ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Canelo vs GGG

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
GGG. KO round 10. If it goes the distance, they got to keep the score cards honest.Boxing already has a black eye (has been for a while on big fights).

GGG. KO round 10. If it goes the distance, they got to keep the score cards honest.Boxing already has a black eye (has been for a while on big fights).
GGG by knockout I hope. Thats the only way to guarantee a win nowadays (unless you can guarantee millions like Money Mayweather). Oh and they don't "got to" do anything. As long as people keep buying the fights then corruption will keep happening. Nobody has done a damn thing about it anyways. Its all unfair and tainted towards money.

Reactions: utep2step
I am hoping GGG by knockout. But Canelo had a noticeable speed advantage and he was able to control the fight when it was in the center of the ring and he could move. I hope GGG does a better job cutting off the ring and working the body.

Convicted? Are you serious? He punched a kid in the back of the head. He broke his cheekbone and gave the kid a concussion in front of many witnesses. And you need a conviction to be convinced that what he did was wrong?

I think it will go the distance but Canelo will win. I hope Canelo wins by KO to remove all doubt.

GGG was the clear winner last fight. It wasn't even close. Don't know what Canelo could do in such a short time to make up that ground.

The fact that canelo "likely" used steroids to try and make up that deficit speaks volumes to where his confidence is...

I think it will go the distance but Canelo will win. I hope Canelo wins by KO to remove all doubt.
Did you watch the 1st fight? GGG walked right through Canelo's best shots. Canelo did a good job of avoiding and countering GGG. I agree he needs to do that again, but better this time if he wants to win. I'm not saying its impossible, but I would be absolutely shocked if Canelo won by knockout.

Did you watch the 1st fight? GGG walked right through Canelo's best shots. Canelo did a good job of avoiding and countering GGG. I agree he needs to do that again, but better this time if he wants to win. I'm not saying its impossible, but I would be absolutely shocked if Canelo won by knockout.

I saw the first fight and disagree with you. I thought Canelo won and was not impressed with GGG’s punching power. GGG looked slow and mechanical. Canelo fought smart and landed his punches and did not allow GGG to connect his power punches. Nothing wrong with fighting smart. As an athlete, Canelo is responsible for everything he consumes and has the money to hire a personal chef to prepare his meals. No excuse there. The suspension was deserved and he should be tested before and after every fight.

Epic fight. Thought Canelo was the stronger fighter. GGG looked slower and not as sharp as usual. GGG was robbed the first time but Canelo earned this one.

Great fight! Now that was a battle. Props to Canelo for coming forward like he has done his whole career. Despite GGG looking older, I thought the fight was an even draw (unlike the 1st fight).

Well, as most knew, GGG could only win this fight with a finish. Canelo is the cash cow, and cash cows don't lose decisions in boxing. The sport is such a joke it's almost comical
Yes, true. There are mexican-americans who work for minimum wage who would buy this fight which is a form of economic social injustice, but boxing is getting its butt kicked pound for pound by MMA (which is too a form of societal violent injustice) and last nights fight was a good fight.

I thought GGG won the fight. But I can see how Canelo won the fight. It wasn’t a robbery a la Whittaker/Chavez, or Williams/Lara, Brandon Ríos/Richar Abril more recently. Canelo has/always will get the benefit of the doubt in close fights. Some people had Lara winning the fight with Canelo. Trout lost, but the scores were criminally wide. Mayweather beat Canelo’s ass for 12 rounds and someone gave him a draw.

Yes, true. There are mexican-americans who work for minimum wage who would buy this fight which is a form of economic social injustice, but boxing is getting its butt kicked pound for pound by MMA (which is too a form of societal violent injustice) and last nights fight was a good fight.

Uh... huh?

Buying a fight isn't social economic injustice, it's pride. Mexicans and Irish are notorious for supporting their fighters more than anyone, but a Mexican star will especially bring in money due to the populations both in Mexico and the US.

MMA is kicking butt because it's more entertaining, you get much more bang for your buck on fight cards, and it isn't littered with corruption. Nobody looks at an mma main event knowing which fighter will win a decision, regardless of how the fight went...

Uh... huh?

Buying a fight isn't social economic injustice, it's pride. Mexicans and Irish are notorious for supporting their fighters more than anyone, but a Mexican star will especially bring in money due to the populations both in Mexico and the US.

MMA is kicking butt because it's more entertaining, you get much more bang for your buck on fight cards, and it isn't littered with corruption. Nobody looks at an mma main event knowing which fighter will win a decision, regardless of how the fight went...
Yes, I totally agree.

Now, how about Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao? Just asking?

Mayweather and Pac Man #2 I would never buy.

I can see Canelo and Mayweather #2 breaking the bank though. Mayweather is making moves at the right time and Canelo will somehow find a way to avoid GGG for a 3rd fight.

The fight I really want to see is Joshua vs Wilder (If Wilder can get past Fury).

Mayweather and Pac Man #2 I would never buy.

I can see Canelo and Mayweather #2 breaking the bank though. Mayweather is making moves at the right time and Canelo will somehow find a way to avoid GGG for a 3rd fight.

The fight I really want to see is Joshua vs Wilder (If Wilder can get past Fury).

Canelo is a full blown Middleweight. If I remember correctly Mayweather fought Canelo at 152, or some catch weight under the Super Welterweight limit. And that’s the biggest he’s ever fought. He’s a natural Welterweight. If he were to come back I can’t imagine he would come back a full 8 pounds above his max weight. Canelo would be way too big for him.

I agree Wilder-Joshua is an intriguing fight. That really is a 50/50 fight in my eyes. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Mikey García fight either Loma or Errol Spence Jr. Don’t forget about the World Boxing Super Series, they’re going to have Bantamweights, and it could be Naoya Inoue and Zolani Tete in the final.

Reactions: axingfools1
Canelo is a full blown Middleweight. If I remember correctly Mayweather fought Canelo at 152, or some catch weight under the Super Welterweight limit. And that’s the biggest he’s ever fought. He’s a natural Welterweight. If he were to come back I can’t imagine he would come back a full 8 pounds above his max weight. Canelo would be way too big for him.

I agree Wilder-Joshua is an intriguing fight. That really is a 50/50 fight in my eyes. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Mikey García fight either Loma or Errol Spence Jr. Don’t forget about the World Boxing Super Series, they’re going to have Bantamweights, and it could be Naoya Inoue and Zolani Tete in the final.
Yes you are correct (and a number of my friends have told me the same), but hear me out. There are a number of factors here.

First, we know that Floyd is willing to fight and risk it all again (record and legacy) for money. Why else would he come back to fight Pac Man? Mayweather is the biggest fighting cash cow that Vegas/boxing have ever known, and he knows it.

Second, who best to fight Mayweather once he gets past Pacquiao but Canelo? Canelo is the 2nd biggest cash cow right now and with Mayweather's help they can both probably make triple digits millions.

Third, people either love or hate both of these boxers. People would pay a lot a money to watch them either win or lose.

Fourth, Mayweather has beat both Canelo (50-1-1) and the Golden boy promotor himself. These guys have nothing to lose in fighting Mayweather, but everything to gain. Mayweather incurs ALL the risk. Money talks.

Fifth. Canelo is a much more mature fighter now. He is in his prime and Mayweather is old in boxing years. When will there be a better time for him to go for it? Canelo can lose weight for $100 million. He doesn't need power to beat Mayweather anyway, he needs boxing skills. This all that he and his corner talked about after the 1st GGG fight....how he is the more skilled fighter right? He's got 8 months to prepare for the fight of his lifetime.

If he wins he will go down as one of the greatest Mexican fighters/fighters ever. If he loses then everybody will just chalk it up to Mayweather being the greatest, but he will still be richer than he ever imagined growing up in Mexico.

Last edited:
Yes you are correct (and a number of my friends have told me the same), but hear me out. There are a number of factors here.

First, we know that Floyd is willing to fight and risk it all again (record and legacy) for money. Why else would he come back to fight Pac Man? Mayweather is the biggest fighting cash cow that Vegas/boxing have ever known, and he knows it.

Second, who best to fight Mayweather once he gets past Pacquiao but Canelo? Canelo is the 2nd biggest cash cow right now and with Mayweather's help they can both probably make triple digits millions.

Third, people either love or hate both of these boxers. People would pay a lot a money to watch them either win or lose.

Fourth, Mayweather has beat both Canelo (50-1-1) and the Golden boy promotor himself. These guys have nothing to lose in fighting Mayweather, but everything to gain. Mayweather incurs ALL the risk. Money talks.

Fifth. Canelo is a much more mature fighter now. He is in his prime and Mayweather is old in boxing years. When will there be a better time for him to go for it? Canelo can lose weight for $100 million. He doesn't need power to beat Mayweather anyway, he needs boxing skills. This all that he and his corner talked about after the 1st GGG fight....how he is the more skilled fighter right? He's got 8 months to prepare for the fight of his lifetime.

If he wins he will go down as one of the greatest Mexican fighters/fighters ever. If he loses then everybody will just chalk it up to Mayweather being the greatest, but he will still be richer than he ever imagined growing up in Mexico.

Fair enough. In terms of name and draw that would be massive. But, would Mayweather be willing to go up to 160? I don’t think Canelo would make concessions to come down in weight now. Especially if it’s to his disadvantage. Both guys have to see themselves as A-side guys. Who would be willing to make concessions to make a fight of that magnitude work? Canelo screwed himself taking the Mayweather fight at a catchweight. He was too young and eager for that fight when it happened.

Mayweather made dumb money fighting scrubs like Andre Berto and McGregor. He may just take someone who is an ok name but poses no real threat. Maybe a Danny Garcia, Sean Porter, or even Keith Thurman since he is coming off of an injury. Or what if Amir Khan wins again? That was someone who was talked about as an opponent for Mayweather years ago.

Fair enough. In terms of name and draw that would be massive. But, would Mayweather be willing to go up to 160? I don’t think Canelo would make concessions to come down in weight now. Especially if it’s to his disadvantage. Both guys have to see themselves as A-side guys. Who would be willing to make concessions to make a fight of that magnitude work? Canelo screwed himself taking the Mayweather fight at a catchweight. He was too young and eager for that fight when it happened.

Mayweather made dumb money fighting scrubs like Andre Berto and McGregor. He may just take someone who is an ok name but poses no real threat. Maybe a Danny Garcia, Sean Porter, or even Keith Thurman since he is coming off of an injury. Or what if Amir Khan wins again? That was someone who was talked about as an opponent for Mayweather years ago.
Mayweather will always be the A-side until proven otherwise. I guess the question would be to Canelo if he is willing to drop weight for another chance at Mayweather and a huge payday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT