ADVERTISEMENT

OT: El Paso Mass Shooting

I think we are a society that likes guns. We cant say we want gun control when we watch movies with so much voilence. Guns are in our music, movies , and video games. Gran theft Auto is one of the most popular games ever. I do believe that these do play a role. A lot of these killings are being done by young white kids. Only one that wasnt was the Las Vegas shooter i believe. These kids were raised by video games. There is a lot of violent games in the internet. Not so long ago i saw my nephew playing a game where they torture a person. I forgot the name of it. But these games do poison the mind. Deadpool and Gran theft Auto, John Wick do poison the mind.

This is the single dumbest thing I have ever heard. Super Mario Brothers was a big hit in the 80's, do you remember all those kids jumping on mushrooms and trying to break bricks with their heads? It's a gun problem, not a video game problem. Bring back the assault rifle ban and watch the numbers drop. Oh yeah, and I'm a gun owner.

jfhviyg2moe31.jpg

This is the single dumbest thing I have ever heard. Super Mario Brothers was a big hit in the 80's, do you remember all those kids jumping on mushrooms and trying to break bricks with their heads? It's a gun problem, not a video game problem. Bring back the assault rifle ban and watch the numbers drop. Oh yeah, and I'm a gun owner.

jfhviyg2moe31.jpg

You really going to compare super mario to gran theft auto? Kids from 90s and above were raised by video games. The columbine kids played the game doom. Shootings started in the 90s. Those first shooter games like Halo are very popular. Are video games the main reason. Its not but i would say its like 5%. Blame is i say

80% the person
5% video games
5% violent movies
10% guns

Reactions: MinerDave
Wow. There are still so many people suffering a lifetime of pain. People of different races and colors and religions were killed. Despite the killers proclaimed racism, he would have likely killed any one of us in that moment. He didn't discriminate when he started pulling the trigger. He made the decision to kill everybody he could reach on Saturday. Yes he came to kill Mexicans, but he didn't skip the 'white' people or the Republicans either. Who is to blame for that? No life is more important than the other. Some of you just want to keep pigeonholing certain races or political affiliations so you can lay blame and appease your own hate.

This is pretty damn simple, folks- we continue to be a very racist country. Trump was elected after the first black president was elected as retaliation by our racist dark side. Republicans are pussies and any of you on here that continue to vote Republican are pussies, too, because no Republican stands up to him and allows him to continue his racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. rhetoric. Country over party, humanity over policy - check yourselves. Think hard about what’s really important before you vote in 2020. We really can make a difference, takes some courage.

I remember Doom being blamed for Columbine 20 years ago.

I remember Dungeons & Dragons being blamed for murders and suicides.

I remember rock music being blamed for suicides and the Night Stalker

Reactions: minermx07
You really going to compare super mario to gran theft auto? Kids from 90s and above were raised by video games. The columbine kids played the game doom. Shootings started in the 90s. Those first shooter games like Halo are very popular. Are video games the main reason. Its not but i would say its like 5%. Blame is i say

80% the person
5% video games
5% violent movies
10% guns
Are the v violent games in other countries????? Ok just wondering

This is pretty damn simple, folks- we continue to be a very racist country. Trump was elected after the first black president was elected as retaliation by our racist dark side. Republicans are pussies and any of you on here that continue to vote Republican are pussies, too, because no Republican stands up to him and allows him to continue his racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. rhetoric. Country over party, humanity over policy - check yourselves. Think hard about what’s really important before you vote in 2020. We really can make a difference, takes some courage.
Trump was voted in because Democrats have gone to far to the left. The only reason Trump may win again, even though he is flawed, is the Democratic principles don't fly in middle America.

Oh yeah, and I'm a gun owner....

Thank you! I grew up with guns. My old man trained small arms in south america to fight the terrorists. I was taught how to clean casings, make bullets, bluing, and made the annual pilgrimage to the "Gun Show" at the El Maida Shine Temple every year, that was the Mecca to regional gun enthusiasts, with my old man.

No one needs to own any type of assault rifle, especially a Kalashinikov which was literally made to kill combatants on a battle field efficiently, easy to maintain, can take any weather and beating, manufacture and which is why it is the most common assault rifle for most military forces around the world. It does not belong in Mr. Wilson's private inventory at 12345 Wilshire Lane in Anytown, PA just because he wants to own one and has the money to do so, nor 22 year old Andy whose burger or warehouse job allowed him the purchase power to buy such a weapon or of similar design. Also, no one needs a one hundred round magazine.

Stereotyping

Zombie's were used by Hollywood as an allegorical creature because of similar distrust of people who came to California during the depression and of immigrants from Mexico who came to work during the early and mid twentieth century. "Daryl Dixon" (Netflx) and "John Marston" (Red Dead Redemption video game) are fictional anglo characters who take on Zombies and these white protagonists go back to early american movies. "Old Town Road" by Lil Nas is making fun of this type of specific casting on RDR II (which is lost on most people who are unfamiliar). WTF are you talking about 2step? Those from latin american countries are not zombies. Casting as other than human or drug dealers with cold dark hearts ("Nacho" and "Tuco" on "Better call Saul") does not further the conversation.

Sorry, my soap box fell apart and I'll shut up.

I remember Doom being blamed for Columbine 20 years ago.

I remember Dungeons & Dragons being blamed for murders and suicides.

I remember rock music being blamed for suicides and the Night Stalker

Marilyn Manson was also blamed. Kids these days are not being raised right. That is the real problem, our public schools are a mess . Nobody wants to dare blame the parents. Instead they want to blame the politicians. How does a kid own a AK and parents didnt say anything??

Regarding the online screed of the Hispanic invasion: the poorly educated Crusius missed the Texas History class where the Hispanic invasion began in the 15th century!! The Spanish *are* the original Hispanics!! The ignorance is strong in this one.

No one needs to own any type of assault rifle, especially a Kalashinikov which was literally made to kill combatants on a battle field efficiently,
The kid did not own an actual Kalashnikov, AK-47. Those are fully automatic weapons and, while it is legal to own a fully automatic weapon, there are only a limited number in circulation (no new ones are allowed) and they each require a hefty tax to obtain a permit; they're heavily regulated. And notably, none of these mass shootings have involved fully automatic weapons, especially the legally owned fully automatic weapons that do indeed exist in our country.

People keep throwing around the terms Kalashnikov and AK, but whatever this kid had was a semi-automatic knock-off that might superficially resemble an AK, but not at all in function.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
Marilyn Manson was also blamed. Kids these days are not being raised right. That is the real problem, our public schools are a mess . Nobody wants to dare blame the parents. Instead they want to blame the politicians. How does a kid own a AK and parents didnt say anything??

Public schools are a mess because of poor parenting and absolutely ZERO SUPPORT for teachers....

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I think it’s hilarious people mention video games as a reason... I have played them all.... I haven’t lost my mind outside of utep athletics! It’s called accountability— parents have stopped holding their kids accountable for anything.. so they don’t understand real consequences to their actions easy as that.... it’s not mental issues, it’s not video games, or violent movies...

Reactions: minermx07
Well, I'm pretty sure it is mental issues, at least for a substantial percentage of them. Jared Loughner, Adam Lanza...

Mental health, or lack thereof, certainly plays its part, but it is by no means the common denominator to these atrocities.

80% the person
5% video games
5% violent movies
10% guns

So.....are Americans the worst people in the world. How do you have 240 of these in the United States and like 5 in the next closest country.

Don't other countries watch the same movies, play the same games, hear the same music?

Maybe it's because here, people have such easy access to the tools they need (the high capacity guns) to.carry out any crazy thing they imagine.

It's depressing to see how easy a lot of people were thrown off the scent to the real problems by just saying "video games".

For laughs and giggles, if I was a Republican strategist, I would have blamed all the new potato chip flavors and used that as the scapegoat for the mass shootings. How long before the apologists repeat that line?

"Well you see, John, our nation has always had guns. So what has changed? That's the root causes of the problems John. Not our precious, holy guns, that won us our Independence."

"You see, most of us were raised with very few chip flavors, like God intended. You had regular, ruffles, Doritos, and Frito.

Now kids walk into stores and there's a thousand chips. It's not the world we grew up in. Some of these chips are even labeled extreme. Is it at all surprising, we're seeing an extreme amount of violence as well?"

I'd like to see a Republican leader say it because half the posters here would be "yup".

Reactions: develman
I'm not a "gun guy" but many of my friends are. I will never own an assault weapon and I am luke warm on banning assault weapons. Why am I not fully on board. For the following reasons:

1. I don't think banning assault weapons will make a difference. It will make people feel like they did something however tough gun laws have not worked in many places. ie. Chicago
2. If you ban assault weapons is the next step for the Government to confiscate the millions that are in the public now. It's impossible if not dangerous. If you don't confiscate them (which I don't believe you can do) does one think a dedicated serial killer can't find one on the black market?
3. Suppose you make it more difficult for a dedicated serial killer to get guns. Does one think the killer will throw up his hands and think, they've outsmarted me how will I kill people now. Heck bombs, trucks and other means can be just as effective.

The real issue is not there is too much racism or Trump's rhetoric. If you're going to make the rhetoric arguement you better include Obama's lashing out at cops and Sanders stating Republicans are going to kill millions of people for reasons the Dallas and Republican softball shooting happened. As for racism, this is the first one I can think of that race has been one of the reasons, and in this nut case's manifesto he also claimed that Environmental Catastrophy was one of the reasons he was thinning out the population. So is Beto, AOC and others to blame for their silly "the earth is going to end in 10 years rhetoric?"

The name calling and rhetoric on this board has been horrific and scary. We are better than this. The real reason we have seen an increase in mass shootings can not solely be blamed on Trump, racism, video games or Environmental Catastrophy but the fact that America has been losing it's soul and moral compass over the last 25 years. Some would say longer. And until we as nation change our culture, gun laws, name calling or doxing people on social media will not make a difference. Be gentle and courteous on your responses

I'm not a "gun guy" but many of my friends are. I will never own an assault weapon and I am luke warm on banning assault weapons. Why am I not fully on board. For the following reasons:

1. I don't think banning assault weapons will make a difference. It will make people feel like they did something however tough gun laws have not worked in many places. ie. Chicago
2. If you ban assault weapons is the next step for the Government to confiscate the millions that are in the public now. It's impossible if not dangerous. If you don't confiscate them (which I don't believe you can do) does one think a dedicated serial killer can't find one on the black market?
3. Suppose you make it more difficult for a dedicated serial killer to get guns. Does one think the killer will throw up his hands and think, they've outsmarted me how will I kill people now. Heck bombs, trucks and other means can be just as effective.

The real issue is not there is too much racism or Trump's rhetoric. If you're going to make the rhetoric arguement you better include Obama's lashing out at cops and Sanders stating Republicans are going to kill millions of people for reasons the Dallas and Republican softball shooting happened. As for racism, this is the first one I can think of that race has been one of the reasons, and in this nut case's manifesto he also claimed that Environmental Catastrophy was one of the reasons he was thinning out the population. So is Beto, AOC and others to blame for their silly "the earth is going to end in 10 years rhetoric?"

The name calling and rhetoric on this board has been horrific and scary. We are better than this. The real reason we have seen an increase in mass shootings can not solely be blamed on Trump, racism, video games or Environmental Catastrophy but the fact that America has been losing it's soul and moral compass over the last 25 years. Some would say longer. And until we as nation change our culture, gun laws, name calling or doxing people on social media will not make a difference. Be gentle and courteous on your responses
Agree, but what can be changed are laws regarding background checks, licensing to dealers and carriers, cartridge capacity, red flag policy, domestic terrorism and race/hate websites moving forward.

Reactions: MinerDave

The moral compass arguement is often repeated but doesn't hold up to scrutiny at all. How is the United States any less moral than other countries? If anything in ways you can measure, Americans are more moral. They attend more church, volunteer more, donate more to charity. The tv, movies, and video games are the same.

It's just guns. Can you change what's in the heart? Maybe not. But it's a better world had it been some kind of stabbing or whatever attack and the victims would have been a lot less.

https://images.app.goo.gl/vEeziokx32mxAH7N7
V5nKo66n6Z9Kr7g5A

I think it’s hilarious people mention video games as a reason... I have played them all.... I haven’t lost my mind outside of utep athletics! It’s called accountability— parents have stopped holding their kids accountable for anything.. so they don’t understand real consequences to their actions easy as that.... it’s not mental issues, it’s not video games, or violent movies...

I blamed them at 5%. I played videos games also. I was more of a madden and sports fan.

They attend more church, volunteer more, donate more to charity.
But can this be said for most of these mass shooters? The Dayton shooter was a "Satanist" (which is a code for atheist, as most Satanists don't actually believe in Satan). In a nation of over 300 million people, you'll find tens of millions who don't go to church or volunteer or donate to charity.

Switzerland, meanwhile, has high rates of gun ownership since their national defense is heavily reliant on their militia. They are typically issued a Sturmgewehr 90 fully automatic service rifle that they keep in their homes. Upon completion of their militia service, people are allowed to keep this fully automatic rifle in their homes (alternatively, they are allowed to deposit the weapon in an armory, to which they have access, if they no longer want to keep the weapon in their home).

So there are a whole lot of Swiss people with access to fully automatic military-grade rifles, and they haven't had a mass shooting in years. Perhaps, though, they have some more safeguards in place to keep guns out of the hands of people who ought not have them.

The Dayton shooter was a "Satanist" (which is a code for atheist, as most Satanists don't actually believe in Satan).

Hold on there, Mr. Wildcat.

I am an atheist.

I am NOT a satanist.

I do NOT sacrifice virgins or drink goats blood or burn effigys to some god. Nor do I commit mass murders or any murders at all.

I simply do not believe in the existence of a god.

Yet, I am still a good, honest, hard working, really decent person who loves his children and larger family to no end.

Don't confuse an atheist for a satanist or anything else.

I am an atheist.

I am NOT a satanist.

I do NOT sacrifice virgins or drink goats blood or burn effigys to some god. Nor do I commit mass murders or any murders at all.

Yet, I am still a good, honest, hard working, really decent person who loves his children and larger family to no end.

I didn't say, or at least I didn't mean, that all atheists are Satanists. I meant that most Satanists are atheists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Satan

"The church does not believe in the Devil, neither a Christian nor Islamic notion of Satan. Peter H. Gilmore describes its members as 'skeptical atheists', embracing the Hebrew root of the word 'Satan' as 'adversary'."

I am an atheist.

I am NOT a satanist.

Whoa all!

The sick dude was in to porn metal and liked the dark metal stuff. This has nothing to do with atheist. Young white males have long been attracted to the heavy metal genre for decades and the genre was literally under attack by the feds. Judas Priest was taken to court and Dee Snyder of Twisted Sister, a proud Roman Catholic, had to testify in the 80's and "backmasking" hit a stupid, stupid crescendo because mom, dad and the Reagan Administration thought communism and hard rock were leading to an American decline, all the while Pablo Escobar had our country high on cocaine.

Now, we're in the day of "Incels" (involuntary celibates) and they are displaying their feeling in private forums and some are literally lashing out in various violent ways. Some are so full of anger and many follow "Satanic" based heavy metal that has become extremely popular and is quickly splintering into explicit genres (like porn metal). They've taken the imagery and words from AC/DC, Dio, Iron Maiden, Saxon , add in the vivid imagery of Molly Hatchet and punks like the Dayton shooter are literally hypnotized by it. I'm not blaming the metal music industry, I'm blaming a break down in parenting....period.

The kid was a self proclaimed "Incel". They're angry, do not know how to constructively deal with american society, their emotions and what they see on social media and TV and some lash out violently and now junior can go to Wal Mart and buy a handgun legally, not good. This has nothing to do with religion.....nothing. I am very involved in Roman Catholic ministry and yes, there are many who have to see the devil in the closet and Mary in the toast and many "Christian" groups literally brain wash kids and adults into that type of reasoning. I personally think its disturbing because empirical reasoning and science get thrown out and lead to demonizing and no honest debate. The atheist community want left alone, are good hard working folks and like others, do not want discriminated against. Teach your son to respect the opposite sex, monitor his behavior, we teach "NO" to drugs but "NO" you do not need to own an assault rifle even if you savings account has enough to cover the costs, and most of the crap you read in online forums is that....crap.

Whoa all!

The sick dude was in to porn metal and liked the dark metal stuff. This has nothing to do with atheist. Young white males have long been attracted to the heavy metal genre for decades and the genre was literally under attack by the feds. Judas Priest was taken to court and Dee Snyder of Twisted Sister, a proud Roman Catholic, had to testify in the 80's and "backmasking" hit a stupid, stupid crescendo because mom, dad and the Reagan Administration thought communism and hard rock were leading to an American decline, all the while Pablo Escobar had our country high on cocaine.

Now, we're in the day of "Incels" (involuntary celibates) and they are displaying their feeling in private forums and some are literally lashing out in various violent ways. Some are so full of anger and many follow "Satanic" based heavy metal that has become extremely popular and is quickly splintering into explicit genres (like porn metal). They've taken the imagery and words from AC/DC, Dio, Iron Maiden, Saxon , add in the vivid imagery of Molly Hatchet and punks like the Dayton shooter are literally hypnotized by it. I'm not blaming the metal music industry, I'm blaming a break down in parenting....period.

The kid was a self proclaimed "Incel". They're angry, do not know how to constructively deal with american society, their emotions and what they see on social media and TV and some lash out violently and now junior can go to Wal Mart and buy a handgun legally, not good. This has nothing to do with religion.....nothing. I am very involved in Roman Catholic ministry and yes, there are many who have to see the devil in the closet and Mary in the toast and many "Christian" groups literally brain wash kids and adults into that type of reasoning. I personally think its disturbing because empirical reasoning and science get thrown out and lead to demonizing and no honest debate. The atheist community want left alone, are good hard working folks and like others, do not want discriminated against. Teach your son to respect the opposite sex, monitor his behavior, we teach "NO" to drugs but "NO" you do not need to own an assault rifle even if you savings account has enough to cover the costs, and most of the crap you read in online forums is that....crap.

Good post. Let me clarify that none of my posts were intended as an attack on atheists.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
It's depressing to see how easy a lot of people were thrown off the scent to the real problems by just saying "video games".

For laughs and giggles, if I was a Republican strategist, I would have blamed all the new potato chip flavors and used that as the scapegoat for the mass shootings. How long before the apologists repeat that line?

"Well you see, John, our nation has always had guns. So what has changed? That's the root causes of the problems John. Not our precious, holy guns, that won us our Independence."

"You see, most of us were raised with very few chip flavors, like God intended. You had regular, ruffles, Doritos, and Frito.

Now kids walk into stores and there's a thousand chips. It's not the world we grew up in. Some of these chips are even labeled extreme. Is it at all surprising, we're seeing an extreme amount of violence as well?"

I'd like to see a Republican leader say it because half the posters here would be "yup".
Stop trying to stereotype and vilify all Republicans. This is bigotry by definition and is NOT a solution to the problem.

I am an atheist.

I am NOT a satanist.

You are exactly right! Dont confuse a republican with a racist either. Neither comparison if fair. Thanks for proving that point.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Stop trying to stereotype and vilify all Republicans. This is bigotry by definition and is NOT a solution to the problem.

You are exactly right! Dont confuse a republican with a racist either. Neither comparison if fair. Thanks for proving that point.

Well, Mr. Fool, you're missing a very key component. I do not support satanism. If I did, it would be fair to call me a satanist. As such, it is more than fair to call republicans racists when they are supporting racism.

Well, Mr. Fool, you're missing a very key component. I do not support satanism. If I did, it would be fair to call me a satanist. As such, it is more than fair to call republicans racists when they are supporting racism.
I am in Nebraska for a dear relative's funeral. Been unaware of recent events and am very curious about El Paso's greetings to Trump. What can you tell me?
I did hear that he expressed wonder at how El Paso had shown so much respect for the presidency.

I am in Nebraska for a dear relative's funeral. Been unaware of recent events and am very curious about El Paso's greetings to Trump. What can you tell me?
I did hear that he expressed wonder at how El Paso had shown so much respect for the presidency.
Non of the families that had loved ones still hospitalized would meet with him. Local politicians were against his being there and as a general feeling, most people didn't want him to be here. Not to mention the fact that it took me 2 hours to get home last night.

Also, an aetheist can't be a Satanist by definition and vise versa, right? Am I missing something?

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I am a Replublican in most of my ideals and I do not condone or support racism. I really don't understand how your comments make sense. Sorry you feel that way towards me, but it's just not true. I don't believe that you are a satanist either.

Also I have a question. Would you be ok with a Republican president that is NOT Trump, or would you only be satisfied if our next president were a Democrat?

Reactions: Dmanminer
Also, an aetheist can't be a Satanist by definition and vise versa, right? Am I missing something?
Try reading the link I posted. Most Satanists are anti-religion, and they don't believe in a literal Satan, but they embrace Satan or Lucifer as a symbol who rebelled against God and religion in general. They embrace hedonism because, after all, this is our only life because there is no afterlife, so therefore we should derive as much pleasure as we can in this one.

This is where it's important to reiterate that not all atheists are Satanists, even though the converse is true. I've known atheists who live a comparatively ascetic lifestyle, some who care deeply about protecting the environment, for example. Some take inspiration from Buddhism for their discipline. This isn't compatible with the hedonism of the Satanists.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT