ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl Invitational teams

And UTEP doesn't benefit financially, which is more important to me. Fans can come and stay downtown, then travel the trolley to UTEP for the games. Win/win.
BTW what "fans" travel for these tournaments around the holidays? Diddly..."we" are the fans we are trying to draw.

Because these teams already play each other pretty much every year. Might as well just make it a tournament. These team are close to each other and it would be cool. And for honeyjohnboy 100. Nobody cares what you think.
I doubt NMSU's AD would think it is cool that there is a high possibility that they might not play UNM at home for at least 4 years. The UNM game is NMSU's highest attended game during the season. Same goes for Senter and UNM's AD. Texas Tech will have zero interest in having to go on the road 3 years in a row to play in a tournament with UNM, UTEP, and NMSU.

Reactions: John 100
How many fans of Norfolk St, ETSU, and Wyoming will be here this weekend, combined? Maybe 100 if we’re lucky. You’re telling me if it were Downtown, that number would be higher?

What industry do you work in?

What industry do you work in?

Ah, the good ole, no answer question - by trying to deflect with another question move. What I do for a living is irrelevant to my question. The games I’ve been to, the pictures and videos I see of the games, tell me that SBI attendance is slim by the traveling teams. This year will be no different and will continue if played at an arena that isn’t even close to being built.

Ah, the good ole, no answer question - by trying to deflect with another question move. What I do for a living is irrelevant to my question. The games I’ve been to, the pictures and videos I see of the games, tell me that SBI attendance is slim by the traveling teams. This year will be no different and will continue if played at an arena that isn’t even close to being built.

It’s not irrelevant. Imagine if your job was to recruit businesses and jobs to EP. You would be looking for assets to market. This tourney could be one.

It’s not irrelevant. Imagine if your job was to recruit businesses and jobs to EP. You would be looking for assets to market. This tourney could be one.

Could is a broad term. How many visiting fans have you seen at previous tournaments and how many do you expect for this years tournament?

This tournament barely brings any non-UTEP or El Pasoans to the tournament. Moving it Downtown would not compel anyone to make plans to come down to El Paso during the Christmas season

I’m honestly wondering if UTEP actually loses money having this tournament. This is all based on assumptions but if we pay Norfolk St 30k, ETSU and Wyoming around 40k - 50k each that’s 120k to get the teams here. Plus whatever it costs to turn on the lights and all the other required expenses involved in running a small tournament. With the attendance totaling around 9k for both days one has to question the final numbers. Would it be better to A. Buy one good opponent the fans want to see or B. Go on the road to a tough basketball environment and get paid.

If the quality of the Miner basketball product ever gets anywhere close to what it used to be, the discussion of Sun Carnival opponent's quality will improve.

Nah, teams will always play in an exempt tournament. They get 4 games and it counts as 1, whereas the Sun Bowl they play 2 games and it counts as 2 games. It's why the Great Alaska Shootout is gone.

The El Paso Times stated that there were about 2,500 fans at the game on Sunday. It's going to be a ghost town at the DHC this weekend because very few tickets have been sold.

Reactions: HoneyBoy95
Crowds will be better for this weekend’s Miners games than Sunday’s. School is out and there’s no Cowboys conflict.

Crowds will be better for this weekend’s Miners games than Sunday’s. School is out and there’s no Cowboys conflict.

I doubt it. Most people aren't going to pay $22 for a 2 day ticket. Especially with this being the weekend before Christmas, most people are going to be shopping and spending money elsewhere.

Reactions: HoneyBoy95
Funny how people are complaining about he quality of teams in the basketball tournament but not about the trash that will be playing in the Sun Bowl.

Well, it’s not on utepathletics.
It's in the story about the tourney.
The UTEP Miners will open the 57thAnnual WestStar Bank Don Haskins Sun Bowl Invitational against Norfolk State on Friday at 7 p.m. in the Haskins Center.

Joining UTEP (4-5) and Norfolk State (4-8) in the tournament are Wyoming (3-7) and East Tennessee State (8-4), who will square off at 5 p.m. on Friday. The consolation game is on Saturday at 5, with the championship to follow at 7.

Reactions: unihorn
It's in the story about the tourney.
The UTEP Miners will open the 57thAnnual WestStar Bank Don Haskins Sun Bowl Invitational against Norfolk State on Friday at 7 p.m. in the Haskins Center.

Joining UTEP (4-5) and Norfolk State (4-8) in the tournament are Wyoming (3-7) and East Tennessee State (8-4), who will square off at 5 p.m. on Friday. The consolation game is on Saturday at 5, with the championship to follow at 7.

Gracias

Once fans start realizing that the Miners are actually getting better instead of leveling off (like Floyd's teams) they will start to show up. They have a couple of players worth rooting for. Odigie comes to mind. Lathon also. Go Miners.

I don't like going anywhere cause it takes 30 minutes to get from Doniphan to I-10 and I get road rage.
You got that right. I can't stand the westside right now. It's gotta be affecting attendance.
Actually it was terrible last year, too. Then it was Sunland Park. After the games I have to drive 100 miles to get home and I want to get the hell out of EP. Construction has been a nightmare and when I try to improvise a route it always kicks me in the butt.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT