ADVERTISEMENT

Pac12 not dead?

If you bought a ticket to see Mike Price coach after the 2008 season and didn’t tell anyone you were displeased with the product, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Same with all the other lame ass coaches we kept too long.
Any season of Mike Price football was more exciting and successful than anything else UTEP had ever seen. The Jrz Cartel War hurt recruiting and success dwindled. Patterson was the hire after Price, Stull blew it with Kugler. That's the point of no return. That's when shit really hit the fan, the hiring of Sean Kugler.

Any season of Mike Price football was more exciting and successful than anything else UTEP had ever seen.
You sure about that?
2006: 5-7 (3-5)
2007: 4-8 (2-6)
2008: 5-7 (4-4)
2009: 4-8 (3-5)
2010: 6-7 (3-5)
2011: 5-7 (2-6)
2012: 3-9 (2-6)

Why did some fans tolerate 7 straight losing seasons? 6 of the 7 seasons they were below .500 in CUSA, with 3 of those having 2-6 records.

Reactions: FedupMiner
You sure about that?

Why did some fans tolerate 7 straight losing seasons? 6 of the 7 seasons they were below .500 in CUSA, with 3 of those having 2-6 records.
4-8 is a winning season at UTEP….would die for a 4-8 season this year

Reactions: kickballpro
Old leadership, yes.

Heather Wilson has an expansive resume. She was Secretary of the Air Force. That budget alone is in the 100's of billions. UTEP's #'s are nothing relative to what she was managing prior. We are in good hands. She knows more than us keyboard warriors.
Gee! Thanks!

Why do schools hate Utep so much? It's not only the mountain West Schools but also the old CUSA members. I'm wondering if Utep did something?

Reactions: picks up
You sure about that?

You have 3 years in there (5-7), 1 win away from bowl eligibility. You have 2 (4-8) 2 wins away. Find me a better stretch in UTEP history? Add his first years, duplicate his tenure hypothetically, and you can call it the Golden Era.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
You sure about that?

7 straight losing seasons was too much. But the one thing Price gave us was hope. Even though UTEP had AWFUL defenses you knew those UTEP teams were going to throw the ball and try to score points. I don’t think I’m alone in saying that era was the most fun I’ve had at UTEP football games. There was a reason we were always near the top in attendance even though we were losing, and it was because we played a fan friendly brand of football.

A quarter of the old CUSA was the teams that ditched UTEP in the WAC. 🤣🤣🤣

Seems there might be a sliver of hope that NIU won't take a spot No formal offer for NIU
Again, NIU and/or Toledo are rumored to be football only invites. That does not affect what we're hoping/wishing/begging to do here. They could invite the entire MAC football only and the MWC would still need 2 full time members.

Reactions: KaneFan29
The fact that no news about the situation with the PAC 12 or MWC today and Iteps name is concerning. Hopefully some sort of news will come by Monday.

Does UTEP have to go to the UT regents to get approval to change conferences? Could this be a "hold up" or is there simply, nothing going on? I think the PAC is probably still trying to lure Memphis and UTEP is simply not an answer at this time... MWC? That's a head scratcher... Either they already have UTEP in the bag, or they simply are not wanting UTEP...

Does UTEP have to go to the UT regents to get approval to change conferences? Could this be a "hold up" or is there simply, nothing going on? I think the PAC is probably still trying to lure Memphis and UTEP is simply not an answer at this time... MWC? That's a head scratcher... Either they already have UTEP in the bag, or they simply are not wanting UTEP...

Maybe UT Austin doesn't want Utep to succeed. They see what UTSA is doing and don't want same thing with Utep.

You have 3 years in there (5-7), 1 win away from bowl eligibility. You have 2 (4-8) 2 wins away. Find me a better stretch in UTEP history? Add his first years, duplicate his tenure hypothetically, and you can call it the Golden Era.
I’m not going to go down this rabbit hole, but in 2006, he had the Miners at 4-2 and then lost 5 out of the last 6. Miners were 5-5, then he lost on the road to Marshall. Final game of the season, they were blown out at home against 1-10 Memphis, who was 0-7 in CUSA at the time. So spare me the 1 win away from bowl eligibility crap. 5-7 is a loser year, end up in the same place as 2-10.

Yes, the move has to be approved, but it’s a formality. There is no hold up as far as that’s concerned.

7 straight losing seasons was too much. But the one thing Price gave us was hope. Even though UTEP had AWFUL defenses you knew those UTEP teams were going to throw the ball and try to score points. I don’t think I’m alone in saying that era was the most fun I’ve had at UTEP football games. There was a reason we were always near the top in attendance even though we were losing, and it was because we played a fan friendly brand of football.
Yes, there was hope then, but look where it got us. He should have been fired after 2008.

Think of the candidates we may have had in 2008 when we weren't so far removed from much better seasons. It could have all been very different as opposed to landing on Kugler after 4 more years of Mike Price losing football.

Jury is out on Walden, but picture a guy like that taking over the roster we had at the time. Could have probably had a more experienced version of him. But we settled for Kugler 4 years later.

Reactions: KaneFan29
Problem is: when you look at who Stull succeeded him I would have gladly taken 4-5 win seasons instead of watching Kugler destroy an already awful football program.
Here’s the thing though, even Kugler went bowling and had a winning record in CUSA play 1 year. Lots of other UTEP coaches weren’t able to do that.

Think of the candidates we may have had in 2008 when we weren't so far removed from much better seasons. It could have all been very different as opposed to landing on Kugler after 4 more years of Mike Price losing football.

Jury is out on Walden, but picture a guy like that taking over the roster we had at the time. Could have probably had a more experienced version of him. But we settled for Kugler 4 years later.
Also have to remember that at the time, CUSA still included Memphis, Houston, SMU, and UCF. It was a good league and higher profile than what it’s turned into.

7 straight losing seasons was too much. But the one thing Price gave us was hope. Even though UTEP had AWFUL defenses you knew those UTEP teams were going to throw the ball and try to score points. I don’t think I’m alone in saying that era was the most fun I’ve had at UTEP football games. There was a reason we were always near the top in attendance even though we were losing, and it was because we pl
Here’s the thing though, even Kugler went bowling and had a winning record in CUSA play 1 year. Lots of other UTEP coaches weren’t able to do that.

Spare me the even Kuglar crap. Not going down this rabbit hole, but he had Aaron Jones. I could have taken that team bowling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT