ADVERTISEMENT

Terry on Sportstalk

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
I know Rodney Terry was gonna be on Sportstalk, it I'm gonna miss it. If anyone hears it, please relay what was said, thanks!

Reactions: Lil_Train
I caught parts of it. I was more interested in what he was going to say about recruiting and he basically said he can’t mention names but he has 9 scholarships available. Someone asked him about Prop 48 and he said it’s a great tool and may use it one day. Someone asked if he would wear an orange suit, he said if he can find one that fits.

Very general stuff, nothing specific. Asked about goals, he said every year its to compete for a Conference title.

Well I'm glad Gilyard, McGee, Osborne and PT are staying. For some reason I respect them more now for their decision. I will be rooting hard for these guys next year and I hope PT breaks out in a new system.

Well I'm glad Gilyard, McGee, Osborne and PT are staying. For some reason I respect them more now for their decision. I will be rooting hard for these guys next year and I hope PT breaks out in a new system.
Where did you see or hear that those four are staying?

Just assuming since Terry said he has 9 scholarships to hand out (knock on wood).
So we have 4 remaining on scholarship and 9 to give out, does that mean the 2 that signed last fall are part of the 9 and he can get 7 more or does it mean they are not coming and he will have 9 to give out?

Just assuming since Terry said he has 9 scholarships to hand out (knock on wood).
Exactly. Last week Terry mentioned he thought six guys would be returning; meaning 7 rides available. This week the number of slots is 9. Out of the four left, the key guy is Gilyard. We need more guys with his talent level to have a chance to turn it around.

There was a lot of coach speak. Steve asked him about his coaching staff which he replied that he has 3 staff members "already". Asked about current core he was not very confident in answering. His answer was "what day is this". Then he said Gilyard has been great and positive. He had good things to say about the current group still in the fold. Don't remember him mentioning Magee. Said all signees have be granted release free and clear. Said he is not in a hurry to fill the spots. Some kids get overrecruited during this period. He would like to keep a couple of scholies "in his back pocket" for late qualifiers etc. He said he would release signee info when he had it but would not hold a press conference until the end of signing period when he had a complete class. Steve mentioned our thread about it being eerily quiet which CRT danced around. He was cautiously optimistic about a couple of guys he felt "real good" about. I took it to mean they are high end players. It's obvious to me though that CRT is methodical and will take his time laying the ground work.

From listening to the interview, I got the feeling that CRT will probably only sign a few high school guys this year(maybe 3 or 4). That's just my guess. As JDUBB stated, he referred to a lot of the high school guys who are still left to sign, as being "over recruited at this time of year". He certainly appeared to give off a different philosophy of only wanting to sign guys that he really wants here, which is much different from the past Floyd era, where Floyd would sign a full class of guys(and even over-sign a class), with the thought that he would just later run off whichever players didn't work out a year later.

Coach Terry also twice mentioned bringing in a guy "who might have to sit out a year, but can really help our program". He mentioned that doing this also helps increases your practice competition level during the year that they sit out. It made me feel like he might have a person or two in mind for bringing in and sitting out next year.

Hmm interesting hire. Smith does have some recent baggage. Charges were dropped but why did he quit?

Just because you’re not guilty or not charged, doesn’t mean the boosters and administrators feel that way. Bad look for the university.

Just because you’re not guilty or not charged, doesn’t mean the boosters and administrators feel that way. Bad look for the university.
“After having numerous conversations with our administration and coach Smith, I came away convinced that he is the right person to help us build the type of basketball program that we want to build here at the University of Texas at El Paso," Terry said.

The administration has no problem with this hire.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
It seems to me like both of our new Coaches(Football and Basketball) put together pretty decent staff's to join them here.

Smith had an impressive turnaround going in San Diego, as they won only 9 games in his first year and got up to 20 wins just two years later. Smith also beat Colorado and NMSU this year, which is something that we have struggled with lately.

Smith also has a good coaching background prior to San Diego as well, including a lot of sucess with UNM(where his experience of recruiting to ABQ could be considered somewhat comparable to recruiting to EP). He has a lot of Texas ties and originates from here as well. This appears to be a good move.

“After having numerous conversations with our administration and coach Smith, I came away convinced that he is the right person to help us build the type of basketball program that we want to build here at the University of Texas at El Paso," Terry said.

The administration has no problem with this hire.

I wasn’t referring to UTEP, was referring to USD and why he chose to quit.

I wasn’t referring to UTEP, was referring to USD and why he chose to quit.
Ok I got a quote for that too.

Here’s why he quit.

"I felt it was important to take steps to insure that USD and the team be able to move forward without any distractions. I came back to USD to elevate the men's basketball program both on and off the court and with the help of my coaching staff and these outstanding student-athletes, there is no question that has taken place."

This is what the San Diego administration said about him.

University of San Diego athletic director Bill McGillis said: "I'm saddened for Lamont. Lamont loves the University of San Diego. He went here. He's one of ours and I am so saddened for him. ... He did a lot of very good things here. Lamont clearly, in three years, elevated our program and brought great kids here, brought very good athletes here, guys that are winners. We've gone from nine wins to 13 wins to 18 wins. So, he did a lot of very good things and I'm grateful for that."

The University of San Diego released this statement: "Tonight, Coach Lamont Smith resigned his position at the university. We appreciate Coach Smith's contributions to Torero athletics and to the men's basketball program since he joined us three years ago. Coach Smith elevated the level of competitiveness of our program, recruited an outstanding group of athletes and established a strong foundation for future success."

Quit trying to spin this into a negative.

Ok I got a quote for that too.

Here’s why he quit.

"I felt it was important to take steps to insure that USD and the team be able to move forward without any distractions. I came back to USD to elevate the men's basketball program both on and off the court and with the help of my coaching staff and these outstanding student-athletes, there is no question that has taken place."

This is what the San Diego administration said about him.

University of San Diego athletic director Bill McGillis said: "I'm saddened for Lamont. Lamont loves the University of San Diego. He went here. He's one of ours and I am so saddened for him. ... He did a lot of very good things here. Lamont clearly, in three years, elevated our program and brought great kids here, brought very good athletes here, guys that are winners. We've gone from nine wins to 13 wins to 18 wins. So, he did a lot of very good things and I'm grateful for that."

The University of San Diego released this statement: "Tonight, Coach Lamont Smith resigned his position at the university. We appreciate Coach Smith's contributions to Torero athletics and to the men's basketball program since he joined us three years ago. Coach Smith elevated the level of competitiveness of our program, recruited an outstanding group of athletes and established a strong foundation for future success."

Quit trying to spin this into a negative.

I like how nobody mentions or talks about his legal issues. What happened at the airport where he got charged?

I like how nobody mentions or talks about his legal issues. What happened at the airport where he got charged?
I got a quote for that as well.

Smith was arrested in Oakland after San Diego defeated San Francisco 64-61 in late February. According to police reports, officers were sent to the team hotel following the game. They talked to a woman who was not his wife who claimed she was assaulted by Smith.

Later, however, in an e-mail to USA TODAY sports, Alex Bastian, a spokesperson for the San Francisco District Attorney's Office, said, "As a result of the evidence obtained from the investigation, Mr. Smith will not be charged at this time."

The full story is on the El Paso Times.

Can you post an article where a coach that left was spoken about in a negative light?

I personally have no issue with the hiring. Was simply replying to as to why he left. USD isn’t going to drag his name through the mud.

Still love how we live in a World that people Judge you as guilty automatically if you're accused of anything. I've been accused of stuff I know wasn't true and my name was cleared. To say what he did or didn't isn't up to us, but charges were dropped Period!

Last edited:
Still love how we live in a World that people Judge you as guilty automatically if you're accused of anything. I've been accused of stuff I know wasn't true and my name was cleared. To say what he did or didn't isn't up to us, but charges were dropped Period!

Just because charges were dropped doesn't mean he isn't guilty. When Mike Price was hire had Bama he got fired just because he had strippers over in his hotel room and his case was dropped I think. Domanic Artis was let go at Oregon for what he did and some people here were mad about it even though charges were dropped. Even if he is not guilty its still in his record and its something he will have to talk about everywhere he goes. He will have to explain himself not to us but his bosses. He will have to explain himself when he goes to recruits house and the mother of the parent googles up his name and this domestic charge that was dropped shows up.

Just because charges were dropped doesn't mean he isn't guilty.
Haha really? Charges being dropped = not guilty. He was accused of something with no evidence to prove it. There will be no issues on the recruiting trail because he was not charged with anything. Pretty simple. He was arrested for a crime he didn’t commit.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdubb66
Wow, we have the blessing of Richie Schueler. This is great. When people think of college basketball experts, Richie Schueler is on the top of that list. Forget Dick Vitale and Jay Bilas, Richie says UTEP has put together a “heckuva staff”!!!!

Reactions: jdubb66
Wow, we have the blessing of Richie Schueler. This is great. When people think of college basketball experts, Richie Schueler is on the top of that list. Forget Dick Vitale and Jay Bilas, Richie says UTEP has put together a “heckuva staff”!!!!
High praise indeed from the dean of college basketball jr. analysts.

Just a question? If Utep and Terry do well over the next couple of years will you A. Shut your mouth B. Leave this Group C. Swallow your pride and give Terry Credit? Just a question?

I will give Terry credit when he does something. What has he done so far? How many games has he won?

I haven’t said anything bad about him, just don’t think some nobody giving his staff a thumbs up is substantial.

All I did was disagree with the way Lamont left USD. He didn’t voluntarily leave, he was forced to. I don’t have a problem with his hiring, just with the way people present it.

If NMSU hired Lamont or gave a rapist a scholarship, we would hear all about how crappy they are etc. However, when UTEP does it, totally fine.

If an ESPN analyst with 10 years of college coaching experience is a nobody what does that make shovelshit and his opinion?

Haha really? Charges being dropped = not guilty. He was accused of something with no evidence to prove it. There will be no issues on the recruiting trail because he was not charged with anything. Pretty simple. He was arrested for a crime he didn’t commit.

Charges being dropped = not guilty or school paid of accuser to drop charges you know how most colleges do.

But it doesn't matter UTEP is the 2nd chance school. Hopefully this works out for Terry.I hope later some video doesn't pop out on TMZ sports.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
If an ESPN analyst with 10 years of college coaching experience is a nobody what does that make shovelshit and his opinion?

Did I say he has wrong or that I disagreed? No. I was pointing out that he is not famous. I do not know who he is and he doesn’t have a Wikipedia page. Where does his 10 years of experience come from? You must be familiar with his work.

Did I say he has wrong or that I disagreed? No. I was pointing out that he is not famous. I do not know who he is and he doesn’t have a Wikipedia page. Where does his 10 years of experience come from? You must be familiar with his work.
Come on you called him a nobody and sarcastically made fun of his professional opinion on this hire. I take the word of someone who works in the college basketball industry with a bit more importance than you do. He has the background and credentials to know what he is talking about. Who cares if he is not famous he is respected in the college basketball circles.

Here’s some info on his coaching career.
https://richieschueler.com/about/

So who would you rather praise Terry’s staff? Richie or Jay Bilas? Richie or Steve Lavin? Richie or Doris Burke? Richie or Bill Walton?

So who would you rather praise Terry’s staff? Richie or Jay Bilas? Richie or Steve Lavin? Richie or Doris Burke? Richie or Bill Walton?
Given that Richie has extensively covered the MW and WCC and has personally watched a ton of those games I would say his opinion. Over the others who mainly focus on P5 leagues and pay little attention to what is going on in the mid major west coast scene.

Reactions: Dmanminer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT