ADVERTISEMENT

Tiny Archibald has a new heart -- and a new outlook on life

Tiny is considered one of the best of all time. Sometimes I wonder why he isn't mentioned more as a UTEP legend. He played before I was born, but I hear way more about him from the national media than I do from local media.

Aside from the ‘66 team and maybe Don Maynard UTEP has never really embraced the good players we’ve had in the past in both football and basketball. I have to commend Floyd because they retired numbers under his watch. But I agree with you 100%. If you don’t dig into the history of UTEP sports you would think they’ve never had ANYONE good.

Reactions: minermx07
Aside from the ‘66 team and maybe Don Maynard UTEP has never really embraced the good players we’ve had in the past in both football and basketball. I have to commend Floyd because they retired numbers under his watch. But I agree with you 100%. If you don’t dig into the history of UTEP sports you would think they’ve never had ANYONE good.

Or listen to honey

Tiny coached here under Haskins for a time in the 80s but there was some dischord between him and Haskins at the end culminating in Tiny telling the national media that he had received cash and gifts while playing at UTEP. This had bearing on the Miners being placed on probation and losing scholies late in Haskins career leading to his retirement. Never sat well with old-timers like me.

Tiny coached here under Haskins for a time in the 80s but there was some dischord between him and Haskins at the end culminating in Tiny telling the national media that he had received cash and gifts while playing at UTEP. This had bearing on the Miners being placed on probation and losing scholies late in Haskins career leading to his retirement. Never sat well with old-timers like me.

I heard that story. Never wanted to share it because it's hearsay.

Supposedly, Tiny was always kind of moody and undependable (sounded like undiagnosed depression). Haskins lost faith in Archibald and took responsibilities away from him. Archibald felt Haskins didn't respect him. And the fallout happened.

Don't have all the specifics, but I remember shortly after we beat Rupp, it was discovered that he was recruiting Tiny, but he announced, " I'm going to Texas Western". Any of you have this recollection?

I have never heard that before. There was a “dead” period for me, after I moved away from EP and before the internet exploded, where I was not privy to a whole lot of info regarding UTEP bb.

During this time frame, I would call up KSAT 12, usually get the local legendary sportscaster, Greg Simmons, on the phone and get the score from him because I couldn’t wait for the paper the following morning.

Interesting info, though.

What were the findings of that investigation? I’m only asking because a couple of years later UTEP made the sweet 16. It seems like several of you guys know a lot more than I would ever know.
The article below details the specifics of the probation. It only mentions the Staggers recruitment. I don't remember if the Archibald was involved with Staggers, but the time period is close. The program began its descent after the Sweet 16 run by the 1992 team.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-10-30/sports/sp-521_1_junior-college

Last edited:
Tiny had a pretty good interview with Jim Brown a couple months back. He gave his kudos to UTEP and El Paso. Never heard the Haskins-coaching stuff. What else are you old-timers holding on to?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT