. Yes, it was ugly but our team showed fight and never gave up. This is definitely a Joe Golding type of team and this was what I was looking forward to ever since he was hired.
I agree with you!

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Get used to it. He pressures the front court big time; hence, why I said Z was left alone when Texas busted the D.
He wasn't left alone. He is part of the perimeter pressure and is taught to always front his man on the block well. The only way it works is to have help off the ball coming from the weak side or the baseline. That was Sibley some of last year, hut now he is at SF. It will be our Achilles heel until Golding fixes it (if ever).

Reactions: MinerManiac
He wasn't left alone. He is part of the perimeter pressure and is taught to always front his man on the block well. The only way it works is to have help off the ball coming from the weak side or the baseline. That was Sibley some of last year, hut now he is at SF. It will be our Achilles heel until Golding fixes it (if ever).
True, but fowards need to slide down low to cut off those baseline dump offs. It will get better. This was a Big XII contender they were up against.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
3 days to prepare (according to what Golding just said in post game) for NMSU after this game and 2 scrum exhibition matches. That’s quiet a load folks! But if you want to contend for the only one spot bid in CUSA, you gotta be tough.

True, but fowards need to slide down low to cut off those baseline dump offs. It will get better. This was a Big XII contender they were up against.
We'll see. We had the same problem all of last season. It's a gimic defense that sacrifices rim defense for perimeter defense and puts the bigs out of position making them more foul prone.

Miner guards need to watch the hips on D when guarding but those UT guards were cat quick.

Like I said, I liked the good fight from UTEP but fight is part of preparation. Miners were flat footed too many times.

On the opposite side, Texas was caught off guard by the Miner athleticism. They tried like hell to blow it open but the Miners swung back many times tonight.

I liked what I saw when their backs were against it.

We fought. The team looked better than I thought they would. I don't think it was embarrassing but not a moral victory either. I hope we really are a good rebounding team. Our teams haven't rebounded well for a long long time. Beat Las Cruces and I'll be happy. Go Miners

Hard to tell in the first game what we have but 1. Our inside guys were either hurt or handcuffed much of the game but we hung in for much of the time 2. UT has some athletic players and so do we 3. We are way more physical than last year. 4. Rebounding, staying in front of your man and fighting off picks and screens all look better than last year. 5. We better find and inside game because our outside game looks weak 6. Disappointed in our passing we were up against a very good defensive team but we made ourselves easy to guard. 6. Going to need a step up guy to get shots when time run down.
Overall not a bad showing against a quality team and coach in a tough environment but got work to do and the next game will reveal more about us than this game does.

Man I got a lot of positive thoughts about this game. But….. I need to sober up a little bit and look over the stat sheet and I’ll start a thread when I’m coherent enough to put my write up together.

Shout out to Corona for the great tickets tonight he already got my hot takes all night lol, Moody Center is nice but Texas fans don’t know about a got damn thing abouut college hoops like people who grew up watching Miner ball do and I walked out the Moody Palace buzzed off Texas’ pregame happy hour specials and very encouraged of what “could be” in the coming months based off what i saw live tonight.

College basketball is back babbbbbbyyyyy!!

#TrustTheGoldingProcess

Man I got a lot of positive thoughts about this game. But….. I need to sober up a little bit and look over the stat sheet and I’ll start a thread when I’m coherent enough to put my write up together.

Shout out to Corona for the great tickets tonight he already got my hot takes all night lol, Moody Center is nice but Texas fans don’t know about a got damn thing abouut college hoops like people who grew up watching Miner ball do and I walked out the Moody Palace buzzed off Texas’ pregame happy hour specials and very encouraged of what “could be” in the coming months based off what i saw live tonight.

#TrustTheGoldingProcess

Glad you had fun on your date night with @JCorona! I still can't believe he paid over $100 each for terrible tickets behind the basket. LOL

One of the things I liked about the Moody Center is the projection screens they use to block off the top sections of the arena. It looks much nicer than tarps or empty seats. I wonder if it's something affordable that could be done at the DHC.

One of the things I liked about the Moody Center is the projection screens they use to block off the top sections of the arena. It looks much nicer than tarps or empty seats. I wonder if it's something affordable that could be done at the DHC.

I thought the game was sold out because you said tickets were selling for $100's?

They can't even get good lighting in the Haskins Center. You think they can afford projection screens?

#TrustTheGoldingProcess
Someone want to check on Bigwood this morning? 😝

First off, I love Z. I want him to do better because I can see what an amazing athlete he is. But is it me or does he get caught off guard with his back against the play often, leaving no time to react and help?

I was pleasantly surprised by this game. I had a feeling UTEP would cover the -23 I saw earlier in the day. Was very proud we cut it down to eight. That 10 sec violation just took out all our momentum. For a brief second I believed the upset was possible. For a team that is supposed to be lacking in the bigs department, I saw good things happen when we fed Z and Kalu down low. Also, is Dos Anjos going to be ok for the next game?

Cool pics but doesn't tell the entire story.

What's the entire story? I assume you have proof? There are a number of empty seats, not just "maybe a single seat here and there".

As usual, you are full of shit. You claim to be superior to everybody by bragging about overpaying for things and saying money isn't an issue to you. It's hilarious that, for somebody who supposedly has a lot of money, you had some of the worst seats in the building.

What's the entire story? I assume you have proof? There are a number of empty seats, not just "maybe a single seat here and there".

As usual, you are full of shit. You claim to be superior to everybody by bragging about overpaying for things and saying money isn't an issue to you. It's hilarious that, for somebody who supposedly has a lot of money, you had some of the worst seats in the building.
I dont need proof cuz I lived it.

Someone gets good seats and you talk shit about overspending. Someone gets cheap seats and you talk shit about them too.

Not that it's not of your business but at the last minute a couple of friends wanted to go. I sold my single ticket and we all purchased a block of tickets together.

Sitting right in front of us was a big time UTEP booster. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by saying this

"It's hilarious that, for somebody who supposedly has a lot of money, you had some of the worst seats in the building."

• Haha
Reactions: denverutep
I dont need proof cuz I lived it.

Someone gets good seats and you talk shit about overspending. Someone gets cheap seats and you talk shit about them too.

Not that it's not of your business but at the last minute a couple of friends wanted to go. I sold my single ticket and we all purchased a block of tickets together.

Sitting right in front of us was a big time UTEP booster. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by saying this

"It's hilarious that, for somebody who supposedly has a lot of money, you had some of the worst seats in the building."

LOL You are too funny. As usual, you have stupid responses to proof.

Good seats aren't behind the basket. LMAO

I said the people who paid cheap prices are smart. You have no ****ing clue what you're talking about.

All I said was you are are full of shit. You brag and brag and brag about money and how money isn't an issue to you and how you like to overpay for things. It's just funny when the truth comes out.

Reactions: MinerFan79
First off, I love Z. I want him to do better because I can see what an amazing athlete he is. But is it me or does he get caught off guard with his back against the play often, leaving no time to react and help?

I was pleasantly surprised by this game. I had a feeling UTEP would cover the -23 I saw earlier in the day. Was very proud we cut it down to eight. That 10 sec violation just took out all our momentum. For a brief second I believed the upset was possible. For a team that is supposed to be lacking in the bigs department, I saw good things happen when we fed Z and Kalu down low. Also, is Dos Anjos going to be ok for the next game?
Z's motor looked way better last night, but yes unfortunately his back is to play often because he is trying to recover from popping out on the perimeter and is left in a horrible position.

I hope Dos Anjos is ok. We will need his offense at the 4 when Solomon is struggling like he did last night.

We desperately need a 3rd guard to step up.

LOL You are too funny. As usual, you have stupid responses to proof.

Good seats aren't behind the basket. LMAO

I said the people who paid cheap prices are smart.
You have no ****ing clue what you're talking about.

All I said was you are are full of shit. You brag and brag and brag about money and how money isn't an issue to you and how you like to overpay for things. It's just funny when the truth comes out.
So then I'm smart.

• Haha
Reactions: denverutep
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT