ADVERTISEMENT

Remembering Jeep

Cube Jack

MI Hall of Famer
Mar 10, 2006
El Paso, TX
Are you old enough to remember Jeep Jackson? Did you ever see him play? I remember seeing him play when I was in 8th grade. Then as a high school freshman I remember a friend of mine always chanted "Jeep" when he'd take a shot at the basket. My sister knew him personally and I always heard about what a funny guy he was. Those mid-80s UTEP teams beat Pac 10 and Big East ranked teams.

Today Haskins is gone as well. Since then we've seen other players go too soon like Gym Bice, Roy "Chucky" Howard and Damion Goza... but none hit as hard as losing Jeep Jackson. If you've ever been in the lockerroom maybe you saw his locker still there. For 30 years no one else wore #22 though it was never retired. This year Coach Floyd had Paul Thomas wear it. I don't know if his number will ever hang with Richardson, Hill, Flournoy, Lattin, Barnes, Archibald and Hardaway but I don't think anyone who remembers him would complain.

Last edited:
I'm hosting a special Jeep Jackson Tribute Show tomorrow from 3p-6p at Spirit of 66, a brand new boutique sports bar located at 2712 N. Mesa across from the DHC. Soup Campbell, Fred Reynolds, and Paul Cunningham will be at Spirit of 66 and sharing their memories of Jeep on the show. If any of you, like Cube Jack have some Jeep stories, stop by tomorrow and I'll put you on Sportstalk. If not, please share them on this thread.

Kappy

I was on hand to see all of Jeep's home games for his entire UTEP career, and numerous other road games (@ NMSU, UNM, AFA, and CSU). The game I will remember most of his was the 1987 OT thriller against U of A in McKale. As a matter of fact, that's the greatest Miners win I've seen in person.

I was on hand to see all of Jeep's home games for his entire UTEP career, and numerous other road games (@ NMSU, UNM, AFA, and CSU). The game I will remember most of his was the 1987 OT thriller against U of A in McKale. As a matter of fact, that's the greatest Miners win I've seen in person.

I wasn't there in person, but that was the Arizona game is my favorite Miner game ever.

Excuse me for not knowing but why is his nickname Jeep? I wasn't born during his playing days and I've heard a lot of him but don't know much about him.

One of Hernell's traits was his seemingly endless amount of energy and constant motor, like a "Jeep". Something along those lines. It was a nickname given him as a youngster growing up in Carson, CA.

If anyone has video of the ceremony, please post it somewhere. I am out of town and so bummed I had to miss this.

When they're playing basketball, some kids pretend to be Steph Curry, or 20 years ago, Michael Jordan. I pretended to be Jeep Jackson. As a 9-year-old I wrote the number 22 on a white t-shirt and wore it when shooting jumpers in the driveway. Jeep Jackson was the first player I ever made a sign for. I wrote "Beep, Beep, Let's Go Jeep!" on a poster board (Hey, I was 10) and took it to a few games. I was so heartbroken when he died that I drew a picture of him and sent it to his parents in a letter. They very kindly wrote me back a nice note which I still have and treasure to this day. Jeep Jackson was a big part of my childhood and I am grateful for the time he spent with us.

Since I worked my way through school, I was still finishing up a few classes when Jeep was a sophomore I think. I remember him and Richmond walking out of old main as I was walking in. I wished them good luck on an upcoming game and Jeep says Thank you Sir. I was pleased at his politeness, then heartbroken. Did Jeep really just call me Sir? Yes, I was a full-time working stiff already, but still considered myself a college kid. Ah, Jeep. Thanks for the memories.

When they're playing basketball, some kids pretend to be Steph Curry, or 20 years ago, Michael Jordan. I pretended to be Jeep Jackson. As a 9-year-old I wrote the number 22 on a white t-shirt and wore it when shooting jumpers in the driveway. Jeep Jackson was the first player I ever made a sign for. I wrote "Beep, Beep, Let's Go Jeep!" on a poster board (Hey, I was 10) and took it to a few games. I was so heartbroken when he died that I drew a picture of him and sent it to his parents in a letter. They very kindly wrote me back a nice note which I still have and treasure to this day. Jeep Jackson was a big part of my childhood and I am grateful for the time he spent with us.
Cool, I was a lukewarm UTEP fan back then, the Tim Hardaway era is what got me to be hardcore. I know he passed away(I think at a pick up game?) What was the official cause of death? If anyone knows.

Cool, I was a lukewarm UTEP fan back then, the Tim Hardaway era is what got me to be hardcore. I know he passed away(I think at a pick up game?) What was the official cause of death? If anyone knows.

Last night during the game on TV, his death was announced as being due to a cardiac arrhythmia.

Back when it happened, during an exhibition game at Ft Bliss, a much different reason was cited. One I hesitate to mention.

Reactions: develman
Last night during the game on TV, his death was announced as being due to a cardiac arrhythmia.

Back when it happened, during an exhibition game at Ft Bliss, a much different reason was cited. One I hesitate to mention.

May 2, 1987. As a 12 year old kid, I was devastated. Watching the news and seeing Wayne Campbell, with tears in his eyes, walking out of Beaumont Medical shortly after Jeep had passed was very surreal.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/archives/2016/10/25/1987-uteps-jeep-jackson-dies/92694712/

Reactions: MineroFanatico
May 2, 1987. As a 12 year old kid, I was devastated. Watching the news and seeing Wayne Campbell, with tears in his eyes, walking out of Beaumont Medical shortly after Jeep had passed was very surreal.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/archives/2016/10/25/1987-uteps-jeep-jackson-dies/92694712/

I remember it too. I was 16. I actually cried.

Aside from court memories, the one with Jeep that I most often remember is when he was being interviewed by some local sports guy after a game. It was after a win and he was just being himself, gracious, humble and really answering the reporter's questions sincerely. His best bud, Quintan (sp?) Gates quietly came up from behind Jeep and with his long ass Inspector Gadget neck peeked around one side of Jeep's face, then without moving his body, only his neck, moved behind and over to the other side of Jeep's face, think ET neck, until he eventually got close enough that Jeep saw him. The look on Jeep's face is so embedded in my memory. A very short lived look of "absolute and total surprise and WTF are you doing dude?!?" Then laughter from Q, then the reporter then Jeep busted out with one of those deep down in the belly laughs. Such a small, seemingly insignificant moment...but it wasn't because I remember it so vividly almost 30 years later. RIP Jeep.

That became one of the main warnings we were given in Dr. Byrd's journalism class at UTEP. If a news outlet is going to report something potentially inflammatory as fact they'd sure as heck better know it to be true beyond any doubt. The El Paso Times had to post an embarrassing retraction. Dr. Byrd used the Jeep Jackson death as the primary example of what could cost a journalist their career.

Was out of town and unable to go... anyone got an extra shirt they'd be willing to part with?

That's right miner661, that was the best game that I saw, even better than the Kansas game that got us in the Sweet Sixteen. Was too young for the 66 Championship.

Reactions: miner661
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT