ADVERTISEMENT

Should UTEP rest Aaron Jones for the season?

Should the coaches rest Jones for the final two games? Should he enter the draft?

• Rest & enter draft

• Play & enter draft

• Rest & come back next season

• Play & come back next season

Results are only viewable after voting.

M i n e r

Rookie
Mar 20, 2016
With the Miners being eliminated from bowl eligibility and Aaron Jones taking over as UTEP's all-time leading rusher, should the coaches rest him for the final two games with nothing to play for?

Should he enter the draft this year?

With the Miners being eliminated from bowl eligibility and Aaron Jones taking over as UTEP's all-time leading rusher, should the coaches rest him for the final two games with nothing to play for?

Should he enter the draft this year?
I think he should play the last 2 games just like the rest of the players on the team. It is a team game and I'm pretty sure he loves his teammates and wants to play.

As for the draft, he should at least investigate to get an idea of what round and his value but I believe he will be back to play next year.

Aaron is one of the best RB in college. He is playing for a team that has nothing around him that other teams worry about and still putting up numbers. He has NFL speed so thats not a problem. Aaron and his family would be making a mistake to come back to play another year of " beat Aaron up football " for UTEP. Put him on any of the top teams in the country and he is in the talk as one of the top back in any award. He is truly that good.

He shouldn't, and he won't sit out the last two games. He seems like a solid person and a team player and we have yet to see him act out of frustration due to misuse or the team's play on the field. So I can't imagine him being selfish enough to sit out the rest of the season. I'm sure his military parents would frown upon that. Plus if there is a slight chance he isn't coming back next year I don't see him missing the final two opportunities to be on the same field as his brother .

He'll finish the year for his team I dont even know why or think that's even a question. As far as a leaving after the year no it wouldn't be a mistake. He has his degree, he's gained 60lbs since his Freshman year he'd be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. So not saying he should or shouldn't, but he definitely will have a choice to make at the end of the season.

I'm sure your question was sincere, but it really was pointless in my opinion. That is not the way a competitor thinks, and Jones is a true competitor. He would be drafted this year, and make a roster. The speed, strength and skill is there. Still, I think he'll play his Senior year.

Last edited:
Reactions: minerdefense
If im Jone's advisor I tell him to declare for the draft. He is going to go somewhere in the sixth or seventh round or sign as an undrafted free agent. His stock will not rise dramatically if he comes back next year. He also risk injury that could end his nfl dreams.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
It all comes down to what Jones values most, which none of know for sure. If he is seriously looking at an NFL career then he needs to leave. His stock won't be any higher than this year especially with one more year of wear and tear. But if he values living in El Paso, one more year of trying to make a bowl game, and playing with his brother then he should stay. I'm sure if he left a year early part of him could regret not playing that last year out with Alvin. Especially when whatever NFL career he's had is long gone.

If im Jone's advisor I tell him to declare for the draft. He is going to go somewhere in the sixth or seventh round or sign as an undrafted free agent. His stock will not rise dramatically if he comes back next year. He also risk injury that could end his nfl dreams.
Disagree about the 6th or 7th round, he'll be 2nd -4th if he leaves after this year No Doubt!

Reactions: allminer
I would be surprised if Jones get drafted. Running backs are not a hot commodity in the NFL draft. If he does, it will be the 6th or 7th round with him being on the practice squad. It was a big mistake for Vince to leave and I think a big mistake for Aaron to leave.

I would be surprised if Jones get drafted. Running backs are not a hot commodity in the NFL draft. If he does, it will be the 6th or 7th round with him being on the practice squad. It was a big mistake for Vince to leave and I think a big mistake for Aaron to leave.
I dont think Vince's situation is anything like Jones, with the exception of both of them playing for Utep. Bad example, one has nothing to do with the other, your comparing Apples and Bananas bro! None of us are NFL experts, but I'd wager to bet if he went out he'd get drafted before the 5th round and be pretty confident. If he stays another year he'd jump to 2nd.

Reactions: MEXTEX1
This year's RB draft class is very strong and deep. There is no way Jones goes in the 2nd to 4th round. He will still be available in the 6th or 7th round.

Reactions: UTEP05
A.J. will have to be part of special teams too and he'll be a valued contributor there. He'll be on someone's NFL team next year.

I dont think Vince's situation is anything like Jones, with the exception of both of them playing for Utep. Bad example, one has nothing to do with the other, your comparing Apples and Bananas bro! None of us are NFL experts, but I'd wager to bet if he went out he'd get drafted before the 5th round and be pretty confident. If he stays another year he'd jump to 2nd.

I will take that bet easily. They are pretty similar situations because Vince had a chance to get drafted (nothing definite). It's the same case for Jones. As other have stated, he will get drafted in the 6th or 7th round (if at all).

Reactions: CubsFan81
Wow some of yall don't truly realize how good Jones is. No wonder the nation doesn't respect him either.

Reactions: allminer
I will take that bet easily. They are pretty similar situations because Vince had a chance to get drafted (nothing definite). It's the same case for Jones. As other have stated, he will get drafted in the 6th or 7th round (if at all).
Must be nice to be so knowledgeable

Not the same At All! Vince left as a Sophomore, Jones has been at Utep for 4 years first of all. We can definitely bet if he goes out this year, but I dont think he will.

No doubt Jones is a great player. The things that hurt Jones in the NFL are he will not be a three down back in the nfl, his best chance is a 3rd down back. And he has durability reasons. For these reasons nfl teams are not going to use anything more than a 6th or 7th round pick at best.

Not the same At All! Vince left as a Sophomore, Jones has been at Utep for 4 years first of all. We can definitely bet if he goes out this year, but I dont think he will.

Sure, I will take that bet. You say he will get drafted before the 5th round I would be VERY surprised if that happened.

You clearly missed my point. Vince went out with the possibility of getting drafted, the same would happen with Jones. Jones isn't a lock to get drafted and/or make an NFL team.

Like I said I dont think he'll go out this year, but if he does he'll be at least a 5th round pic yes I'll take that bet. If he goes out next year he'll be a 2nd or 3rd.

This would've been Jones' Senior year. Physically, he's ready. The 3 down back is quickly becoming a thing of the past in the NFL, and even today's 3 down backs get spelled a few series a game. Not getting drafted would not spell doom for Jones, especially if there's a glut of backs in the class. Teams will pass and take a player as a free agent, knowing the player will be there and available. It's done all the time. Remember, its a business. Many free agents on NFL rosters got there that way. Bottom line, Jones is NFL caliber right now. Those aren't blinders speaking. However, all this is probably moot, my gut feeling is he comes back.

He will definately not be a 2nd or 3rd round pick next season. Why would a nfl team use a 2nd round or 3rd round pick on a RB that will be an ever down back in the NFL and has durability issues???
D. Henry from Alabama won the Heisman last season and he was taken in the 2nd round of this year's nfl draft. Jones is no D. Henry.

Earlier this year, on one of Kugler's Radio Shows, Jones mentioned that he was close to graduating. I would love to see him return to play his Senior year and if he chooses to go to the NFL then I will cheer for him, but my biggest fear is him graduating and somebody getting into his(and Alvin's) ear, and them going to a different school next year as graduate transfers.

I think Jones could go in the mid to late rounds in the draft just based on the fact that he is at UTEP. But the draft gurus will definitely list him high on the list of "sleepers".

If I were jones I have given everything to utep and been here four years... I would transfer to a power 5 team that would be interested

Reactions: FiliUTEP
If I were jones I have given everything to utep and been here four years... I would transfer to a power 5 team that would be interested

That's what I would if NFL wasn't a option yet. Jones should go to a school that gives him exposure and a chance to win. Baylor or Texas would be nice for him.

Let's be realistic. .. Aaron Jones unfortunately would NOT start over Chris Warren at UT-Austin. Shock Lin wood is a senior at Baylor, but they do a running back by committee and are getting Johnny Jefferson back next season.

Let's be realistic. .. Aaron Jones unfortunately would NOT start over Chris Warren at UT-Austin. Shock Lin wood is a senior at Baylor, but they do a running back by committee and are getting Johnny Jefferson back next season.

those were just some examples. What upside does Jones have for coming back to UTEP? he already has degree and he is UTeps all time rushing leader? what more does he need to do here?

How is there no upside?? You will have a ton more recognition and a lot better players around you which could open up things for you even more

He has one year of eligibility left. Any kind of injury would derail his nfl dreams, think Donald Buckram. For four years the offense has been tailored to and centered around Jones. That wont be the case at a new school. He hasnt had to share carries here he would at another school. There would be more competition he probably would lose carries. Just because its a power five school doesnt make it a better situation.

I don't see how going to a bigger school will help AJ. The talent is there, we've all seen it. If you believe AJ can waltz onto a top tier school and start then he should be talented enough to go in a seven round draft. So there is no point in going to a other school and risk losing playing time or injury. I can not imagine he would go undrafted, especially when his college coach has NFL ties. I'm sure Kugler will call Dirk Kotter, Andy Reid and Mike Tomlin and let them know how special AJ is.

How do yall figure he is a 3rd down back. Hell Jones can play right now in the starting line up for NFL teams. I don't know who the hell yall been watching for 4 years. Did yall not see what he did to Texas in a one dimensional offense where everyone in the stadium knew he was getting the ball. And yes besides UT and OU he will start for EVERY team in the Big 12 next year.

Reactions: mikesarabia
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT