ADVERTISEMENT

Signs of a Quality Coach

Mar 7, 2013
Always thought 3 things defined a quality coach in any sport........
Improve- get better as the season progresses and finish the season strong
Close games- win a higher percentage of close games than you lose
Road Wins- win games on the road

I think I really bought into Coach Golding with the win a UNM. I see promise in this program once again and if he can continue this trajectory we may become more relevant as a program.

Always thought 3 things defined a quality coach in any sport........
Improve- get better as the season progresses and finish the season strong
Close games- win a higher percentage of close games than you lose
Road Wins- win games on the road

I think I really bought into Coach Golding with the win a UNM. I see promise in this program once again and if he can continue this trajectory we may become more relevant as a program.

Big 12 here we come!

Ok, just kidding but I agree with you. Joe Golding has the program going in the right direction in year ONE. Let's hope he can keep building this program back into respectability and relevance.

It’s hard not to recognize how much CJG invests himself into his programs. He is so totally absorbed during games. His intensity level is palpable. You can see the wheels spinning. It’s even evident when he is at a loss as to what to do when things are not clicking. There’s a transparency without even trying to be transparent. I really think he can sell this program and I imagine he’ll find a couple gems for next year. I just hope one of those gems is about 6’11”-7’, 245-250 ish with some skill and a soft touch around the rim.

I think Golding is a totally legit coach. I am happy that he replaced Terry. My only question is whether or not the guy can recruit. Say what you will about Terry, he could recruit. I think most coaches can either recruit or coach - the rare gems are the ones who can do both…or assemble the staffs to do so.

If this team had a go to big man, it would be competitive in almost every game played this season.

Recruiting is a moot point if you can't leverage it into a team. No doubt Terry had talent and knew how to get it, but his teams always lacked something to me, they just didn't mesh. Golding has basically the same players that Terry had and they just look more competitive, more focused and appear to work as a team. It's still early but from my point of view, Golding is a great fit here and I expect he is going to meet or exceed expectations. I have the same kinda feeling I had when Gillispe came here. During his first year he had nothing, but watching them hustle and scrap you knew with few players or two they were going to be a tough out. Golding has more talent on this team, but you kinda can see where this team is headed as well.

Recruiting is a moot point if you can't leverage it into a team. No doubt Terry had talent and knew how to get it, but his teams always lacked something to me, they just didn't mesh. Golding has basically the same players that Terry had and they just look more competitive, more focused and appear to work as a team. It's still early but from my point of view, Golding is a great fit here and I expect he is going to meet or exceed expectations. I have the same kinda feeling I had when Gillispe came here. During his first year he had nothing, but watching them hustle and scrap you knew with few players or two they were going to be a tough out. Golding has more talent on this team, but you kinda can see where this team is headed as well.
I agree. Watching a CRT team was like watching a pick up game with 5 random guys who’d never played together before. It was five individuals. Good individuals, but like you said, they never meshed.

Also, as you alluded to, this team is basically the same team CRT coached, minus BW, the central piece if you could call him that. CJG’s team is better…even without Bryson.

I agree. Watching a CRT team was like watching a pick up game with 5 random guys who’d never played together before. It was five individuals. Good individuals, but like you said, they never meshed.

Also, as you alluded to, this team is basically the same team CRT coached, minus BW, the central piece if you could call him that. CJG’s team is better…even without Bryson.
Damn imagine with BW? Sheesh

I agree as well. The CJG coached team is night and day from CRT. The thing that I would add is that the guys Terry brought in like Bieniemy, Boum, and Verhoeven have developed into much better players than their Terry years. They all are now very experienced guys who have been in alot of wars, and they have all improved their game in the off season. There is a huge difference playing 19 year olds versus 22 year olds. The experience factor has been huge for many mid majors, and the number of teams in the big tourney this year will hopefully reflect that.

I think Golding is a totally legit coach. I am happy that he replaced Terry. My only question is whether or not the guy can recruit. Say what you will about Terry, he could recruit. I think most coaches can either recruit or coach - the rare gems are the ones who can do both…or assemble the staffs to do so.

If this team had a go to big man, it would be competitive in almost every game played this season.
True. Even worse though is that Terry would over recruit so he could supposedly win faster. He never wanted to build. He lost quite a few good players.

So what does everybody think of Golding now? So much for building relationships and recruiting. I have really lost my patience with UTEP athletics.

I really wonder if this was Goldings plan the whole time or if everything is just blowing up in his face. I'm not interested in waiting years for a coach that can't recruit to 'build' a team for a shitty conference just to watch our best players leave every year. Just my 2 cents.

So what does everybody think of Golding now? So much for building relationships and recruiting. I have really lost my patience with UTEP athletics.

I really wonder if this was Goldings plan the whole time or if everything is just blowing up in his face. I'm not interested in waiting years for a coach that can't recruit to 'build' a team for a shitty conference just to watch our best players leave every year. Just my 2 cents.
One of the main reasons why I thought he would jump to SMU if offered. There's too much uncertainty in college athletics. Take the money and don't look back.

If a significant amount of players enter the portal next year by this time, I will pass judgement on CJG as someone who places coach/player relationship as a non-priority. Until then, I'm still going to withhold judgment. Market dynamics are too much into play right now.

GO MINERS!

If a significant amount of players enter the portal next year by this time, I will pass judgement on CJG as someone who places coach/player relationship as a non-priority. Until then, I'm still going to withhold judgment. Market dynamics are too much into play right now.

GO MINERS!
I'm in about the same boat. I was good with giving Golding 3-4 years to get us into the tourney...with evident improvement from year to year. Next year may be a wash. Despite the setback with a mass exodus, the clock is still ticking. One of those years is now gonzo. Still hopeful, though.

Still supporting him. Have more trust in him than I do Baker, but less trust than in him than I do Wallis/Dimel. I don’t think it’s reflective of UTEP so much as college athletics as a whole. Kids want playing time and don’t want to sit and develop when they know they can be a starter somewhere else.

Still supporting him. Have more trust in him than I do Baker, but less trust than in him than I do Wallis/Dimel. I don’t think it’s reflective of UTEP so much as college athletics as a whole. Kids want playing time and don’t want to sit and develop when they know they can be a starter somewhere else.

I'm in about the same boat. I was good with giving Golding 3-4 years to get us into the tourney...with evident improvement from year to year. Next year may be a wash. Despite the setback with a mass exodus, the clock is still ticking. One of those years is now gonzo. Still hopeful, though.
Yep. I think most of us saw the mass exodus coming, it just took longer than expected for Kennedy. From what I heard, Evans isn't a significant loss. Golding showed that he is a good motivator. His coaching, while significantly better than Terry, is still a bit of a question mark for me. However, the biggest thing is whether he is able to recruit enough good players to turn things around quickly. The model he used at ACU with developing under recruited players for 3-4 years is long gone. He needs to hit on a minimum of 4 new guys this recruiting period just to give us a chance next year. That is a pretty tall order. Again, we could really use some good news in the recruiting trail.

Yep. I think most of us saw the mass exodus coming, it just took longer than expected for Kennedy. From what I heard, Evans isn't a significant loss. Golding showed that he is a good motivator. His coaching, while significantly better than Terry, is still a bit of a question mark for me. However, the biggest thing is whether he is able to recruit enough good players to turn things around quickly. The model he used at ACU with developing under recruited players for 3-4 years is long gone. He needs to hit on a minimum of 4 new guys this recruiting period just to give us a chance next year. That is a pretty tall order. Again, we could really use some good news in the recruiting trail.
Well Said. I was sold on his motivation and building relationships, but that seems to be out the window now. His coaching is decent, but needs work. Outside of Sibley, the recruiting has been really bad so far.

Just look what Andy Kennedy is doing at UAB. Unless you are outcoaching everybody in your league, then recruiting comes 1st. We needed somebody that can recruit and then coach in that order.

We don't have a choice now but to wait and see what happens with Golding, but as far as I'm concerned his 1 year is up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT