ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl Invitational teams

You got that right. I can't stand the westside right now. It's gotta be affecting attendance.
Actually it was terrible last year, too. Then it was Sunland Park. After the games I have to drive 100 miles to get home and I want to get the hell out of EP. Construction has been a nightmare and when I try to improvise a route it always kicks me in the butt.

You drove 100 miles to get home from the DHC. Do you live in New Mexico?

As this thread is about the Sun Bowl Invitational, that Georgetown game and the Sun Bowl Invitational created what I consider the three best consecutive days of UTEP Basketball that I was personally privileged to witness. After beating Georgetown on December 27, we played Ohio State in the first round of the tournament the next day, the 28th. After beating the Buckeyes we played Alabama in the championship game. The Crimson Tide were ranked in the AP poll for some of that season. Despite falling behind by about 20 in the first half, we went on to win that game going away, 74-62. That Alabama game was notable for the fact that Juden Smith and Alabama's star player, Buck Johnson, were ejected for fighting. UTEP, Alabama, and Ohio State all made the NCAA Tournament that year. The other team in the Sun Bowl Invitational field that year, Nebraska, played in the NIT.

Three wins over outstanding teams in consecutive days. I've seen a lot of great Miner moments from the stands since then, but those three days remain my favorite.
I remember that Georgetown game and the tournament. Agree, that was an awesome time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT