ADVERTISEMENT

"Seniors"

I didn't realize that Boum, Kennedy and Tydus will all graduate. I hope we don't lose any of these guys.
I think it was during the MTSU game where Teicher interviewed Boum and they talked about his graduation. Just a personal gut feeling but I don't see him returning 😕.

I think it was during the MTSU game where Teicher interviewed Boum and they talked about his graduation. Just a personal gut feeling but I don't see him returning 😕.
Well let's hope he does. I think he has progressed into more of the closer that we had hoped for last year. Him staying should help us recruit a big as well.

Kennedy is on the verge of being a star at UTEP. His scoring and leadership have taken a big jump this year. I hope he stays as well and becomes a UTEP great.

We could have one of the top backcourts in all of Mid-Majors next season if everybody stays. They stayed once. Why not stay again. I think they can all see Goldings and this teams trajectory.

Reactions: MinerManiac
We could have one of the top backcourts in all of Mid-Majors next season if everybody stays. They stayed once. Why not stay again. I think they can all see Goldings and this teams trajectory.
Because they have their degrees. But if they believe in Golding (given the team's improvement, I believe the answer is yes) and they believe they're on the cusp of something special next season, then there's a chance they'll stay.

First thing, let's see if they can make a run in the CUSA Tourney.

Adrian Broadus has been hinting on Miner Talk that he's heard more than 1 of our major contributors won't be returning. Golding needs to rerecruit our core players hard this off-season
No shit, Sherlock

Adrian Broadus has also said that Bienemy is totally bought in and loves Golding. I think if we did lose Boum and Kennedy, it would be because they are seeing what Bryson is able to do this season at Tech and play in front of sold out crowds with top 25 competition. I don’t think it will be because of how they feel about Golding or the program. Yes, they can stay here and continue to hear fans complain about ticket prices and play in front of 5,000, or they can go to a National championship contender program and play in front of a sold out crowd. I mean, seriously, it sucks, but who can blame them.

Adrian Broadus has also said that Bienemy is totally bought in and loves Golding. I think if we did lose Boum and Kennedy, it would be because they are seeing what Bryson is able to do this season at Tech and play in front of sold out crowds with top 25 competition. I don’t think it will be because of how they feel about Golding or the program. Yes, they can stay here and continue to hear fans complain about ticket prices and play in front of 5,000, or they can go to a National championship contender program and play in front of a sold out crowd. I mean, seriously, it sucks, but who can blame them.
Yep and there is nothing UTEP can do about it anymore unless we just pour millions into the program. We missed that mid major powerhouse train when Barbee left.

Reactions: picks up
No NC contender is coming after Boum or Kennedy.

That's the kind of feeling I got but didn't want to say it. He's best friend with Williams and talk to each other everyday. Something tells me he wants to do want Williams is doing this year, for his final year.

That's the kind of feeling I got but didn't want to say it. He's best friend with Williams and talk to each other everyday. Something tells me he wants to do want Williams is doing this year, for his final year.
Boum or Kennedy?

If we lost both of those guys then I would probably lose most of my interest in following UTEP basketball. No reason to keep watching perennial turnover and what ifs. It's already taken its toll for the past 12 years

If we lost both of those guys then I would probably lose most of my interest in following UTEP basketball. No reason to keep watching perennial turnover and what ifs. It's already taken its toll for the past 12 years
Turnover is the game now. Golding knows that.

Didn't UNT lose important players and McCasland rebuilt the team for this year? The Portal is something all coaches have to adjust to.
That’s why UNT was picked at the bottom of the conference preseason…it will Be hard for them to keep McCasland after this season. Moving to the AAC will help them retain him though.

No NC contender is coming after Boum or Kennedy.
I disagree. Boum will be a 1st team conference selection and will probably win the conference scoring title as well. He will definitely get some looks from big profile schools IMO. Kennedy is more of a question mark, if he didn’t get injured, I would think he would get some great looks as well.

Boum is a gifted player, but he’s physically slight for pro ball. Hope he succeeds whatever he does.

But I have decided not to worry about the portal and next season just yet! This season is not even over and our team is peaking when they need to be peaking and who knows, with some great play and a little luck, we have the ability on a perfect day to win this tournament! Go miners!
Yeah I'm almost sorry I started this thread. Kind of a downer!

Last edited:
Yeah I'm almost sorry I startedthis thread. Kind of a downer!
On the last coach's show this past week, Golding was asked about possibly playing in a post season tournament. Not trying to be a downer either, but he really didn't sound too enthusiastic about participating. Instead, he said it may be time to just start "recruiting". I wondered with the core of the team returning next year, why would he not want to get a little more court experience going into next season? Now I am wondering if it has more to do with what is being mentioned in this thread. Hope this isn't the case, but that is the reality we face at this level.

Reactions: JCorona
That’s why UNT was picked at the bottom of the conference preseason…it will Be hard for them to keep McCasland after this season. Moving to the AAC will help them retain him though.
They were picked 6th and ended up winning the season title. They improved a lot from last year.

It can be done at our level and in our conference. I have faith Golding is the kind of coach to duplicate what McCasland has done at UNT but question marks still surround Golding's recruiting. Next year he might get the opportunity to showcase his own talent.

They were picked 6th and ended up winning the season title. They improved a lot from last year.

It can be done at our level and in our conference. I have faith Golding is the kind of coach to duplicate what McCasland has done at UNT but question marks still surround Golding's recruiting. Next year he might get the opportunity to showcase his own talent.
McCasland did lose talent in Hamlet, Reese, and Simmons from last year's team; but he had some good talent waiting in the wings. He then brought in a real difference maker in Perry. They aren't a deep team, but very good on defense and grind it our offensively. Again, to me, the guy that they had to have back from last year is Thomas Bell. It will be interesting to see how UNT holds up in the conference tourney with their lack of depth. The loss to UTEP really impacts their at large chances, which is a shame looking at their overall body of work.

Now MTSU has been a huge surprise, but they also added a big time impact transfer. Like you mentioned JC, it can be done at this level. I'm anxious to see who Golding will add beyond Evans and dos Anjos.

Reactions: MinerManiac
McCasland did lose talent in Hamlet, Reese, and Simmons from last year's team; but he had some good talent waiting in the wings. He then brought in a real difference maker in Perry. They aren't a deep team, but very good on defense and grind it our offensively. Again, to me, the guy that they had to have back from last year is Thomas Bell. It will be interesting to see how UNT holds up in the conference tourney with their lack of depth. The loss to UTEP really impacts their at large chances, which is a shame looking at their overall body of work.

Now MTSU has been a huge surprise, but they also added a big time impact transfer. Like you mentioned JC, it can be done at this level. I'm anxious to see who Golding will add beyond Evans and dos Anjos.
We made the committee's job extremely easy. It's win or NIT. They hava a lot of wins and a nice season but are lacking quad one wins. Their only one is against (55) UAB. After that their second best win is at (78) Wichita St. It's not enough to get serious consideration. Had they won today, I still think they would have struggled to get an at large.

Reactions: Lil_Train
We made the committee's job extremely easy. It's win or NIT. They hava a lot of wins and a nice season but are lacking quad one wins. Their only one is against (55) UAB. After that their second best win is at (78) Wichita St. It's not enough to get serious consideration. Had they won today, I still think they would have struggled to get an at large.
You are absolutely right JC. Despite some media clamoring about an at large bid for UNT, their chances were near zero even with a win. I was thinking maybe a win today, and loss to UAB in the finals, but nah. Again, we always go back to the reality that CUSA is nothing more than a one big league.

Reactions: Rot and JCorona
Kennedy, Sibley, and JB came from big programs. JB and Sibley came to Utep to have bigger roles . Boum needs to just look at JB. If Boum goes to another program he isnt gonna get 20 shot attempts.

I'm more worried about Golding. If UTEP makes a run to the tourney. Golding has had 2 successful seasons back to back. If UTEP makes the tourney, schools will be contacting Goldings agent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT