ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Miss @ UTEP Game Thread

While his career record is .500ish, that has a lot to do with his first seasons at UTEP and Fresno. I don’t think he is a .500 coach. He made the CBI finals, NCAAs, and NIT. Floyd didn’t do any of that.

I am not happy with the way this season has gone so far, but let’s see how the rest of this season goes. The pressure will really be on him next year, especially if he has some departures.
He hasn’t done anything of that here. Why don’t we bring up Floyd’s record at USC and Iowa St?

I take no pity in his first season here. He purposely built the team for year 2/3 with his recruiting. Still a coach in his 9th year sitting under .500 against D1 can’t be pinpointed to one or two bad seasons. He is what he is. Even his best team at Fresno should have been better than it was. Check out some of their losses that year. It’s enough to make any fan pull out their hair.

I’m certain we’re either winning the ship or going to the cbi.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Mentions made above of Tarke and Verhouven not playing. If you sneezed you missed Teiches' mention of Tarke not practicing all week. Why does the media or UTEP not keep us aware of injured players, so we aren't watching and wondering why? And once again; Stroud makes a "Sports Center Top 10" play and we only see him for three minutes! A real head shaker. He makes Randy Culpepper type plays and if given more minutes would be the crowd pleaser that brings fans to the game. ??????

He hasn’t done anything of that here. Why don’t we bring up Floyd’s record at USC and Iowa St?

I take no pity in his first season here. He purposely built the team for year 2/3 with his recruiting. Still a coach in his 9th year sitting under .500 against D1 can’t be pinpointed to one or two bad seasons. He is what he is. Even his best team at Fresno should have been better than it was. Check out some of their losses that year. It’s enough to make any fan pull out their hair.

I’m certain we’re either winning the ship or going to the cbi.
Corona year 2 was expected to be a vast improvement, but not the NCAA Caliber team yet. However we got spoiled by early wins and set our expectations too high. While they have under achieved and regressed of late, remember they are also 5 close losses away from being 15-2. Saying that, you can give more of a an opinion on what he's done at UTEP starting at the end of this year and how next year turns out. If he doesn't at least produce 20 wins this year and an NCAA team next year then you may prove right. It's too early though to cast judgment though on his tenure here.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Tarke went up for that breakaway dunk against FAU and tweaked his leg/ankle when he came down. Didn’t seem like a knee injury, but more of a high ankle sprain or something like that. He came back in that game but I’m sure that just aggravated the injury. Hope it’s not a high ankle sprain. Those are bitches and take a while to recover from.

Corona year 2 was expected to be a vast improvement, but not the NCAA Caliber team yet. However we got spoiled by early wins and set our expectations too high. While they have under achieved and regressed of late, remember they are also 5 close losses away from being 15-2. Saying that, you can give more of a an opinion on what he's done at UTEP starting at the end of this year and how next year turns out. If he doesn't at least produce 20 wins this year and an NCAA team next year then you may prove right. It's too early though to cast judgment though on his tenure here.

Why? Because his opinion differs from yours? Heed your own advise then and don’t give your opinion either if you’re going to suggest that. jcorona isn’t being negative. He’s taking the available data (past records, current records, eye test improvements or lack thereof, team strife) and stating an informed opinion. I think it’s funny when you post things like “Here is the ‘correct’ perspective from which to view things...”. I don’t have to keep a track record to know you’ve whiffed majorly on some of your prognostications and opinions. Which to me is no big deal cuz I have some swing and misses as well, as does most everyone on here who chimes in. Just a little friendly reminder. Everyone has a right to state their opinions/predictions on here...popular or not.

Ok but the only thing that has improved is the record. Without Williams this team would be on par with last year. Our three freshman from last season have regressed.

Tell me one area this team has improved in?

I’m aware we are five points or whatever from being 20-0. The point is we aren’t, we are 7-6 vs D1. At least three of those losses are directly on the coaching staff.

Ok but the only thing that has improved is the record. Without Williams this team would be on par with last year. Our three freshman from last season have regressed.

I’m aware we are five points or whatever from being 20-0. The point is we aren’t, we are 7-6 vs D1. At least three of those losses are directly on the coaching staff.
This year, the issues on the offensive end are immense, and while I do think coaching is also an issue, the roster skills or lack thereof is the biggest problem. The poor shooting is not going to be fixed with this group of guys in my opinion. The only player who I think has a possibility of growth is Boum. At this point, I see him as the guy who left his "shooting" in San Francisco. I think the turnovers can be improved moving forward, I just don't see the shooting improving much. You either can shoot it, or you can't.

As you stated; 5 close looses away from being 15-2(do you mean 15-1?). That's exactly the point! A better coached and played team might be 15-1; instead of suffering all those losses and thus 10-6

Why? Because his opinion differs from yours? Heed your own advise then and don’t give your opinion either if you’re going to suggest that. jcorona isn’t being negative. He’s taking the available data (past records, current records, eye test improvements or lack thereof, team strife) and stating an informed opinion. I think it’s funny when you post things like “Here is the ‘correct’ perspective from which to view things...”. I don’t have to keep a track record to know you’ve whiffed majorly on some of your prognostications and opinions. Which to me is no big deal cuz I have some swing and misses as well, as does most everyone on here who chimes in. Just a little friendly reminder. Everyone has a right to state their opinions/predictions on here...popular or not.
Bruh, what are you talking about? Re read what I put! No one said he can't have an opinion. I simply gave my opinion and said we have to wait for a larger sample size from Terry. This is an open forum for all opinions to be shared and debated. Also comprehensive understanding on what's being posted needs to be implemented sometimes. Your response, shows you in this particular situation did not use that understanding.

Does anyone know if Lathon has a girlfriend and if she’s pregnant?

I also said they have regressed. I agree wholeheartedly they haven't done as well as we would've hoped. I'm simply saying they haven't been far off from having a much better record and let's see how this year ends up. I fully expected 20+ wins and that's sketchy right now. Next year if the team stays in place Terry definitely should have them in position to complete for a Conference Championship and this year needs to show he's on that road. It's just too early to say that Terry is failing yet.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I also said they have regressed. I agree wholeheartedly they haven't done as well as we would've hoped. I'm simply saying they haven't been far off from having a much better record and let's see how this year ends up. I fully expected 20+ wins and that's sketchy right now. Next year if the team stays in place Terry definitely should have them in position to complete for a Conference Championship and this year needs to show he's on that road. It's just too early to say that Terry is failing yet.

So you agree they’ve regressed then that goes contrary to your statement that year two would be vastly improved.

I’ve never claimed he’s failing. I’ve stated he’s a mediocre coach. He’s done it for the last seven years at Fresno St and he’s starting the same way here.

One thing I have noticed is the coaching changes to both the men’s and women’s team this year. The women’s team got the addition of a very seasoned assistant/former UH head coach which happened to be a former finalist for coach of the year to their bench and the men’s team lost a former head coach who was considered an up and coming coach. Now let’s look at how both teams are playing. Kinda interesting.

This is what I think and it probably means very little... utep has a lot of talent.. you can see it! Our players are strong, fast, can play above the rim ( some). Utep however is lacking in skill... lathon hawkins villa boum Archie, stroud tarke and verhouven can’t shoot.... Edwards, Archie, can’t handle the ball.... so are these results really that surprising when you have those type of deficiencies on the offensive end?

This is what I think and it probably means very little... utep has a lot of talent.. you can see it! Our players are strong, fast, can play above the rim ( some). Utep however is lacking in skill... lathon hawkins villa boum Archie, stroud tarke and verhouven can’t shoot.... Edwards, Archie, can’t handle the ball.... so are these results really that surprising when you have those type of deficiencies on the offensive end?
I would say they are an athletic group, just a different choice of words. That athleticism has resulted in better overall defense, but like you mentioned, on the other side of the ball, they are poor shooters and ball handlers at nearly every position.

Yes, Stoud had a big time dunk he also shot and air-ball and let his man get to the basket 2x. I love his potential and he has fantastic athletic abilities, but he is not ready for prime-time and giving him 2-3 min at a time is about right for now.
I think several people have posted their awareness of Stroud's shortcomings on defense, ball handling and decision making. IMO, 3 minutes a game isn't providing the necessary in game experience to overcome the deficiencies. When his court time is so limited, I'm sure he's overanxious to perform special feats in those few minutes and becomes error prone. He needs more PT.

So you agree they’ve regressed then that goes contrary to your statement that year two would be vastly improved.

I’ve never claimed he’s failing. I’ve stated he’s a mediocre coach. He’s done it for the last seven years at Fresno St and he’s starting the same way here.
Not regressed from last year bro lol. Regressed from earlier in the year. Still much improved from a year ago obviously.

Not regressed from last year bro lol. Regressed from earlier in the year. Still much improved from a year ago obviously.
Fair enough. I guess I’ve been watching a different team than you have. Have a great weekend bro and hopefully tomorrow UTEP is at .500 in conference.

I would say they are an athletic group, just a different choice of words. That athleticism has resulted in better overall defense, but like you mentioned, on the other side of the ball, they are poor shooters and ball handlers at nearly every position.

This. Very athletic. Not great basketball players. Not especially high bb IQs, it seems. Ceilings are not as high as has been stated.

What the Hell on Terry's resume that he's done showed he was a worse hire than Dimel? Please back up that ignorant statement that has no basis and is purely based on your empty reasonless opinion?
Bitch please! What has Terry done that shows hes a better hire than Dimel in your dumbass opinion? Basketball can turn around with 2 good players. Football takes damn near a whole roster. Kugler left us with SHIT. You don't know your ass from a hole in the ground. Terry brought us some kids with talent. He has sucked as a game coach. Prove me wrong....
Give Dimel next year before throwing dirt on him....

BTW Nathan... how bout paying back the loan from 4 years ago......yeah...shut up...

Bitch please! What has Terry done that shows hes a better hire than Dimel in your dumbass opinion? Basketball can turn around with 2 good players. Football takes damn near a whole roster. Kugler left us with SHIT. You don't know your ass from a hole in the ground. Terry brought us some kids with talent. He has sucked as a game coach. Prove me wrong....

BTW Nathan... how bout paying back the loan from 4 years ago......yeah...shut up...
Wow.

Futhermore, I dump THOUSANDS into this program and go to EVERY game....anyone want to question my loyalty or perspective, lets sit and have a beer on cincy....I'm down. Call me out here? bush league...

Reactions: JCorona
These guys should run and attack the basket every opportunity they get. That's what this team seems to be built for. Better than average free-throw shooting team, athletic and really bad 3 point shooting team. Stands to reason one should play to his strengths.

The funny thing is I've heard CRT at least twice mention that it's what he wants and continues to tell his players to push it up the court yet they don't seem to do it. Although I admit that last night I did see a little more of that from Hawkins, Archie, and Boum. I would think young kids would love to have the green light from your coach to play a fast break type of offense?

Maybe they exert so much energy on the defensive end that they cant? But if they can manage that type of offense( they seem to have the horses for it) they can change those close losses into wins.

LOL How much was the loan? I thought this guy was a famous comedian?

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
This escalated quickly!

I love it when someone stops being pc and says how they really feel.
It's one thing to tell me I'm stupid for saying football will win 7 games....(I KNOW i am).....but saying my opinion is ignorant when you make dumb comments daily? I mean really....I say dumb shit all the time. The ONLY folks I will attack on here are the troll brothers...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT