ADVERTISEMENT

Rice vs UTEP game thread

MineroFanatico

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 11, 2015
Anybody got the 411 on Rice? Seems like I’ve heard that as their guards go, they go as a team. Kinda been hit or miss.

Anybody heard more, or different?

Miners 74-70.

UTEP +2.5 with 30% chance to win on ESPN tracker.

Rice's 3 starting guards are their top scorers and probably one of the top 3pt shooting teams in CUSA. Rice makes the most free throws and gives up the least. Fiedler gave us fits last year.

UTEP must defend the perimiter well AND not allow Fiedler free reign.

Miners 63-62

UTEP +2.5 with 30% chance to win on ESPN tracker.

Rice's 3 starting guards are their top scorers and probably one of the top 3pt shooting teams in CUSA. Rice makes the most free throws and gives up the least. Fiedler gave us fits last year.

UTEP must defend the perimiter well AND not allow Fiedler free reign.

Miners 63-62
Agree axing. We have made several CUSA bigs look better than they should, with some of that due to our perimeter defensive strategy. Fiedler is a key; not just for his interior scoring, but also because of his passing/ability to find the open man. Their half court offense runs through him. Offensively, we need to drive to the hole as much as possible and grab some offensive rebounds; which aren't strengths for us by any means. I don't think we will be able to outshoot them from three on the road. Rice, to me, is one of those teams that can beat anyone in the league because they have so many offensive weapons. I think it will be a tough one.

this is a tough call to make. If the Miners start off cold, which they seem to do often, then they will get buried my the threes that Rice will make.. Miner defense seems to be still a work in progress but the offense seems to be ahead of their defense.
So if the Miners can get "real hot" in the first half by going inside then they will win by 14. But letting Rice stay around in the second half, will push Rice to a 3 point win.
either way, its going to be a barn burner.
lets win 6 in a row.

Golding looks nervous. Let out a huge breath when he walked into the court.

Great start by the Miners. Bienemy is everywhere, we're forcing turnovers, getting some offensive rebounds of our own.. I hope that we can keep it up (but we won't)

Reactions: Lil_Train
Great start by the Miners. Bienemy is everywhere, we're forcing turnovers, getting some offensive rebounds of our own.. I hope that we can keep it up (but we won't)
But still giving up way too many to our opponents. Fortunately they haven't been able to take advantage of their offensive boards.

We've cooled down, which we unfortunately knew was coming. Let's hope that the defense holds up.

I hate that you can't bang down low anymore. In the old days the defender would set his feet, put our his chest, and try to deny the offensive player position. Now the defender just flops and gets the call every time.
Yeah, it’s become a softer game. A ref’s game.

A really strong start, and then we were weak from then on. Also, what a fast half

We scored 20 points in the first 7:30 minutes of the game. We scored 8 points the last 12:30 minutes of the game. Hot or cold. No warm.

Reactions: MinerManiac
It's a real shame we went from games with UH and RICE to soon SHSU. Really gonna miss watching UTEP in this city.

It started so well. Oh well, it's still a close game at the half on the road.

I feel the Miners have another run in them for the 2nd half.

It’s evident. We need to push the ball every opportunity. Our half court offense is too slow and almost stagnant.

Hollins did in one attempt what TV couldn't in 3 straight possessions.

Make that 2 in a row.

Verhoeven is just brutal inside offensively. Then Onyema comes in and gives up another offensive rebound to Fiedler. Come on.

Reactions: MinerManiac
Hollins did in one attempt what TV couldn't in 3 straight possessions.

Make that 2 in a row.
TV is infuriating. Like that he’s being aggressive, but ****, gotta make more of those point blank shots.

Hollins is solid going up amongst the trees. He makes more put backs than he misses.

The students are haggling TV hard. Cheering him on when he subbed in. Hopefully he shuts them up.

Hope the guy with green shoes is OK but he has been giving us fits all game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT