ADVERTISEMENT

Positive Vibes for Floyd

kickballpro

MI Miner Maniac
Mar 24, 2006
just wanted to start a thread that says nothing but good things about Coach Floyd. Lots of bad stuff over the years but lots of good too.

I met Coach at Bob Haack's funeral. He was approachable, funny, engaging, kind, nice, etc... I see him yelling at officials and kappy. He seems agitated in press conferences. But I think the he's a good guy at heart.

I also want to say it was amazing that he got a 5-star McDonalds All-American to get on National TV and choose UTEP.

I ran into Coach Floyd at the airport in Houston, and had the opportunity to chat with him for about a half hour. We covered so many topics, but what I remember more than anything was that I felt I was speaking with a true El Pasoan. He was open, funny, and genuine. I think he appreciated the shared passion for UTEP basketball by some random guy he met at the airport. The guy had a hell of a career coaching. I wish him the best in retirement.

I think I've mentioned before that I was coming out of the ticket office with a friend after getting tickets. We were greeted warmly by Coach Floyd as we exited and proceeded to engage in a lengthy conversation during which we discussed the team's status and I remember specifically talking in detail about Jon Bohannon. He was interested in fielding any and all questions. I had encounters with Tiecher and Barbee in the past where they each only offered a rude cold shoulder. I pretty much gave him my full support up to the end and always felt that any success we had , I hoped would be on his watch. Just wasn't meant to be.
Thanks Coach for giving it your best shot. I feel so genuinely rotten for you and know how lousy you feel. Good fortune to you.

I don't think you can doubt that he has a genuine passion for UTEP, the basketball program and its history, and for the city of El Paso.

He thought that he was doing what he was brought here to do. I think if we had caught a couple of breaks the first couple of years, we'd be having a very different conversation today. As has been said a lot recently, it just wasn't meant to be. And, that's life.

I met Coach Floyd in the airport in El Paso. He talked with me about El Paso, his family, and Don Haskins. He stuck me as a decent and genuine man. I wish him the best.

When I come to MIner football and basketball games I stay at the same hotel that UTEP hosts recruits and their parents, so I’ve gotten to speak with him on numerous occasions and have always came away from the conversations feeling good about his genuine passion for El Paso and UTEP.

One funny memory was meeting him on his way to have breakfast with 3 sets of parents and recruits and his fly was down. I discretely reminded him that his flag was out and he made a hilarious joke about it and thank me for looking after him. I wish him all the luck in the world!

GO MINERS!

When I come to MIner football and basketball games I stay at the same hotel that UTEP hosts recruits and their parents, so I’ve gotten to speak with him on numerous occasions and have always came away from the conversations feeling good about his genuine passion for El Paso and UTEP.

One funny memory was meeting him on his way to have breakfast with 3 sets of parents and recruits and his fly was down. I discretely reminded him that his flag was out and he made a hilarious joke about it and thank me for looking after him. I wish him all the luck in the world!

GO MINERS!
The guy is an encyclopedia of basketball knowledge and stories. His UTEP teams made some tremendous comebacks over the years which were awesome to watch.

I, too, wish Coach Floyd nothing but the best. I feel he has always worn his heart on his sleeve...something sorely lacking, at times, in today's society.

Flew out to Memphis to watch them play the Tigers. They came back from a large deficit to win the damn game. After the game we were walking over to Beale street and TF pulled over and talked to us. Asked if we liked the game and such.

That was the weekend he wasn't traveling with the team because his mom was having health issues. Looked like he was driving to his moms after the game.

Excellent X's and O's coach in D1. One of the best in college ball. Engaged with entire scope of american culture and society as it pertained to college hoops. Not only did he know high school and college players, he was laser focused on the circumstances of an american hoopster: Economic, social, political and cultural. He was so keen to it he leveraged those aspects to build the team he conceptualized for that given year.

However, as he got older he put dependence on his brand and his name, but that didn't diminish his prowess he brought to the game, even at UTEP.

Little known fact about coach Floyd: He was a whistle blower during his tenure at Southern Cal. The systematic wholesaling of recruits and the dark money from shoe companies was endemic in California even before it brought down Rick Patino and Tim reported this to the NCAA and to the School. It's a matter of record that nothing was done and he was basically a victim of a hatchet job by a few Media personalities and even investigated by the same NCAA (nothing was ever found) and the result was this "conventional wisdom" that he was somehow a bad guy, all evidence to the contrary. Look it up.
The NCAA is complicit in aiding and abetting the haves against the have-nots and as usual, the gulf between the rich and poor grows exponentially every year.

I wish all the best for Tim Floyd. I hope he takes cares of his health.

http://www.kvia.com/sports/espn-rad...etired-due-to-serious-health-issues/663590431
What is this "serious health issue"? Kappy hasn't spoken to the guy in 18 months. This is just his opinion, not fact. If Floyd has health issues then he could of just said as much. Why are we focusing on the vague 15 seconds were he says he has some issues of his own the past 2-3 weeks and his family agreed it was time to retire? Instead we should be keen of the fact he couldn't fulfill his promise/wishes at UTEP and it was time to go. Best of luck to Floyd and his family/health. I have nothing against him now that he is gone, but I'm a UTEP fan and a fan of transparency and positive vibes. I'm not a fan of excuses.

Last edited:
What is this "serious health issue"? Kappy hasn't spoken to the guy in 18 months. This is just his opinion, not fact. If Floyd has health issues then he could of just said as much. Why are we focusing on the vague 15 seconds were he says he has some issues of his own the past 2-3 weeks and his family agreed it was time to retire? Instead we should be keen of the fact he couldn't fulfill his promise/wishes at UTEP and it was time to go. Best of luck to Floyd and his family/health. I have nothing against him now that he is gone, but I'm a UTEP fan and a fan of transparency and positive vibes. I'm not a fan of excuses.

It's a fact. Even Willms said he had health issues.

Give the guy some privacy. He doesn't have to go in detail about what his health problems are.

It's a fact. Even Willms said he had health issues.

Give the guy some privacy. He doesn't have to go in detail about what his health problems are.
No, Willms did not say that much. Oh and Kaplowitz's report about Floyd is his OPINION, not fact. Yours is opinion as well. Now if Kappy knew for a fact that Floyd was ill and reported it as such without Floyd's permission, then that would be an invasion of privacy and even worse if he disclosed the illness. I heard what Floyd said, what Willms said and what Kaplowitz said. Understand now?

No, Willms did not say that much. Oh and Kaplowitz's report about Floyd is his OPINION, not fact. Yours is opinion as well. Now if Kappy knew for a fact that Floyd was ill and reported it as such without Floyd's permission, then that would be an invasion of privacy and even worse if he disclosed the illness. I heard what Floyd said, what Willms said and what Kaplowitz said. Understand now?

From the El Paso Times:
"Matt Willms, a sixth-year player now in graduate school, said quietly, "It's tough. It's tough. He's got a family and he's got to worry about his health. He's a great father, a great husband and a great coach. He's done a lot for this program and he's done a lot for me and my career."

What Kappy reported:
"If you watch the video of Floyd announcing his retirement, he says at the 3:05 mark that his family told him it was time to call it quits. He then mentions that he had some issues of his own in the last two to three weeks, but that he would be fine. People close to the basketball team tell me that Floyd is suffering from high blood pressure that could be magnified with the stress of coaching college basketball. His father Lee lived to be just 53 years old and that could have been a factor in his sudden decision to step down."

Unless you're calling Kappy a liar, then the reason he stepped down was because he has high blood pressure.

So now he has high BP? LMFAO! Not sure what else to tell you except I think your reading comprehension is very poor and your blinders are big.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
So now he has high BP? LMFAO! Not sure what else to tell you except I think your reading comprehension is very poor and your blinders are big.

" People close to the basketball team tell me that Floyd is suffering from high blood pressure that could be magnified with the stress of coaching college basketball. His father Lee lived to be just 53 years old and that could have been a factor in his sudden decision to step down"

I am not sure what you're arguing about and why you are laughing about his health issues.

High blood pressure is easily treated with medications. In many instances, it is effectively treated only with diet and exercise. HTN is not a serious medical condition requiring Floyd to retire, but being 0-6 is! Saying Floyd retired because of his BP is akin to saying he retired due to hemorrhoids. Haskins coach 5 years after he suffered his first heart attack. Now that is a serious medical condition.

Last edited:
" People close to the basketball team tell me that Floyd is suffering from high blood pressure that could be magnified with the stress of coaching college basketball. His father Lee lived to be just 53 years old and that could have been a factor in his sudden decision to step down"

I am not sure what you're arguing about and why you are laughing about his health issues.
I'm laughing at you..

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
Steve if you are out there...

I didn't hear you say that Floyd has high BP on the air yesterday, but if you did that's a HIPAA violation and you could get in big trouble. I would say that you are much smarter than that Steve, but 777 is vouching that you said it.

Last edited:
High blood pressure is easily treated with medications. In many instances, it is effectively treated only with diet and exercise. HTN is not a serious medical condition requiring Floyd to retire, but being 0-6 is! Saying Floyd retired because of his BP is akin to saying he retired due to hemorrhoids. Haskins coach 5 years after he suffered his first heart attack. Now that is a serious medical condition.

High blood pressure can get serious with a lot of stress.

I am sure he wanted to keep coaching, but his family asked him to retire and he respected their wishes.

Laugh at me and laugh at Floyd's health condition all you want. Just shows what type of person you are.
No just laughing at you.

People close to the team told me that Floyd doesn't have high blood pressure. Do you beleive that?

I have had high blood pressure for 8 years. Never retired. Stress is when you worry about the bills being paid, place to live, food on the table for your family. Sitting with millions in the bank and worried about getting into the dance is not all that bad of a life.

I have had high blood pressure for 8 years. Never retired. Stress is when you worry about the bills being paid, place to live, food on the table for your family. Sitting with millions in the bank and worried about getting into the dance is not all that bad of a life.

Stress occurs whether you're rich or poor and being a college basketball coach is a very stressful job.

It's been a number of years since I was active as a health care administrator, but I do recall that hypertension was known as the "silent killer" in those days. It is true that it can be controlled in the majority of cases with proper dosing of specific meds, but there will always be situations where uncontrolled stress can tip the scales leading to a medical emergency. Blood pressure rises so quickly and severely that it requires immediate treatment. Hypertension can even lead to a heart attack when left uncontrolled. It is also somewhat common that elevated blood pressure can lead to strokes and less often to kidney failure and aneurysms. Those individuals that have been diagnosed with hypertension can certainly lead normal lives, as I have, for a number of years, but I would never compare it to the challenges one has with hemorrhoids(lol.)

Reactions: El Paso 777
It's extremely asinine to compare high blood pressure to hemorrhoids.

But. like others have said, best of luck to Floyd in his retirement and I hope he gets his health under control.

[QUOTE="El Paso 777, post: 91096, member: 3737"

Give the guy some privacy. He doesn't have to go in detail about what his health problems are.[/QUOTE]

This coming from the same poster who publicly on a few occasions aired out Kugler’s dirty laundry. Much hypocrisy, no.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
[QUOTE="El Paso 777, post: 91096, member: 3737"

This coming from the same poster who publicly on a few occasions aired out Kugler’s dirty laundry. Much hypocrisy, no.[/QUOTE]

You're right, cheating on your wife and a health condition are the same. :rolleyes:

This coming from the same poster who publicly on a few occasions aired out Kugler’s dirty laundry. Much hypocrisy, no.

You're right, cheating on your wife and a health condition are the same. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
I believe both of them are entitled to some privacy regarding their personal life.

You have said you believe what Floyd and Kappy says regarding TF’s health. So now I respectfully ask you to link an article from the media or a quote from Kugler where it mentions his affair.

You're right, cheating on your wife and a health condition are the same. :rolleyes:
I believe both of them are entitled to some privacy regarding their personal life.

You have said you believe what Floyd and Kappy says regarding TF’s health. So now I respectfully ask you to link an article from the media or a quote from Kugler where it mentions his affair.[/QUOTE]

Like others who have stated on here it came from a reliable source from somebody who I trust very much. You don't have to believe it if you don't want to, but it's not the first time I have heard the same things stated.

This is a message board. Message boards range from gossip to opinions to facts. Some things you can prove with news articles, etc. and some you can't. Obviously you know know there isn't a news article to prove it, so you will just have to take my word for it.

A quote from Kugler where it mentions his affair? LMAO!!! #KuglerWatergate

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT