ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Canadian Players vs American Players

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Canada Basketball is getting huge and the talent level is getting better. So many players coming out of Canada. How would you compare Top 50 Canadian players vs Top 50 American players?

Like THis guy from Canada he is # 10 in Canada. Where would he rank if he was in America? Does Rivals even rate players from Canada?

I would say that the Canadians are closing the gap pretty quick. RJ Barrett is the #1 ranked player in the 2018 recruiting class. He is Canadian, but played in high school at Monteverde in Florida for at least the past two years. He plays AAU in Canada.

Watching some highlights of the BioSteel All Canadian game (where Ezeagu started at center for one team), the players look very athletic and college ready. I would say that Ezeagu is on the verge of being a 4-star right now and his ceiling is high.

Osborne I would easily rate as a 3-star with a high ceiling too.

Last edited:
I would say that the Canadians are closing the gap pretty quick. RJ Barrett is the #1 ranked player in the 2018 recruiting class. He is Canadian, but played in high school at Monteverde in Florida for at least the past two years. He plays AAU in Canada.

Watching some highlights of the BioSteel All Canadian game (where Ezeagu started at center for one team), the players look very athletic and college ready. I would say that Ezeagu is on the verge of being a 4-star right now and his ceiling is high.

Osborne I would easily rate as a 3-star with a high ceiling too.

Toronto is turning into a hot spot for talent.I like that Terry has connections in Canada.

Canada Basketball is getting huge and the talent level is getting better. So many players coming out of Canada. How would you compare Top 50 Canadian players vs Top 50 American players?

Like THis guy from Canada he is # 10 in Canada. Where would he rank if he was in America? Does Rivals even rate players from Canada?
A) As they say in politics during election time, "it's the economy stupid!". Expect that as a residual effect as their economy gets even bigger.
B) Pipelines and transfers from the states. There is literally an underground, but public and legal (not necessarily moral at times) pipeline of players who put up money or have loved ones put up money to these dubious entities (some claiming to be "schools" or allegedly "legit" youth organizations to help young players) who have these kids wind up in Canada. Look, most are fine and operate within government guidelines and if hooked up with coaches with honest intent, they will get to play at some small Canadian college living their dream.
C) "Dream U Basketball" is money. Private schools built on athletic performance first. Seriously. They have been around for a while. The player get his necessary classes out of the way that are geared to their level (you interpret how you want. Everyone is different) but aggressively pursuing their dream of landing a college scholi (or at least an invite to walk on). It happens here and over there. Athletics first, academics second. Welcome to free market capitalism!

Good players have come out of there, but IMO, I would take a player from Spain, Brazil, Germany, or Australia over a Canadian. If you choose basketball over soccer, they cram the fundamentals down your throat.....like they should be crammed down your throat. Haskins style.

A) As they say in politics during election time, "it's the economy stupid!". Expect that as a residual effect as their economy gets even bigger.
B) Pipelines and transfers from the states. There is literally an underground, but public and legal (not necessarily moral at times) pipeline of players who put up money or have loved ones put up money to these dubious entities (some claiming to be "schools" or allegedly "legit" youth organizations to help young players) who have these kids wind up in Canada. Look, most are fine and operate within government guidelines and if hooked up with coaches with honest intent, they will get to play at some small Canadian college living their dream.
C) "Dream U Basketball" is money. Private schools built on athletic performance first. Seriously. They have been around for a while. The player get his necessary classes out of the way that are geared to their level (you interpret how you want. Everyone is different) but aggressively pursuing their dream of landing a college scholi (or at least an invite to walk on). It happens here and over there. Athletics first, academics second. Welcome to free market capitalism!

Good players have come out of there, but IMO, I would take a player from Spain, Brazil, Germany, or Australia over a Canadian. If you choose basketball over soccer, they cram the fundamentals down your throat.....like they should be crammed down your throat. Haskins style.
Top 50 to Top 50. Americans rule now, but that is changing quickly. Tim Hardaway said years ago the NBA will be all international and he's being proven right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT