ADVERTISEMENT

This is on Wilson

The engineering program is getting a huge boost since the hiring of Wilson. She killing it on the academic side.

Proud, UTEP, engineer grad right here! UTEP is still a better school, for now.
But in just over a decade that I have been in San Antonio, I have seen their engineering program go from not being ABET certified, to getting that certification, to having one of the key developers of a software program heavily used in engineering, teaching courses at the school. I know someone that had the option to go to UT or UTSA, tuition covered by their service in the military, and commute was roughly the same (New Braunfels) and they chose UTSA because that developer taught at UTSA.
I have a family member that works for another university in San Antonio, and the pace that UTSA gets things done puts lots of universities to shame. It's like burocracy doesn't exist there.

But in just over a decade that I have been in San Antonio, I have seen their engineering program go from not being ABET certified, to getting that certification, to having one of the key developers of a software program heavily used in engineering, teaching courses at the school. I know someone that had the option to go to UT or UTSA, tuition covered by their service in the military, and commute was roughly the same (New Braunfels) and they chose UTSA because that developer taught at UTSA.
I have a family member that works for another university in San Antonio, and the pace that UTSA gets things done puts lots of universities to shame. It's like burocracy doesn't exist there.
That's all great but what does that have to do with her responsibilty to UTEP athletics?

Reactions: Lil_Train
Where is the finish line?
To be specific, research grants and dollars. That is the finish line.

For your smaller smaller liberal arts colleges its alum & benefactors and largely where they send their grads off too. I.E. a degree from Swathmore carries some weight (not Ivey League weight) to top grad schools because of its demanding liberal arts program.

More to do with San Antonio area becoming an epicenter for data services and IT both in the civilian world and with joint base San Antonio being the home for military cyber warfare.

I think UTEP is still a better school, academically, than UTSA, but that won't last long. UTSA is just growing by leaps and bounds in every aspect while UTEP stagnates. Unless my kids get full ride, scholarships, I would be very happy with them getting an education at UTSA.

No, please, no! I need something to cling on to in the sea of UTSA graduates I work in.
I agree with you that UTEP is better than UTSA academically, however, that can change if UTEP drops the ball like they’ve done in athletics. I believe Wilson is a good president and has the university headed in the right direction academically. Wilson is well respected and has great contacts in the military and federal government sector. We just need an AD that can raise money and hire better coaches. No more retreads with losing records.

Wilson needs to use those connections to get the “military “ companies to sponsor UTEP. Only half kidding.

Wilson needs to use those connections to get the “military “ companies to sponsor UTEP. Only half kidding.
"Black budget".

But she is bringing the goods as they say.

220609-BOR-Rendering-1-web.jpg

"UTEP broke ground today on the Advanced Manufacturing and Aerospace Center — an $80 million building that will provide cutting edge research and educational space for UTEP’s College of Engineering" 08/30/22

She's doing an amazing job! We have to keep her for as long as she wants to be here.

Reactions: Rot
She's doing an amazing job! We have to keep her for as long as she wants to be here.
Yeah right , they will probably use that money to give themselves raises, and use like 10% for research. They will probably just remodel an old building.

Yeah right , they will probably use that money to give themselves raises, and use like 10% for research. They will probably just remodel an old building.
1. They can't use the money for raises and still have it count as research expenditures. Unless you're talking about the staff that is on the research project. Which is a good thing for the university.
2. Remodeling old buildings to house research is a good thing for the university.

1. They can't use the money for raises and still have it count as research expenditures.
2. Remodeling old buildings to house research is a good thing for the school.
Yeah they can use that money for raises. They will find some loophole and steal the money. It's the El Paso way.

So you admit they will be remodeling an old building?

Yeah they can use that money for raises. They will find some loophole and steal the money. It's the El Paso way.

So you admit they will be remodeling an old building?
I can't admit something that I don't know the answer to, but I definitely hope they will remodel some old buildings.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I can't admit something that I don't know the answer to, but I definitely hope they will remodel some old buildings.

Blah no . UTEP needs new things not remodels. Stop with the upgrades, and no the money shouldn't be used to give the staff a raise. Why do you say that's a good thing?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Blah no . UTEP needs new things not remodels. Stop with the upgrades, and no the money shouldn't be used to give the staff a raise. Why do you say that's a good thing?
Because most likely they won't be giving raises to the current staff. They'll be hiring better staff for more money. Higher pay almost always attracts better people for research.

Having worked for years with federal grants, there's absolutely no way the money designated for research can go to any other line item other than the one spelled out in the approved budget that was submitted with the grant request, unless the request for the change is approved by the granting agency. These grants are audited to the very last penny. To state otherwise, shows ignorance.

GO MINERS!

Having worked for years with federal grants, there's absolutely no way the money designated for research can go to any other line item other than the one spelled out in the approved budget that was submitted with the grant request, unless the request for the change is approved by the granting agency. These grants are audited to the very last penny. To state otherwise, shows ignorance.

GO MINERS!

Just ask Brett Favre...lol

Just ask Brett Favre...lol
Apples and Oranges...we're talking federal research grants not Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) money which is the funding that Favre (and others) are implicated in abusing.

GO MINERS!

GO MINERS!
Taco just said it's okay to use grant money to give raises . He actually said no they cant use the money to give raises, and they he said if it's for faculty in the research department, it's okay to give them raises. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤥🤥

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT