ADVERTISEMENT

OT: College football is back

I don’t think Dimel realized how quickly the losses add up at UTEP. Had he won one or two more games last season the fan base might have been a bit more patient. Another season where he only beats one FBS team should get him canned.

Reactions: Lil_Train
That does apply to a school that is starting from the bottom. That staffer most likely was from a school in the Power 5.
For Dimel, like him or not, he does have a good reputation as a "player's coach" and good Texas/JUCO connections. He stated that he is not a "RAH! RAH!" coach and I can live with that but efficiency and consistent execution during games remain elusive.

For Miner fans it's why is this not converting into more wins after 3 seasons?

That's the attitude of all d-1 coaches.

We have a coach who's on the hot seat. Hes going to take guys who can play immediately. He no longer has the luxury of taking time to develop players he's had for three years. He has to win now. I've probably been the Dimel's biggest critic on this board. However, in this instance I completely agree with his rationale he has to get guys who can contribute now.

Who said he's on the hot seat? Only people I've seen say that is fans.

The fact that he's entering his fourth year and hasn't received an extension says it all. It's a make or break year.

All it says to me, is that he's on the 4th year of a 5-year deal. It's very unlikely that he won't see a 5th year. Maybe if they lost every game, but barring that I don't see any way UTEP eats the money.

Reactions: kickballpro
UTEP has never shown a willingness to fire coaches and eat contracts. Throw in a pandemic and all the loss in revenue associated with it and the odds just went from “not happening” to “not a chance in hell it happens”. Given the trajectories of both programs, IF you could fire one this year, who would it be? Dimel or Terry? I’d like to hear your guys’ thoughts.

Reactions: Lil_Train
UTEP has never shown a willingness to fire coaches and eat contracts. Throw in a pandemic and all the loss in revenue associated with it and the odds just went from “not happening” to “not a chance in hell it happens”. Given the trajectories of both programs, IF you could fire one this year, who would it be? Dimel or Terry? I’d like to hear your guys’ thoughts.

Dimel, I would hire a cheap replacement for him and start moving all my money over to the basketball program. It's far easier to build a successful basketball program than it is to build a football program. Not to mention it's quite a bit cheaper.

All it says to me, is that he's on the 4th year of a 5-year deal. It's very unlikely that he won't see a 5th year. Maybe if they lost every game, but barring that I don't see any way UTEP eats the money.
If a coach enters the final contract year without an extension we might as well have Donald Duck coaching that fifth year. It’s a lame duck season.

Reactions: kickballpro

Terry. We've always sucked at football. At least in basketball there's a little something to build on. I've always been far more into UTEP basketball than football so, for me. fire Terry, get a real coach in there with a commitment to community relations who will build excitement, get butts in seats -- post-pandemic -- and build a winner.

UTEP must stop all their bullshit around shutting out the community. They have years of work to do to get back into the good graces of the average fan who no longer gives a shit because UTEP is so closed off to the community.

Terry. We've always sucked at football. At least in basketball there's a little something to build on. I've always been far more into UTEP basketball than football so, for me. fire Terry, get a real coach in there with a commitment to community relations who will build excitement, get butts in seats -- post-pandemic -- and build a winner.

UTEP must stop all their bullshit around shutting out the community. They have years of work to do to get back into the good graces of the average fan who no longer gives a shit because UTEP is so closed off to the community.

It has to Dimel. We play FBS football, which makes football far and away them most important sport. UTEP has never really made the commitment to the football program. It's time to make the commitment.

The man who hired them and gave them those ridiculous guranteed contracts.

Dismel needs to be fired first. A successful football program is our ticket to a better conference. Investing more money into the BB program is pointless in a shitty 1 bid conference. A winning football program brings in way more revenue than a winning basketball program.

Reactions: JCorona
If a coach enters the final contract year without an extension we might as well have Donald Duck coaching that fifth year. It’s a lame duck season.

Plenty of coaches get extensions in the last year of their contract. Hell there's at least one coach I can think of this past off season that got an extension just days before his contract expired. Dimel has two full seasons to show improvement. If he believes in himself, he better start recruiting like he's going to be here for the long haul. That's not constantly filling the roster up with juco players who for the most part have already reached their potential. Grab some of these high school kids that normal would've been on an FBS roster and build with them.

Dismel needs to be fired first. A successful football program is our ticket to a better conference. Investing more money into the BB program is pointless in a shitty 1 bid conference. A winning football program brings in way more revenue than a winning basketball program.

Define a "better conference." I mean, I know we're not BYU but even BYU moved their basketball program to the West Coast Conference. A good conference for sure but I suspect you might see them as inferior to where you'd like to see UTEP? I personally would LOVE to be in a conference like that for basketball.

C-USA is wrong for UTEP. Which conference would be "right" for us?

Terry. No question. The basketball team has far underperformed the expectations given the supposed talent level on their roster.

Football is close to on par with where they’ve been traditionally. I think we see far more improvement out of them next year than we will with basketball.

#fireterry
Three years is plenty of time in basketball to turn a program around. In Terry's case, not only has he not turned program around, it has actually regressed in the past two years. Plus, barring some miracle recruiting additions, next year projects to be even worse. I can kind of see the logic on the Dimel commitment by Senter, but a guaranteed 5 year deal in basketball is a fireable offense for Senter in my opinion.

Define a "better conference." I mean, I know we're not BYU but even BYU moved their basketball program to the West Coast Conference. A good conference for sure but I suspect you might see them as inferior to where you'd like to see UTEP? I personally would LOVE to be in a conference like that for basketball.

Mountain West

Plenty of coaches get extensions in the last year of their contract. Hell there's at least one coach I can think of this past off season that got an extension just days before his contract expired. Dimel has two full seasons to show improvement. If he believes in himself, he better start recruiting like he's going to be here for the long haul. That's not constantly filling the roster up with juco players who for the most part have already reached their potential. Grab some of these high school kids that normal would've been on an FBS roster and build with them.
It could happen. He could win 4-6 games this year and 8-10 in year five.

I’ve seen enough of his football to know how this story will end. Once the talent catches up to the west division we are still left with Dimel as head coach. He’s left a few wins on the table due to bad in game decisions, play calling and substitutions. I don’t see those self inflecting wounds healing at this stage in his life/career.

I hope he proves me and all the naysayers wrong but I don’t see it happening.

BYU is in the WCC because they couldn't remain in the MWC without football. BYU has some very recent success which makes their hoops program attractive. UTEP basketball doesn't have recent success and isn't attractive to conferences. UTEP basketball is in as bad a state as UTEP football. UTEP has never proven we can win consistently in the modern era. That task will be made harder being in a one bid league where the regular season is irrelevant. This is more staggering when you realize UTEP has tried to win in basketball. We've dumped resources in to hoops which has hurt the rest of the athletic department. The over inflation of our basketball tradition has certainly hurt us.

We're the only the g5 school who hasn't made funding football a priority. I always hear people complain " we've never won in football" my answer has always been we've never tried. It's is imperative for the future of UTEP athletics that football becomes the priority.

UTEP should drop to FCS or football completely. They have been an awful program for the last 55 years, outside of a handful of years. UTEP has pretended to be a D1, 1A, FBS team for too long. No sense in trying to compete when it’s obvious they never will. With their latest expansion, the WAC is quickly filling up.

UTEP should drop to FCS or football completely. They have been an awful program for the last 55 years, outside of a handful of years. UTEP has pretended to be a D1, 1A, FBS team for too long. No sense in trying to compete when it’s obvious they never will. With their latest expansion, the WAC is quickly filling up.
Perfect home for nmsu football. They should do that and if after a few years they're successful then it's something UTEP could consider.

Perfect home for nmsu football. They should do that and if after a few years they're successful then it's something UTEP could consider.

That should never be considered. If we ever dropped football or went down to FCS I would never give UTEP another dime. I know I'm far the only one of that mindset. I'm very confident we will never drop to FCS. The only place that's ever brought up is by people on this board trying to get a rise out of people.

I couldn't agree with you more. The school clearly doesn't want to spend the money that it would take to be a annual contender at the FBS level. They should really consider dropping to D2 level. Not only would they save money with less football scholarships, but they would also save money by having to offer less female scholarships. They could then take the savings and put it into the basketball program. Just makes no sense to have two revenue sports that don't get the required monetary commitment.

I couldn't agree with you more. The school clearly doesn't want to spend the money that it would take to be a annual contender at the FBS level. They should really consider dropping to D2 level. Not only would they save money with less football scholarships, but they would also save money by having to offer less female scholarships. They could then take the savings and put it into the basketball program. Just makes no sense to have two revenue sports that don't get the required monetary commitment.

Nor could I. +1

That should never be considered. If we ever dropped football or went down to FCS I would never give UTEP another dime. I know I'm far the only one of that mindset. I'm very confident we will never drop to FCS. The only place that's ever brought up is by people on this board trying to get a rise out of people.

Says the guy who thinks UTSA is a bigger rival than NMSU. It’s not to get a rise, it should be looked at hard by UTEP’s administration. These people took a guy who hadn’t been a head coach in forever and gave him a lucrative (UTEP fb standards) 5 year deal. They obviously do not know what they’re doing or they don’t care. If that’s the case, lose less money in FCS.

UTEP used to be in a conference with Texas Tech. Then Arizona and Arizona St. Then BYU and Utah. Then Fresno, Boise, TCU, and Nevada. Then SMU, Houston, and Memphis. Now we’re with UNT, UTSA, and Florida International. Fans still go. You’re a fool if you think people are going to stop going because we’re playing Lamar and Southern Utah instead of UNT and UAB.

They were kicked out of the MWC when they went indy in football.

MWC membership was obviously not important to them then. Same result. They are in a good conference where they are doing well in basketball.

For a long time I have felt that the MWC would be a good fit -- and it would. But it's not about the conference. It's about the natural, geographically aligned schools with which we have had and can build new rivalries. I'm no longer an advocate to join the MWC, a conference who's avoided us like the plague. We need affiliation with the right schools.

I see a school like Marshall and we spend the same amount of money on athletics. We actually spend more money on coaching salaries and facilities overhead.

I guess you guys are right. UTEP isn’t trying to compete financially with the top dogs in the conference. Let’s just give up and become irrelevant in d3.

I see a school like Marshall and we spend the same amount of money on athletics. We actually spend more money on coaching salaries and facilities overhead.

I guess you guys are right. UTEP isn’t trying to compete financially with the top dogs in the conference. Let’s just give up and become irrelevant in d3.

You clearly have never been to their campus before if you think we have the same quality facilities. We don't even have FCS quality facilities.

So we spend the same as Marshall, but with a tiny fraction of the results. Yeah, let’s spend more, the results will magically show up then!

You clearly have never been to their campus before if you think we have the same quality facilities. We don't even have FCS quality facilities.
I find that hard to believe. Our facilities were better than UH’s until 2017, when they had major renovations done and some big additions put in place. I’m sure there are other FBS programs who we’re on par with. Certainly FCS programs we’re on par with.

With that said, UTEP does need to upgrade their facilities.

So we spend the same as Marshall, but with a tiny fraction of the results. Yeah, let’s spend more, the results will magically show up then!
Our salaries are attractive enough that we should have the top coaches in the conference. When Dimel was first hired he was in the top five of highest paid cusa coaches. He’s been left behind cuz others won and received nice extensions with a raise.

Our bball coach remains the highest paid in the conference.

With the right hires we can have much better results and people won’t be throwing around stupid ideas to give up on the top division.

Our salaries are attractive enough that we should have the top coaches in the conference. When Dimel was first hired he was in the top five of highest paid cusa coaches. He’s been left behind cuz others won and received nice extensions with a raise.

With the right hires we can have much better results and people won’t be throwing around stupid ideas to give up on the top division.

We've had 2 winning coaches since I have been alive. It cant always be the coaches. I know for a fact that Price was a very good coach. He was a winner before he came here and all of a sudden he became a bad coach. Not likely!

You’re right it’s stupid to give up on the top division. Much better to keep throwing money at something that has 1 shared conference championship, no bowl, no P5 wins, and only 6 bowls in the last 54 years. Being “good” (UTEP fb standards only) once every 9 years is such a standard of excellence we need to keep!!!

Tell me how to post pictures on here from my phone? I'll show you just the FCS schools I visited in 2020. Most had better facilities than us.

you need to host them on a website that has a url you can post. Twitter, Instagram, and others. Look up free photo hosting, might find a free service.

Reactions: Taco1977
We've had 2 winning coaches since I have been alive. It cant always be the coaches. I know for a fact that Price was a very good coach. He was a winner before he came here and all of a sudden he became a bad coach. Not likely!

Price had more losing seasons at Wassu than winning seasons. His downfall at UTEP was a combination of three things: poor recruiting choices,, nepotism and lack of discipline.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT