ADVERTISEMENT

Stull's disturbing KROD Interview today

alum95and98

Rookie
Feb 18, 2013
Did anyone else catch his interview (more like a monologue the way he talked) w Kappy. Kap asked a great question mentioning how many regular fans now are losing interest. Still seemed to dismiss those folks as radio listeners and not attending games. Like they are not real fans. Well I have been a fan since the early 80s and attended games religiously over that time like many of you. It struck me that he actually seemed satisfied with attendance and the state of the program. So full of excuses. It was painful hearing him. I didn't hear him lay out any meaningful plan for the future. No standard of excellence. The program is in a state of malaise and he is in charge. He is responsible.
In down years I usually had basketball to sustain me or when Bball was down football would keep me going. But never before have I felt this down and disinterested in UTEP and I hate this feeling. It doesn't seem that UTEP's leadership cares enough and that has rubbed off on me for the first time I can remember. If a rabid fan like me feels that way I can only imagine how the state of the program effects the casual fan. It's time for a major shakeup in UTEP sports and that should start at the top.

I think attendance at tomorrow's MBB game will be terrible. For one thing, there are lots of holiday parties that will keep the olds away. I could list more reasons, but what's the point?

Reactions: UTEP05
Stull, I've religiously attended men's bball and football for 4 decades and I've regularly travelled to support the teams. I've spent significantly on team apparrel and I've donated.

I'm done with pretty much done with UTEP sports until you're gone. I don't support complacency and low expectations.

P.S., Kugler has one more year to post a winning record. If he doesn't, then I'm done with football too. I'm a die hard fan, and I'm close to death.

If I feel this way, I wonder how Joe Blow fan feels about UTEP athletics.

THIS DISASTROUS MESS LED BY STULL IS ON YOU NATALICIO. Why you would let Stull dictate and diminish a big part of your legacy is beyond me. I can understand Stull being totally disconnected to the fan base in big part because he lacks any emotional intelligence but you have always had a reputation as a tough smart manager so letting Stull run around without impunity is baffling.

Random things AD Stull said.

-In 2016, the 7 home games doubled the revenue than the 5 games in 2015.
-Marketing and promotions are last element in regards to ticket sales.
-Currently in the 3rd level of a 5 year strategic plan in renovating the Sun Bowl (his words).

Stull seemed to dismiss those folks as radio listeners and not attending games.

No sh*t a lot don't attend games.... because the product he's personally responsible is garbage. It really irks me because so many fans are tired of suffering through the mediocrity and Stull seems to be patting himself on the back. 4 wins Stull, congratulations...

Last edited:
Reactions: develman
I'm with you guys pretty much, but honestly, does everybody expect Stull to go on the air and threaten a coaches job on the air or sound the panic button? He does paint a too rosey picture, and I wish he'd at least acknowledge concern about the dwindling attendance and the state of the athletic program could use improvement, but really, I don't expect to hear any public criticism of the program or himself. Stull has NEVER been one to air any laundry, why expect him to start now? Not gonna happen.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Excuses, excuses, excuses! In addition to all the great points mentioned already, is Stull so naive as to think 20 win seasons from the Floyd era are equal to 20 win seasons from the Haskins era? Back in the 70s, 80s and early 90s, 30 games played in a season was the standard. It's a little easier to squeak out 20 Ws nowadays when you play 35+ games in a season. Also, 10 of those 20 wins Floyd averages should be a damn given when you play FIU, FAU, UTSA, North Texas and Rice twice each. Add in our typical cupcake pre-conference schedule and 24 should be our minimum. How many times have we reached that? Stull is either a dumbass himself, or thinks the fan base is full of dumbasses. Personally, I think it's a bit of both.

Kappy asked a great question about the Student-Athlete community service and why it isn't highlighted. Tio Bob talks about EPs scarce media and their availability. Homie, this is what social media is for! The UTEP athletics social media account posts screen shots of statistics! Bad cropping and everything.
I'd rather see horribly cropped pictures of Kugs and Floyd doing community work in Segundo.

Yep, he's just going through the motions. Doesn't know the difference between marketing and promotion or at least the relation of one to the other. I'm not sure if he really believes what he says or if he believes that we're buying all the bs he's spewing. I turned it off after the discussion about marketing due to the disgust I felt. Not interested in anything he has to say. I guess letters to the Times editor need to be written so that someone at UTEP will understand the fans frustration. I agree that there is absolutely no plan for the future.

Kappy asked a great question about the Student-Athlete community service and why it isn't highlighted. Tio Bob talks about EPs scarce media and their availability. Homie, this is what social media is for! The UTEP athletics social media account posts screen shots of statistics! Bad cropping and everything.
I'd rather see horribly cropped pictures of Kugs and Floyd doing community work in Segundo.

The Chihuahuas have videos after every game and recaps of the game- all 72 home games and recap all the road games. There are less than 10 football games and around 20 home men's basketball game per season.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I'm with you guys pretty much, but honestly, does everybody expect Stull to go on the air and threaten a coaches job on the air or sound the panic button? He does paint a too rosey picture, and I wish he'd at least acknowledge concern about the dwindling attendance and the state of the athletic program could use improvement, but really, I don't expect to hear any public criticism of the program or himself. Stull has NEVER been one to air any laundry, why expect him to start now? Not gonna happen.

I agree. You don't go to an Amway convention to discuss if the product makes you break out with a skin rash, you need to tell the buyer the positives. You privately tell the bosses our product stinks currently and now overhead is upside down because the product is no less better than motor oil.

BTW, is anyone watching the CUSA title game and noticed that crowd at WKU? Wow... mother of pearl if Kugler (and Price, too) just put a decent product on the field and won the CUSA west and the championship came to the Sun Bowl? The place would be packed and the Kug would be drinking his beer until Wednesday. Oh well...

I agree. You don't go to an Amway convention to discuss if the product makes you break out with a skin rash, you need to tell the buyer the positives. You privately tell the bosses our product stinks currently and now overhead is upside down because the product is no less better than motor oil.

BTW, is anyone watching the CUSA title game and noticed that crowd at WKU? Wow... mother of pearl if Kugler (and Price, too) just put a decent product on the field and won the CUSA west and the championship came to the Sun Bowl? The place would be packed and the Kug would be drinking his beer until Wednesday. Oh well...
13,213 official attendance for the Back to Back CUSA champions. We would have to go 0-11 to have such a small crowd on senior day. If we were playing for a championship easily over 45k.

13,213 official attendance for the Back to Back CUSA champions. We would have to go 0-11 to have such a small crowd on senior day. If we were playing for a championship easily over 45k.

All of their other games they had higher attendance figures- it was probably the early start time.

Whatever excuse they want to use it's pathetic fan support. They averaged around 17k for a school that has won 22 games made two bowl games and won two conference championships the last two years. In that same time period we won only nine games and still averaged close to 23k this season.

Whatever excuse they want to use it's pathetic fan support. They averaged around 17k for a school that has won 22 games made two bowl games and won two conference championships the last two years. In that same time period we won only nine games and still averaged close to 23k this season.

You have to keep in mind that Bowling Green is not in a highly populated area.

All of their other games they had higher attendance figures- it was probably the early start time.

You are reaching trying to make an excuse. It was a championship game and attendance dipped.

El Paso sold 12K tickets at $20 a pop for a WNIT game in under 20 hours.

13K for football with students still in school is a disaster of epic proportions.

Reactions: Cube Jack
You are reaching trying to make an excuse. It was a championship game and attendance dipped.

El Paso sold 12K tickets at $20 a pop for a WNIT game in under 20 hours.

13K for football with students still in school is a disaster of epic proportions.

Bowling Green's population is about 1/3 of Las Cruces's. I am not making any excuses for anybody, just stating that population sometimes correlates with attendance figures. Like I said, maybe the start time had something to do with it and maybe ticket prices were higher and maybe students had to pay for their tickets.

It's not fair to compare El Paso to Bowling Green.

Bowling Green's population is about 1/3 of Las Cruces's. I am not making any excuses for anybody, just stating that population sometimes correlates with attendance figures. Like I said, maybe the start time had something to do with it and maybe ticket prices were higher and maybe students had to pay for their tickets.

It's not fair to compare El Paso to Bowling Green.

Population has nothing to do with it. It was a championship game on a Saturday. There are a whole lot of 'maybe's' in your reply.

Maybe, if you don't know for sure, you should not comment. This board run too smoothly for you to bog it down with your maybe nonsense.

Short of absolutely horrendous weather, there is no excuse for a school hosting a championship game to draw 5k less than their year average. None.

Reactions: develman
Population has nothing to do with it. It was a championship game on a Saturday. There are a whole lot of 'maybe's' in your reply.

Maybe, if you don't know for sure, you should not comment. This board run too smoothly for you to bog it down with your maybe nonsense.

Of course population has a lot to do with attendance. Bowling's Green's population is less than 40,000. It's obvious they aren't going to be drawing 40,000 for their games.

Most comments on message boards are "maybe" or "if" comments. I wonder why you replied to me since I post nonsense. I would figure you wouldn't respond so you wouldn't "bog down" the boards.

Bowling's Green's population is less than 40,000

It's actually closer to 65,000 with a metro population of 163,000. If you add Glasgow it brings it over 218,000.

We are not saying to draw 40,000 but at least sell out the stadium wait never mind at least draw the season average. Why do you not accept bs mediocrity from UTEP athletics but defend it from the conference champs?

Bowling Green's population is about 1/3 of Las Cruces's. I am not making any excuses for anybody, just stating that population sometimes correlates with attendance figures.

Wrong.

Western Kentucky is in Bowling Green, KENTUCKY. You are off by a good amount. The county Bowling Green is in has a population of over 100k people.

Reactions: allminer
It's actually closer to 65,000 with a metro population of 163,000. If you add Glasgow it brings it over 218,000.

We are not saying to draw 40,000 but at least sell out the stadium wait never mind at least draw the season average. Why do you not accept bs mediocrity from UTEP athletics but defend it from the conference champs?

You're right, it is about 65,000. You still can't compare that to El Paso.

I don't it accept it because I know UTEP can do better. Last year, for 72 games, the average attendance for the Chihuahuas was around 8,000. If the Chihuahuas can do it, so can UTEP. NMSU has promotions and/or giveaways for every game. I don't understand why UTEP doesn't do anything.

Of course population has a lot to do with attendance. Bowling's Green's population is less than 40,000. It's obvious they aren't going to be drawing 40,000 for their games.

Most comments on message boards are "maybe" or "if" comments. I wonder why you replied to me since I post nonsense. I would figure you wouldn't respond so you wouldn't "bog down" the boards.
Not true, small owns across the country draw Big to College football. Alabama is in a small town, but they have tradition. W.Kentucky doesn't have tradition yet at the D1 level

SMU in Dallas has double maybe triple the population of El Paso and they average around the same 23-25k for football.

Not true, small owns across the country draw Big to College football. Alabama is in a small town, but they have tradition. W.Kentucky doesn't have tradition yet at the D1 level

That wasn't my point. It's obvious that Michigan, Alabama, etc. are going to draw fans. I stated before: "just stating that population SOMETIMES correlates with attendance figures."

SMU in Dallas has double maybe triple the population of El Paso and they average around the same 23-25k for football.

There are a lot of variables (just likes with cities with less than 100k population). If you live 45 minutes to an hour away from campus the casual fan will probably not attend the games and will probably attend an event closer. Plus, there are many Universities around Dallas.

This is why El Paso has a major advantage. We live in a city with a population of around 700,000 and it's fairly easy to get around the city. Plus, you can't beat the great weather.

As for Still, isn't the last year of his contract like Kuglers? Maybe he's planning on retiring and just doesn't care.

For a poster who chastises others for not using google, how hard was it for the mutt to check that the population of Warren County is indeed easily over 100k? The whole county and neighboring Glasgow is barely the size of El Paso. So well over 200k have a drive that would equal a drive from maybe Tornillo to the Sun Bowl. Hardly difficult. Hey, but WKU has got a Homer in El Paso.

Last edited:
For a poster who chastises others for not using google, how hard was it for the mutt to check that the population of Warren County is indeed easily over 100k? The whole county and neighboring Glasgow is barely the size of El Paso. So well over 200k have a drive that would equal a drive from maybe Tornillo to the Sun Bowl. Hardly difficult. Hey, but WKU has got a Homer in El Paso.

The population of Bowling Green, KY is around 60,000. Not sure what there is to debate.
JCorona corrected me above and stated the correct population. Not sure what you're still debating.

So well over 200k have a drive that would equal a drive from maybe Tornillo to the Sun Bowl. Hardly difficult.

That's a 45 minute to an hour drive. Why would somebody who is not associated with the University or a football fan drive close to 2 hours round trip to see a football game? Most people who attend games at UTEP get there between 10-30 minutes. Huge difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT