• Vs Fresno St. in NM or Frisco Bowl

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Vs another team in bowl other than NM or Frisco Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Personally want UTEP vs Nevada while I think we have a better shot at beating Wyoming, I'd prefer to beat a good team with a winning record.

I will be surprised if it Isn't the NM bowl. Wyoming gives us a better chance but if it is the Cowboys won't be much of an offensive game their offense is a lot like ours.

Personally want UTEP vs Nevada while I think we have a better shot at beating Wyoming, I'd prefer to beat a good team with a winning record.
UTEP needs a bowl win, so I’ll take any game vs the weakest opposition.
To quote Jay from The 40 year old Virgin, “All you trying to do right now is bust off this first night.”

Reactions: MinerFan79
Voted for Fresno St since they beat Nevada, San Diego St and UCLA. If the Miners played and lost to Wyoming who had a 2-6 conference record, that would look really bad. Losing to Fresno St would be more acceptable and a win would look great.

Voted for Fresno St since they beat Nevada, San Diego St and UCLA. If the Miners played and lost to Wyoming who had a 2-6 conference record, that would look really bad. Losing to Fresno St would be more acceptable and a win would look great.
Nope. Nobody will care who the opponent beat or lost to.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Wyoming beat the MAC champions and the MW champions. Anyone we play from the MW is going to be tough. I want Fresno too since they already lost their HC and starting qb. I think that's enough to even the odds a little bit.

Wyoming gives us our only chance to win. Fresno St or Nevada will be ugly games. It would look a heck of a lot better to actually either lose a close game or win, then get blown out badly like we did by BYU in our last bowl game.

Wyoming gives us our only chance to win. Fresno St or Nevada will be ugly games. It would look a heck of a lot better to actually either lose a close game or win, then get blown out badly like we did by BYU in our last bowl game.
Not so fast on Fresno St. No coach and lost starting QB! Could be a little different without the starting QB at least.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Playing to lose?

You chose to ignore "and a win would be great". I simply stated both possibilities. You chose to focus on the negative.
I didn’t choose to ignore anything. I just noticed “win” was absent when you mentioned Wyoming, but you mentioned loss to both teams. Just sayin’.

I didn’t choose to ignore anything. I just noticed “win” was absent when you mentioned Wyoming, but you mentioned loss to both teams. Just sayin’.
You're such an ass. jk

To any reader that is not an ass (jk again) it's implied that a win vs Wyoming would be viewed as not much of an accomplishment.

Reactions: minerfan_14
You're such an ass. jk

To any reader that is not an ass (jk again) it's implied that a win vs Wyoming would be viewed as not much of an accomplishment.
Ouch

By all means, continue counting me in the ass category because I think a win against Wyoming would be a huge first step. I think it’s the only afore mentioned matchup that we’ have a chance to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
I don’t like the matchup, Fresno was ranked for a good part of the season. Fresno St by 28 points.
Their QB1, head coach, and some of the assistants are going to Washington and won’t be there for the bowl game. Fully loaded Fresno beats us by 28, but now it should be a closer margin.

Reactions: EMA884
I don’t like the matchup, Fresno was ranked for a good part of the season. Fresno St by 28 points.
Since you don't pay attention to college football apparently, I'll help ya out. Fresno lost their all conference QB and will be starting a Freshman in the Bowl game and lost their coach!

Alot of the times these Bowl games are about motivation. The talent factor would obviously go to Fresno, however just barely without their stud QB. Motivation can go either way. UTEP should be highly motivated to get the Schools first bowl win since Lyndon B. Johnson was president. Fresno may be motivated after QB and coach left to prove something or they may have a whatever attitude about the bowl game after not going to MWC Championship. It's fun to speculate and glad UTEP is still playing and hope they surprise some folks!

Reactions: kickballpro
We weren't blown out badly in our last bowl game.

I would how many fans Fresno will bring. I'm guessing that they won't be happy to be in this bowl given good of a season they've had. Hopefully it's to our advantage. I'm excited to be watching a bowl game with my team in it this year

If it is Fresno going to remind me of our Independence Bowl loss to Southern Miss a few years back. Stull was off to Missouri along with all the assistants. Rumor has it they didn't do much game prep and were spending time evaluating the Missouri game tapes. RB Harvey didn't play either. Don't know what the situation is in Fresno but losing a coach and QB could alter the dynamics of play.

No matter who UTEP plays will be dangerous. This can either motivate or hinder Fresno St, history has shown, UTEP struggles against teams who end up with a back up, and destroys the Miners lol. On paper it should be a good match up. I think the defense keeps the Miners in this one.

Reactions: nattybry
In reality this plays out as a good opportunity for us. A bowl we can travel to, and a match up which does give us a chance. Fresno is more of a defensive based team much like us and not an offensive power house like some of the others in MWC. IF we can get a W in this game it really sets up for us next season with a young team and some momentum.

Reactions: shyminer81
In reality this plays out as a good opportunity for us. A bowl we can travel to, and a match up which does give us a chance. Fresno is more of a defensive based team much like us and not an offensive power house like some of the others in MWC. IF we can get a W in this game it really sets up for us next season with a young team and some momentum.
They were definitely an Offensive Power house in the MWC with their great QB. However with him out, our chances went up substantially and they're offense takes a Big hit!

While I won’t disagree about them being a defensive team, 3rd fewest points surrendered in the MWC, their offense IS pretty stout too, also 3rd in the MWC at almost 34 points a game.

Alot of the times these Bowl games are about motivation. The talent factor would obviously go to Fresno, however just barely without their stud QB. Motivation can go either way. UTEP should be highly motivated to get the Schools first bowl win since Lyndon B. Johnson was president. Fresno may be motivated after QB and coach left to prove something or they may have a whatever attitude about the bowl game after not going to MWC Championship. It's fun to speculate and glad UTEP is still playing and hope they surprise some folks!

Yeah, you've got a Fresno State team that will either have already phoned in their season because the program is pushing reset or a team hungry to prove that they can win without those pieces.

Reactions: shyminer81
Yeah, you've got a Fresno State team that will either have already phoned in their season because the program is pushing reset or a team hungry to prove that they can win without those pieces.
Is 2 weeks enough time to get the interim HC and new QB ready? I like UTEP’s chances since their defense along with Cowing will be rested and they have 2 weeks to prepare without any distractions.

Reactions: kickballpro
Curious to see what the line will be....In looking at the MWC there is so much parity in the top teams and the scores head to head for the most part are close. Hard to predict what the quality of Fresno is, they have some really nice wins against quality teams, which we don't have. A lot of this will give us a bit of insight into how strong MWC and CUSA is and how much different the quality of teams are. I do think that CUSA is a bit underrated as a football conference so this game will give us some insight in where we want to be if we ever get the chance to jump.

This is better than Wyoming. Excited to see UTEP play a winning team that was ranked during the regular season. Big opportunity for Dimel to take advantage of their situation and turn it into his biggest win.

"But the fact is nobody really cares about a basement-tier bowl in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Frisco, Texas, or wherever the Bulldogs get dispatched to. Nobody, that is, besides local organizers and ESPN executives who create them out of thin air just to fill a few hours of holiday programming."

Ouch.

But then again, I've said the same thing. Meh.

"But the fact is nobody really cares about a basement-tier bowl in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Frisco, Texas, or wherever the Bulldogs get dispatched to. Nobody, that is, besides local organizers and ESPN executives who create them out of thin air just to fill a few hours of holiday programming."

Ouch.

But then again, I've said the same thing. Meh.
To be expected when your team beat the conference champion and went on the road to beat UCLA. All of the MWC bowls would be a let down.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
If it is Fresno going to remind me of our Independence Bowl loss to Southern Miss a few years back. Stull was off to Missouri along with all the assistants. Rumor has it they didn't do much game prep and were spending time evaluating the Missouri game tapes. RB Harvey didn't play either. Don't know what the situation is in Fresno but losing a coach and QB could alter the dynamics of play.
More like a few decades back. no?

All the "cards" say we are going to get embarrassed on national TV. What's new?

At least we have an opportunity to prove them wrong, let's see if we take advantage of said opportunity.
95a51892-d967-43e1-8564-684a493d3b3f_text.gif

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT