ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Would El Paso have a chance at a new XFL team?

El Paso will not support that. They're only going to have 8 teams. EP will not be one of those teams. We should support UTEP football better and not some joke league.
El Paso could support them both; they're not in competition. UTEP will play during autumn, and the XFL will play during spring.

I think XFL would want ratings. The Nation not going to care about a team in El Paso.

El Paso could support them both; they're not in competition. UTEP will play during autumn, and the XFL will play during spring.

Sure they could, but, they won't. If McMahon is smart, he will play in the spring. I have not seen that is going to be the case yet. The only successful minor league teams here are the Chihuahuas and Rhinos.

The Coyotes are lucky to draw flies. Remember the Generals? It's a moot point anyway, because the XFL is not putting 1 of their 8 teams here. They will be in major media markets.

The XFL had a team in Birmingham, that was the smallest city. Other than that hey we’re in major markets. Vince may look at San Antonio or Austin before looking at El Paso. San Diego, Oakland and St. Louis have to be looked at as well since they lost NFL teams.

Pretty much any football league competing with the NFL has crashed and burned. This will be no different. I will support any El Paso team, but I see this league as the same failure it was 17 years ago. Much like the World Bodybuilding Federation and the original XFL, we've seen McMahon's wrestling success not equal success in other ventures.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
XFL won't work and yeah it'd be nice and o think itd be smart to put in Markets without NFL like
San Antonio, San Diego, St. Louis, Memphis, Columbus, Austin (Too close to San Antonio for a team in both cities though), Orlando, Sacramento, etc... El Paso is just too far behind cities like these unfortunately and I wish we weren't. Juarez is never considered in our metro, though they should and even with Southern NM we're barely over 1 million. Unfortunate fact is our proximity to MX is a blessing and a curse. We should be considered an area of 2.5 million, but investors many times don't see it that way. This town has proved it can and will support professional teams, I just have accepted we won't get that chance any time soon.

Last edited:
But can you honestly consider Juarez as part of the El Paso area 100%. They are two separate cities, in two seperate countries. And the money, people etc can’t travel freely between the two regions so there is a giant asterisk when saying that we are all one in the same.

Reactions: unihom
It could possibly work if Vince accepts the fact that the XFL will NEVER directly compete with the NFL.

Play in spring when Bball is done and months away from baseball. Take the USFL model and not let arrogant aholes like Trump, who probably was the biggest factor in the USFL failing, dictate the league.

Football has proven to be the overwhelming #1 sport in the US, people will watch. Land a couple big college stars and forget all the stupid gimmicks and put decent football on the field and the fans will come. Take with that the growing disillusionment of fans with the NoFunLeague and they can carve out a niche.

It could possibly work if Vince accepts the fact that the XFL will NEVER directly compete with the NFL.

Play in spring when Bball is done and months away from baseball. Take the USFL model and not let arrogant aholes like Trump, who probably was the biggest factor in the USFL failing, dictate the league.

Football has proven to be the overwhelming #1 sport in the US, people will watch. Land a couple big college stars and forget all the stupid gimmicks and put decent football on the field and the fans will come. Take with that the growing disillusionment of fans with the NoFunLeague and they can carve out a niche.

See, but to land big college stars WOULD put them in direct competition with the NFL. The XFL teams would be owned by the league itself, aka Vince McMahon, who is a HUGE egocentric businessman.

The USFL tried to force a merger. They failed badly. Even the WLAF was NFL supported and still failed.

This product failed once before. I don't see the second time being any different.

Last edited:
Locations being considered: Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Birmingham, Orlando, New Jersey, New York, Hartford, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Columbus, Tempe, Salt Lake City, Cleveland, Toronto, Manchester, Vancouver, Portland, San Diego, San Fransisco, Memphis, Kansas City, Seattle, St. Louis

If they're a college football star they will be playing in the NFL.
It depends really. I’m not a fan of either guy, but if you land a Tim Tebow or a Manziel or that type of player and you have a league that 1: Doesn’t obviously have talent/speed comprable to the NFL and 2: you tailor the game to suit their game you probably could draw a lot of fans.
Especially if you put a Tebow in a Florida team or a Manziel in a Texas team. This could be an oberglorified college league, and those fringe guys who were good in college but their game never translated to the NFL may have a shot.

Reactions: develman
It depends really. I’m not a fan of either guy, but if you land a Tim Tebow or a Manziel or that type of player and you have a league that 1: Doesn’t obviously have talent/speed comprable to the NFL and 2: you tailor the game to suit their game you probably could draw a lot of fans.
Especially if you put a Tebow in a Florida team or a Manziel in a Texas team. This could be an oberglorified college league, and those fringe guys who were good in college but their game never translated to the NFL may have a shot.
c'mon man - think BIG .. we can call the our new XFL team the "El Paso Bone Crushers" a great name for a great team ...

Manziel wouldn't be eligible since he has a criminal record.

Tebow is playing baseball so he wouldn't be playing either. Even if he wasn't I would be surprised if he joined the league.

But you get my point, if the league gets those star college players who never succeeded in The NFL I’m sure a lot of people in their college markets would love to see them take the field one more time. Especially against average competition which means they could succeed.

But you get my point, if the league gets those star college players who never succeeded in The NFL I’m sure a lot of people in their college markets would love to see them take the field one more time. Especially against average competition which means they could succeed.

It depends what the pay is. If these players already have millions I am not sure they would play if the pay is low.

But can you honestly consider Juarez as part of the El Paso area 100%. They are two separate cities, in two seperate countries. And the money, people etc can’t travel freely between the two regions so there is a giant asterisk when saying that we are all one in the same.
Juarez spends Millions upon Millions in El Paso

Yeah... St. Louis has 2.7 people in their Metro, same as El Paso/Juárez. Those “millions” people from Juarez spend don’t mean sh*t because we’re not on the level of any metro with a comprable population. Just stop. We can’t even get a punk ass Cheese Cake factory and you think that 2.7 million really stands for something?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_areas_by_per_capita_income

El Paso is ranked 273 in US Metropolitan areas by Per Capita income.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._metropolitan_areas_by_GDP

El Paso doesn’t even rank in the top 50 of US metropolitan areas in terms of GDP.

So, in a nutshell the “millions” you claim they bring to the economy means absolutely jack squat thus the El Paso/Jurarez metropolitan area is not a real 2.7 million metro area when we can’t hang with Birmingham Ala, Providence RI, Richmond, VA.

Last edited:
Yeah... St. Louis has 2.7 people in their Metro, same as El Paso/Juárez. Those “millions” people from Juarez spend don’t mean sh*t because we’re not on the level of any metro with a comprable population. Just stop. We can’t even get a punk ass Cheese Cake factory and you think that 2.7 million really stands for something?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_areas_by_per_capita_income

El Paso doesn’t even rank in the top 50 of US metropolitan areas in terms of GDP.

So, in a nutshell the “millions” you claim they bring to the economy means absolutely jack squat thus the El Paso/Jurarez metropolitan area is not a real 2.7 million metro area when we can’t hang with Birmingham Ala, Providence RI, Richmond, VA.

^^^^^This is how this Thread should die^^^^^^^

Are you Retarded or just can't read! I stated that El Paso won't get a Professional team and is behind other cities. However the fact that Juarez spends Millions is a Fact!!!! I didn't say it correlated to us getting a team Smart Ass. Learn to Read!

Hmmm.... please tell me in my response where I stated that you said we were getting a team? You’re sitting there just saying “Juarez spends Millions! Fact” and with nothing to back it up as if they just add soooo much to the El Paso economy and we’re some sort of powerhouse economy because of them. And what I am telling you is their “quote-unquote” millions people form Juarez spend in El Paso is equal to Jack-squat because our GDP and Per Capita income is not comparable to metroplexes of comparable size. So there’s your “FACT” right there. Yeah they spend money in El Paso....and?

Reactions: El Paso 777
You guys are both tards....Juarez DOES spend millions....but that means nothing in relation to bringing anything national here.

Stop the infighting like chihuahua causes...

The millions are spent at Cielo Vista and the Wal-Mart near by! Can't find a parking spot and boxes are left everywhere!

Hope to see one in Portland... They could play at Providence Park, which is getting some extra seats. I think San Antonio or Austin would be the spot for Texas. I would go check out a game, but I too don't see it surviving long term. Unless Vince does something extra ordinary...

It'll be a whopping first year loss just like last time. The teams will all be owned by the league so expenses will all go to one place. The CFL will probably have better talent. I would support any El Paso team, but I doubt we'd get one and even if we did the league itself probably won't last long.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT