ADVERTISEMENT

Poll Question

Spread offense is only way to win in college football

• Yes

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 73.1%

• Total voters
Yes, it diminishes the need for overpowering O-line. Which small schools like UTEP have a hard time filling with top notch talent. Also, it attracts decent skill position players(QB and WR).

I say no. A good defense is paramount in my opinion.
I agree that good defense is key. An example at a different level is Wisconsin, a team I'm very familiar with. Run oriented, heavily, with emphasis on big O-line, solid RB's, so so QB and a solid defense. Works well and would work for UTEP if they mix a bit more of a passing game in and develop a solid defense. Defense has not been good at UTEP in a long time.

Yes a good defense is key however it is extremely hard to get the athletes to get a good enough defense to stop top to middle power conference teams and much easier to get the athletes to run a good offense.... so I gotta go with offense for a mid major....maybe I am wrong but when was the last time any mid major team had a defense that stopped a power conference top tier team?? Most of the mid majors that do win win in shoot outs

Fair enough. But UTEP is the perfect example that a good defense trumps all. Under Price we were scoring 40+ points a game and it didn't matter when we were giving up 50+ a game. And with Kugler the slow grind it out offense can't hang when they're down big. Yet both systems have been successful when there is a good defense. I agree that your defense may not stop a big time offense, but the hope is that they don't get obliterated and it's impossible to catch up no matter what offense you're running.

I think you could like a few games with running style offense. But to win confrence championships and national titles you need the spread offense.

Fair enough. But UTEP is the perfect example that a good defense trumps all. Under Price we were scoring 40+ points a game and it didn't matter when we were giving up 50+ a game. And with Kugler the slow grind it out offense can't hang when they're down big. Yet both systems have been successful when there is a good defense. I agree that your defense may not stop a big time offense, but the hope is that they don't get obliterated and it's impossible to catch up no matter what offense you're running.

I understand what your saying... you can't have a super offense and a terrible defense I understand that... what I am saying is it's easier to build a dominant offense as opposed to a dominant defense as a mid major so I would focus on the offense bs the defense.... the goal would be to have an offense that could light up the scoreboard with an average defense as opposed to a utep offense with a dominant defense

Georgia Tech hired Paul Johnson in 2008 from Navy. He runs the exact same option offense in a P5 Conference and has won 4 ACC Coastal Division Championships during his 9 years at Georgia Tech, which very strong.

I understand what your saying... you can't have a super offense and a terrible defense I understand that... what I am saying is it's easier to build a dominant offense as opposed to a dominant defense as a mid major so I would focus on the offense bs the defense.... the goal would be to have an offense that could light up the scoreboard with an average defense as opposed to a utep offense with a dominant defense

I will agree with that. You're more likely to get a good under the radar QB or WR as opposed to a good under the radar DB or pass rusher.

Reactions: develman
Georgia Tech hired Paul Johnson in 2008 from Navy. He runs the exact same option offense in a P5 Conference and has won 4 ACC Coastal Division Championships during his 9 years at Georgia Tech, which very strong.

Always an exception to the rule....plus he runs an option attack that keeps people guessing and not running up the middle every damn play

Agree. My example of Wisconsin is that although they are known as a strong running team, in order for them to be successful against equally good teams, they have to have enough of a passing game to keep the defense honest. Sometimes they play lower level teams and try the approach of ramming the ball down their throats. Sometimes those lower level teams load the box and stop them and keep the games close. Plus they almost always have a solid defense. No matter the level, your conference games are your bread and butter. UTEP, so far, has not shown it can over power it's conference mates with their ground game and needs enough of a passing game to enable the ground game to be affective. Add a solid defense and they can be successful in C-USA.

Always an exception to the rule....plus he runs an option attack that keeps people guessing and not running up the middle every damn play

San Diego State is the midst of their most successful run in football ever. They have won back to back MWC championships. They run the ball more than we do. They have a power runing based offense and it works.

Temple the reigning champs of the AAC also are a power running team.

The biggest problem with a spread offense is that you leave the defense on the field too long.

Theres nothing wrong with a spread offense buts its not a cure all. The hardest posistions to recruit at UTEP are corners and interior d-lineman. If you dont have adequate talent or depth at either position group and run a spread offense its going to get really ugly real fast. We've seen that in the past. Ironically corner is the strongest position group on this years team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT