ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Duranguito battle just took a somewhat interesting turn

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
"“There’s too many people who say, ‘I want us to move away from that. I want us to be like Gringolandia, like all the other homogenized American cities.’ El Paso is unique. You can’t find a place like this anywhere.” - District 29 Texas State Senator Jose Rodriguez

This battle pretty much did not go near racially charged rhetoric. Senator Rodriguez just changed the paradigm. I'm a little surprised and taken aback because I am a supporter of his and believe he has his heart on the west Texas community. There are good arguments on both sides. I personally am for the arena. This is has been over a thirty year battle to increase revenue for the city and it's now or never. Since the 1950's El Paso has been passed by as the next southwest city of growth but instead went to Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Antonio, Tuscon, or Albuquerque.

The mid to late 19th century, yes; it was "gringos" as well as part of the early 20th century. "Gringo's" helped build historic downtown buildings in El Paso, some very famous (damn that irony).

American urban growth, sprawl, gentrification, whatever you want to call it is not specifically a "gringo" phenomena within the last few decades. It is brought on by developers, entrepreneurs and politicians of every race, color, creed and religion.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/battle-el-pasos-south-side/

A lot of hidden racism out there and some see this as a good time to come out of the closet (both from whites and minorities) because of how they feel about Trump. Whatever we each feel about it, it's there and life goes on. Each individual adult controls only themself. That's it.

Just a thought though. Mexico is a beautiful and rich country. The people, the food, the culture are all very nice. There is a lot of history. The problem with Mexico is the politics and the economics. They only benefit a few while the rest suffer. There is the reason why a lot of Mexicans want to come to the U.S. Its for opportunity. With opportunity comes progressive ideals. If that means being a little like a 'gringo' then so be it. There will be a lot of people that share Mr. Rodriguez's ideals, but there are plenty of opportunistric and progressive Mexicans that will disagree with him too.

A lot of hidden racism out there and some see this as a good time to come out of the closet (both from whites and minorities) because of how they feel about Trump.

AZfeKb-GxqH4i5FLfSKXdSQoWB_rTtxalSoutJckuDg.jpg

Gringoland? Hmmm...Anyone else thinking theme park? Might be a hell of a tourist attraction, once they tear that old neighborhood down.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Senator Rodriguez is not looking good again, but now for a different reason. He ranks 4th on this statewide list of waste and he spends significantly more than all of his other El Paso peers with similar requirements. Apparently he needs to lease a $22,000/year Lexus in order to visit his districts amongst other expenses:

http://kisselpaso.com/el-paso-senator-jose-rodriguez-high-on-living-large-list/

Then you have the people claiming that they want to fix up Durango and turn it into this and that, well good news for them, there is now property available to buy! One of the loudest voices against the arena has listed his property for sale at 4 times the value, because apparently according to him, El Paso doesn't have a VA Hospital? I would expect that every person stating that we should preserve and invest in that area, should immediately begin opening their wallets and purchasing this property. Time to put your money where your mouth is:

I keep hearing Grossman say that they did place efforts into the Durango neighborhood since 2006. Yet, the only thing that he ever accomplished in 11 years was a survey. That's it, that's all that they could accomplish in 11 years of trying. So what would happen in another 11 years if he did save it? If they would have taken just half of the money that they have now spent on legal fee's and invested that into the neighborhood over the past decades, then they could have easily purchased and renovated a few properties. But they never did that and what they are doing now is just wrong and costing all of us money.

My final comment is that Max Grossman through his Facebook page, posted that the Durango neighborhood could be turned into an old style tourist area with Mexican shops. Here is the link with his vision:

1.). First they claimed they were defending the rights of the low income renters living there. Now they want to turn the neighborhood into Mexican Tourist Shops? How does that help the low income people they claim they were fighting for?
2.). How would they modify these low income apartments, turning them into tourist shops, without significantly changing the buildings that they are trying to save? They would certainly have to knock down plenty of the run down buildings to create the type of shops that they are envisioning.
3). Don't we already have plenty of stores downtown selling Mexican type souvenirs?
4). Max(The person filing all of the law suits, yet doesn't own a single property in the area) literally had decades to do something like this, but he never did. He had decades to purchase a property, but never did. It would benefit our city and everyone involved, if he would simply just go find another run down neighborhood in El Paso(there are plenty of options even in downtown) and stop wasting everyone's money in delays and legal fee's, and actually make his plans and ideas happen there. He could do it, he could even go to an actually historic area like say the Magoffin Home neighborhood and start buying property and get to work turning it into his vision for a tourist area. Nobody is stopping you.

Reactions: MinerJo
That was the saddest rendering video I've ever seen. That's it? By kicking out those remnants and turning the area into a tourist attraction aren't they contributing to the gentrification of Downtown? Hypocrites.

Reactions: Cube Jack
That was the saddest rendering video I've ever seen. That's it?

Yep, that's it. That is the type of people that we are dealing with. They have had nearly a full year to come up with an alternative plan to support their arguement for saving the neighborhood. And in one year, they literally came up with an 8 second video, with google search pictures from California, which probably took about 10 minutes to make.

They gave no effort to this neighborhood for decades and this 8 second proposal video for their future ideas, is further confirmation of the type of low and unorganized effort that would be given by them if they did save the neighborhood.

This low effort video with no actual plans, is literally coming from the same people costing us tax payers millions of dollars.

Reactions: MinerJo
My uncle had owned property in that neighborhood with the intent of opening a bar. He moved his vision elsewhere. Really wasn't that big a deal. My great grandfather owned a large plot of land on 13th Street in Segundo Barrio. My grandparents, great grandparents, mother, uncle and their uncles/aunts and their families all lived there and owned a store there called El Iman. When the land was given to Mexico they lost it all. They moved on and started lives elsewhere. My grandma still lives in the house they bought. My great aunt also still lives in the house she and her husband bought. There were no protests or petitions.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
What’s ridiculous about this situation is that the Owners actually WANT TO SELL their properties. The Buyers and Sellers are both happy with this transaction, yet it’s outside people trying to keep it from happening.

Per EP Times, Judge confirms no sports allowed in the new arena.

Can the city put it back to a vote (with proper wording) and get it passed as a multipurpose arena?

Max just wants to get paid. That's it.
The owners of the properties should just tear all the building down. Leave vacant lots there. The city should fund them.

Gross man never cared before just a a-- hole. The judge has no common sense. What does multi purpose mean. Just another stupid person, thinking they know the public needs and desires.

Reactions: develman
Does anyone find it ironic that most of downtown was built and created by gringos? Those buildings are not of Spanish/Moorish design that dots many western countries. They remained to provided low income housing due to the growth/immigration in El Paso. It's your basic push/pull effect in real estate. That's what is at the heart of the matter. It's lived way, way passed it's "economic life". If you want to preserve El Paso culture, get off your ass and promote from every corner of the world. Tell people what makes El Paso beautiful. Sliding up to some old Texas tycoon Boon Pickens wannabe to promote your agenda doesn't help El Paso. You all saw this coming the last twenty plus years and now their bitching?! El Paso has been setting out "Smart Zoning" plans for a few years now. Hello! That screams "We're changing things up here in the foreseeable future". And to say "that wasn't put into the quality of life vote"? El Pasoans have been airing this out publicly since H.W. Bush was running this country.

And more ironic, go to the newest subdivisions in El Paso county and they are of neo-eclectic or spanish colonial revival design and urban sprawl at it's finest.

Sorry, I'll get off the box now...

Today I took a wrong turn downtown and and to circle back through Chihuahua St (Ave? I don't know). I looked at the buildings and realized NONE of them are occupied. All are boarded up and many already have gaping holes with rubble around them.

I admit that I am for the arena (sports or not), but now I'm even more convinced that there is nothing there worth preserving

Today I took a wrong turn downtown and and to circle back through Chihuahua St (Ave? I don't know). I looked at the buildings and realized NONE of them are occupied. All are boarded up and many already have gaping holes with rubble around them.

I admit that I am for the arena (sports or not), but now I'm even more convinced that there is nothing there worth preserving
I think we tear Chicanoville down and put in a Panera Bread!!

"“There’s too many people who say, ‘I want us to move away from that. I want us to be like Gringolandia, like all the other homogenized American cities.’ El Paso is unique. You can’t find a place like this anywhere.” - District 29 Texas State Senator Jose Rodriguez

This battle pretty much did not go near racially charged rhetoric. Senator Rodriguez just changed the paradigm. I'm a little surprised and taken aback because I am a supporter of his and believe he has his heart on the west Texas community. There are good arguments on both sides. I personally am for the arena. This is has been over a thirty year battle to increase revenue for the city and it's now or never. Since the 1950's El Paso has been passed by as the next southwest city of growth but instead went to Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Antonio, Tuscon, or Albuquerque.

The mid to late 19th century, yes; it was "gringos" as well as part of the early 20th century. "Gringo's" helped build historic downtown buildings in El Paso, some very famous (damn that irony).

American urban growth, sprawl, gentrification, whatever you want to call it is not specifically a "gringo" phenomena within the last few decades. It is brought on by developers, entrepreneurs and politicians of every race, color, creed and religion.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/battle-el-pasos-south-side/
I agree with everything except Tucson lol

At this point, I'd say scrap the plans for an arena, and propose to build a soccer stadium for the Locomotive in the same area. You'll have to take it to the voters though.

At this point, I'd say scrap the plans for an arena, and propose to build a soccer stadium for the Locomotive in the same area. You'll have to take it to the voters though.
If it’s an indoor soccer stadium I would say yes. The city needs another independent arena to host events that usually skip El Paso.

so what happens to the money that was suppose to be used for arena???

what about just building the arena in the east side?

The arena needs to be built at the original location to take advantage of the convention center and two new 4-5 star hotels within walking distance.

This idiot Grossman and his backer need to pay attorney's fees on this one.

I had a chance to let him have it one night he walked into king’s x. Thought twice about it as it is never a good idea to “debate” under the influence.

I have some insider knowledge of the downtown arena and since it was mentioned above, the Locos stadium. I will not reveal my insider so believe me if you want.

-The new area of TIRZ 11 in the Northeast that now includes the School District land and the tennis center out there that Mimco bought will be the new site for the Locomotives stadium. This TIRZ used to only cover the Cohen Stadium area to help fund the new aquatics and athletics "park" they are about to break ground on. The City has now expanded that TIRZ to 11a to include the above-mentioned land.

-The downtown arena is very close to being resolved and will move forward. They are planning a 14,000 seat inverted bowl layout. The reason for 14k seats is to try to get some of the 1st round games in the NCAA tourney and other semi-large sporting events. (bigger boxing matches, etc.)

I hope this helps.

I have some insider knowledge of the downtown arena and since it was mentioned above, the Locos stadium. I will not reveal my insider so believe me if you want.

-The new area of TIRZ 11 in the Northeast that now includes the School District land and the tennis center out there that Mimco bought will be the new site for the Locomotives stadium. This TIRZ used to only cover the Cohen Stadium area to help fund the new aquatics and athletics "park" they are about to break ground on. The City has now expanded that TIRZ to 11a to include the above-mentioned land.

-The downtown arena is very close to being resolved and will move forward. They are planning a 14,000 seat inverted bowl layout. The reason for 14k seats is to try to get some of the 1st round games in the NCAA tourney and other semi-large sporting events. (bigger boxing matches, etc.)

I hope this helps.
Heck yea it helps WT12!! Thanks for the info!

I hope this helps.
Hope it happens, but El Paso always finds a way to f up a good thing.

I think if the locos stadium is in NE it will hurt attendance, just my opinion.

I say give the Locos a few years and then decide. If we build a soccer stadium it needs to be ready for a potential upgrade to the next level.

Reactions: nattybry
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT