ADVERTISEMENT

Rice vs UTEP

That’s stupid this team is far from awful…. We are inches away from being undefeated in this conference —- they can play with anyone in the league and in this league only thing that matters is the tournament
This team plays hard (especially on defense), but it is not a good team. Not talented enough. This team doesn't have the elements to be successful in a conference tournament... unless they find consistent basketball IQ, outside shooting and especially free throw shooting.

Rice U.

2022-23 National UTEP “Sweep” Champs.

Where you going after this phenomenal game Coach Pera?!
giphy.webp

I hope so. Agree about pounding the ball inside. Use all 3 bigs to get Fiedler tired and in foul trouble then pound it inside even more.
Agree. Although UTEP scored 56 pts in the paint against Rice, I thought their zone offense could have been even better. The key guys in the UTEP zone attack are the middlemen Solomon (and at times, dos Anjos), and they need to be better.

Golding has mentioned that when the ball touches the paint first, they shoot nearly 40% from 3 point range. At this level, it is very difficult to coach perimeter players to pass up wide open shots. I thought UTEP did alot of good things against Rice. In the end, Rice hitting 10 threes (44%) proved to be the difference. Again, it is very tough to overcome an inability to make open shots. I definitely get what you all are saying, and can see that approach working better against a man to man defense, but against a zone it is much more difficult. If the 40% 3 point rate after first touching the paint is accurate, it would seem the adjustment for Golding is to make sure that happens every half court possession.

Last edited:
Agree. Although UTEP scored 56 pts in the paint against Rice, I thought their zone offense could have been better. The key guys in the UTEP zone attack is the middleman Solomon (and at times, dos Anjos), and they need to be better.

Golding has mentioned that when the ball touches the paint first, they shoot nearly 40% from 3 point range. At this level, it is very difficult to coach perimeter players to pass up wide open shots. I thought UTEP did alot of good things against Rice. In the end, Rice hitting 10 threes (44%) proved to be the difference. Again, it is very tough to overcome an inability to make open shots. I definitely get what you all are saying, and can see that approach working better against a man to man defense, but against a zone it is much more difficult. If the 40% 3 point rate after first touching the paint is accurate, it would seem the adjustment for Golding is to make sure that happens every half court possession.
Fair enough!

Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT