Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Vs Nevada in NM or Frisco Bowl

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Vs Fresno St. in NM or Frisco Bowl

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Vs another team in bowl other than NM or Frisco Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If it is Fresno going to remind me of our Independence Bowl loss to Southern Miss a few years back. Stull was off to Missouri along with all the assistants. Rumor has it they didn't do much game prep and were spending time evaluating the Missouri game tapes. RB Harvey didn't play either. Don't know what the situation is in Fresno but losing a coach and QB could alter the dynamics of play.
Stull stayed long enough to coach that bowl game. We were missing our best rb though.

We didn't look like world beaters against Toledo either as we lost 45-13. What was our excuse then?

I don't think losing their coach and QB makes much of a difference, or the spread would not be 17 points. I am sure their backup is better than anything we have.

Would I love an upset, of course, but this is not a good matchup for us however you stack the cards.

Last edited:
We didn't look like world beaters against Toledo either as we lost 45-13. What was our excuse then?

I don't think losing their coach and QB makes much of a difference, or the spread would not be 17 points. I am sure their backup is better than anything we have.

Would I love an upset, of course, but this is not a good matchup for us however you stack the cards.
The starting QB was one of the top QBs in the country, the back up is a freshman. Not saying he won't do well against us, but assuming their offense won't miss a beat is pretty ambitious of you! That line will go down slightly as the game gets closer, I guarantee you.

They're not Alabama. Take away a top 10 qb, their hc and top assistants from any G5 school and they won't be the same team.

Reactions: mikesarabia
UTEP is in as good a position as possible. On the surface Fresno looks like they’re going to go through some adversity over the next 2 weeks. The Miners can rest, regroup and I would assume they’ve been working on their offensive deficiencies. Plus the game is in Albuquerque, aside from The Sun Bowl this is as close to a home game as we’re going to get.

In all fairness, even Price was bemoaning this game because he knew they were a better team and their qb Gradkowski was really good.

ESPN writer Adam Rittenberg put out his bowl predictions and thinks Fresno St. will shut down Hardison and have enough to win by 2 TD's. 34-20 is his prediction.

ESPN writer Adam Rittenberg put out his bowl predictions and thinks Fresno St. will shut down Hardison and have enough to win by 2 TD's. 34-20 is his prediction.
It's pretty difficult to predict anything with any confidence with a starting QB attempting 9 passes the entire season. Then again, our teams seem to have a penchant for making backups and role players look like All-Americans.

Line doesn’t matter — bowl games are all about who is fired up for it, and who isn’t.
You are kidding right? If you want to argue that it is failure by the betting market to properly compare strength of teams in different conferences, and coaching aggression you may have a better argument. Secondly, when you have a Power vs Group of 5, this is where a spread in the 3 to 7 point range can be profitable by taking the money line. But not in games where the spread is any higher. The percentage is dismal.

Also, you are talking about UTEP, when have they ever exceeded expectations in a bowl game? All opposing teams have covered the spread since 1988 (0-6). UTEP wasn't fired up?

Reactions: MinerFan79
Fresno is a G5
Line doesn’t matter — bowl games are all about who is fired up for it, and who isn’t.
Kugler had UTEP pounding the daylights out of Utah State in the last bowl in the first half in a hard fought first half. Utah State was literally slobber knocked by half time. Their qb (Myers) was woozy after their last 1st half series.

Second half the ghosts of the flying wedge or V formation from the early 20th century haunted Kugler again as he want Uber conservative on his play calling and Utah State kept AJ under 100 and USU D came out and punched back just as hard. UTEP D did good but Showers and the offense couldn’t do anything.

UTEP D line is tops in the country will see how FSU handles it. What is still a problem are the penalties and inefficient offense. Nobody can stop Cowing, our opponents literally had to grab his pads to hold him down (and not called often enough) so look for double help coverage. Awatt is playing better than Hankins, he is. Fresno has to play honest so the Oline needs to have a clean game and knock off the stupid drive killers….penalties! Hardison can’t throw 110 mph fast balls on short routes, it loses a down and stalls drives too. Finesse, nice and easy. Look for Dimel to use the TE’s more as many on here wanted. UTEP D will stop Fresno offense on some drives, can our offense make the most of it? I say probably not and Bulldogs get the win.

Ya'll must of forgot UTEP struggled with Southern Miss' fourth string, walk on QB back on October 9th, and Fresno has also had a top 5 recruiting class in the MWC since 2018, Miners bout to get rolled and will be over matched like usual when playing a good team.

Ya'll must of forgot UTEP struggled with Southern Miss' fourth string, walk on QB back on October 9th, and Fresno has also had a top 5 recruiting class in the MWC since 2018, Miners bout to get rolled and will be over matched like usual when playing a good team.
That's why they play the game, we shall see.

Reactions: AZminer
Start of season [Miner Illustrated]

"If we win 4 to 5 it will be a good season and turnaround for Dimel" or something to that effect.

November 2021 [Miner Illustrated]

Dimel gets 7 wins and a bowl berth

54cb0db63daf2_-_sob-share.jpg

Reactions: bamfor
These defections might give UTEP a chance, but on the flip side, how frustrating is it going to be if a team with no head coach/no coordinator/new freshman QB comes out and looks more organized and disciplined than Dimel's team?
Maybe it's enough for Senter to realize we've reached Dimel’s ceiling.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I mean, if that doesn’t level the playing field…

Yet, we’re still gonna have trouble scoring is my guess. Maybe their DC will be hired away also.
I agree. All we have to do is hope we can score our average of 25 and hope that them missing those 3 pieces results in 10 points less of their season average.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Weird to think if UTEP were to win then Dimel would accomplish something Stull, Nord, Price and Kugler all couldn't
True, but Stull coached in an era where there was only 17 bowl games. Price’s era was closer to Dimel’s with about 35 bowl games. It’s a little more watered down these days.

With that said, I’m hoping with all I got that Dimel pulls it off!!

If Fresno St. foreits due to lack of coaches and player turnover, does that count as Utep's 1st bowl victory in 54 years or there will be an Asterisk? Lol

These defections might give UTEP a chance, but on the flip side, how frustrating is it going to be if a team with no head coach/no coordinator/new freshman QB comes out and looks more organized and disciplined than Dimel's team?
I would feel more confident if additional Fresno players were to not play, versus coaching staff defections. Even without their starting QB, they are still a very talented team. I'm not saying the coaches aren't a factor, but it is a player's game ultimately.

Is it his ceiling though? Next year is a tougher schedule, but we may have a stronger team. Shouldn't next year determine what his ceiling is?!
What in the past four years has shown us that he can progress as a coach?
Beating teams that are equal or worse than Utep. I will give him that, but I want to see him beat winning teams.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
What in the past four years has shown us that he can progress as a coach?
Beating teams that are equal or worse than Utep. I will give him that, but I want to see him beat winning teams.
I’m not the biggest supporter of Dimel. In fact I’m hardly a supporter at all. However, to be fair, the progress is that we used to lose to the equal or worse teams and now we beat them more often than not. That my friend, whether we want to admit it or not, is the progress.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT