Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Vs Nevada in NM or Frisco Bowl

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Vs Fresno St. in NM or Frisco Bowl

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Vs another team in bowl other than NM or Frisco Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
True, but Stull coached in an era where there was only 17 bowl games. Price’s era was closer to Dimel’s with about 35 bowl games. It’s a little more watered down these days.

With that said, I’m hoping with all I got that Dimel pulls it off!!
It's true there's more bowls but there's also more teams. From a little over 100 when Stull was coach, to 117 when Price first took over to now 130 and more on the way. Fortunately for UTEP every time they've been bowl eligible they've gone bowling. There has been a couple of teams with winning seasons left home during bowl season.

It's true there's more bowls but there's also more teams. From a little over 100 when Stull was coach, to 117 when Price first took over to now 130 and more on the way. Fortunately for UTEP every time they've been bowl eligible they've gone bowling. There has been a couple of teams with winning seasons left home during bowl season.
Yep, but all of those 30 new schools since Stull was around are G5 schools. The increase in teams didn’t necessarily add to the difficulty of making a bowl. In fact quite the opposite. Numbers wise, it’s like they added a bowl per every two teams added since that era. So it’s much easier to get in, and therefore win. Just saying, in Stull’s time, you basically had to be top 35 to make a bowl. Now you can be 84th(ish).

What in the past four years has shown us that he can progress as a coach?
Beating teams that are equal or worse than Utep. I will give him that, but I want to see him beat winning teams.
You dont think he's made progress?

Yep, but all of those 30 new schools since Stull was around are G5 schools. The increase in teams didn’t necessarily add to the difficulty of making a bowl. In fact quite the opposite. Numbers wise, it’s like they added a bowl per every two teams added since that era. So it’s much easier to get in, and therefore win. Just saying, in Stull’s time, you basically had to be top 35 to make a bowl. Now you can be 84th(ish).

Actually, if Corona's number are right that means that one new bowl has been added for every one additional team that has become eligible. Corona said the number of eligible teams has grown from "a little over 100" to 130. The number of bowls has gone from 17 to 42.

Essentially, 25 more teams, 25 more bowls. but it takes two teams to play in a bowl so 50 more teams now qualify when the number of FBS teams has grown by only 25.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
You dont think he's made progress?
I believe he has upped the talent, but his game day coaching is the same as when he got. We have won more games because of better players not his coaching.
Still the lack of awareness, poor adjustments, questionable play calling, lack of discipline leading to many and untimely penalties.

Reactions: utep-piggy
So the players get credit for winning and Dimel get's none, but when a player gets a penalty it's Dimel's fault?
Not what I am saying at all. Many penalties are cause of lack of preparation or flaws in technique
Players will always make mistakes, by delay of games, lining up wrong, some holding calls due to poor play call etc are on the coaching. I give Dismel credit for bringing it better talent, but he and his coaches are still the teachers of these gentlemen.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Miner Athletic Club and UTEP Alumni Association to hold an event on Friday night before the bowl game in ABQ. Also, a pregame party before the game as well. It will be shared soon to everyone, and UTEP sections for the game will be DD and FF so get your tickets if you are attending.

If we aren't ready to compete and win this game, then it will be on Dimel and the players. I really don't care about Fresno St.
I think we both know the answer and most probable outcome of this game. I really wish we would win but I'm hoping we at least cover.

Lee Marks, rb coach and asst head coach, will coach the Bulldogs thru the bowl game and then Tedford takes over. I'm sure he is a capable coach and will do a good job. Our guys just need to approach the game as if Fresno St is at full strength and do the best they can. Hopefuly it will be good enough to get the win.

Reactions: Rot and MinerFan79
Lee Marks, rb coach and asst head coach, will coach the Bulldogs thru the bowl game and then Tedford takes over. I'm sure he is a capable coach and will do a good job. Our guys just need to approach the game as if Fresno St is at full strength and do the best they can. Hopefuly it will be good enough to get the win.
Interesting. Another coach with somewhat serious health issues? He has had to leave twice from previous positions for health reasons.

Well we always said we’d be happy if they got to a bowl. No way they are winning if the QB plays, Dimel offense can’t keep up. Either way, expectations are low, and I will be happy to see the Miners play!

Another example of be careful what you wish for. Seems like half, maybe more than half, wanted to play Fresno instead of Wyoming.

Damn magical thinking. Power of intention. Law of attraction. Welp, here we go!🙃

Reactions: Lil_Train
Another example of be careful what you wish for. Seems like half, maybe more than half, wanted to play Fresno instead of Wyoming.

Damn magical thinking. Power of intention. Law of attraction. Welp, here we go!🙃
If Wyoming beats Kent St we can pretty much conclude they would have done the same to us.

Sure. But I’d like our chances over Wyoming far more than over FSU. Call me superstitious, but I just want to get the monkey off our back.

It’s like once we win one, the curse will have lost a lot of its power.
It would be nice to break that curse but I don't think we have a team that can beat any of the current bowl teams. Imo our best chance would have been against Miami OH.

It would be nice to break that curse but I don't think we have a team that can beat any of the current bowl teams. Imo our best chance would have been against Miami OH.
Well you’re probably right, but I’ll be there cheering us on anyway, hoping that the same wishful thinking that brought Fresno State on in the first place , helps us kick their asses also.

Last edited:
We beat ODU already.

Fresno State (9-3) lost by 7 at Oregon while Wyoming (6-6) lost to UNM; I don’t see how people can think we have a better chance against Fresno than we would have against Wyoming.

Well Damn, there goes that dream. If he plays Fresno St. 45 UTEP 20 if he doesn't play Fresno St. 27 UTEP 24 Hopefully he doesn't play in the Bowl game if that's possible!

Last edited:
Reactions: shyminer81
We beat ODU already.

Fresno State (9-3) lost by 7 at Oregon while Wyoming (6-6) lost to UNM; I don’t see how people can think we have a better chance against Fresno than we would have against Wyoming.
Everyone likes to focus on that one loss to UNM. What about their wins over 10-2 Montana St. If we barely squeezed by a 2-9 BCU I don't see us beating a top 10 FCS school. Or what about their wins over 9-4 NIU or 10-3 Utah St on the road?

We're paper champs and Wyoming's seniors would be chomping at the bit to get their hands on us.

Someone posted this on the CUSA board. The upset is back on. HC and Qb won't be in Fresno until next year. Looks like another assistant Brown, has left for Washington. That's 3 coaches if we're keeping count.

At the bottom of the article, it says that Fresno's athletics department confirms he's eligible to play in the bowl game.

The Fresno paper has a headline that he has resumed bowl practices.

So who knows.

Us fans don't want him to play, UTEP players saying they hope he does play, cause they don't wanna beat some guy that only threw 5 TD's lol Big Talk From the Miners Players!

So apparently he's practicing with the the team, but it hasn't been decided if he'll start or play. My guess is the freshman QB will play and if he's not doing well or Fresno St. isn't doing well Haener will come in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT