ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 future NBA Players that UTEP has played against?

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
While watching the NBA Play-Offs, I started wondering who were some of the top future NBA Players that UTEP has played against? I know that I will be missing a lot, so please feel to edit my lists.

Just off the top of my head:

Here are the top 5 active NBA players that UTEP has played against:

- Derrick Rose.
- James Harden.
- Andrew Wiggins.
- Gordon Hayward.
- Hassan Whiteside.

Other active NBA players that UTEP played against:
- Jordan Clarkson.
- Andrew Bogut.
- Paul Milsapp.
- Stanley Johnson.
- Al Farouq Aminu.
- Andre Miller.

Here are the top 5 All-Time NBA players that UTEP has played against:

- Damon Stoudemire.
- James Harden.
- Sean Elliott.
- Alonzo Morning.
- Dikembe Mutumbo.

Others:

- Chris Jackson.
- Glenn Robinson.
- Nick Van Exel.
- Keith Van Horn
- Sean Bradley.
- Luke Longley.

Last edited:
Joe Dumars
Karl Malone
JoJo White
Maurice Cheeks
Kevin Gamble
Danny Ainge
Michael Cooper
Kenny Thomas
Dana Barros
Hersey Hawkins
Roy Tarpley
Steve Kerr

Last edited:
I always think back to when Derrick Caracter dominated Hassan Whiteside AND his 6'10" partner inside, who was also a heck of a player, at a game at Marshall during Barbee's last year. It was a magical game. It was perhaps the high water mark of that year. I'm not sure anyone would have beat us that night.

I always think back to when Derrick Caracter dominated Hassan Whiteside AND his 6'10" partner inside, who was also a heck of a player, at a game at Marshall during Barbee's last year. It was a magical game. It was perhaps the high water mark of that year. I'm not sure anyone would have beat us that night.
I'll never forgive myself for missing that game. I think we used to play Wednesday's and Saturdays conference games during that time. For some reason the game was played on a Tuesday night. Caught up with work and everything else I completely forgot about the game. One of my good friends calls me super excited yelling on the phone "did you see that game?" That's when it hit me. I couldn't believe I had missed such an important game. They had a sellout crowd and from the highlights I've seen it looked like an amazing game.

I remember that game and I agree I don't think anyone could have beat us on that day.

Tom Chambers - Utah - retired - the only player in the NBA with over 20k points not in the HOF. He's in the top 10 all time category.

Tyreke Evans - Memphis

Others: Fennis Dembo, Wyoming, short lived NBA career but certainly was a pain in the side for the Miners.

Steve Kerr - AZ
Michael Smith - BYU

That kid out of Murray State that now plays with OKC.

Uwe Blab
Brad Lohaus
BJ Armstrong
Reggie Williams

Last edited:
Steve Kerr missed the year with injury when the Miners played Arizona.

I stand corrected, was on the roster when Arizona played in the '83 Sun Carnival Tournament.

Last edited:
Was 5/5's of the 1976 Indiana U. squad drafted into the NBA? Probably not all stars but that was a heckuva team.

Reactions: allminer
Brad Sellers (Ohio State) and Buck Johnson (Alabama), same Sun Carnival Tournament! UTEP won both games. Walt Frazier (S. Illinois), Chuck Person (Michigan), Glenn Robinson (Purdue), Mel Daniels (New Mexico), Paul Westphal (USC), Quinn Buckner (Indiana), Mike McGee (Michgan), and one of my favorite names Uwe Blab (Indiana-for the hell of it).:rolleyes:

I will never forget Evans. He crushed UTEP's championship hopes in the final game at the DHC. Can't forget Keith Van Horn.

One of the biggest marquee matchups in Miner history was Jim Barnes against Lucious Jackson both of whom became NBA'ers

Reactions: utep2step
Steve Reid (Purdue) Danny Vranes (UTAH) and the 7-6 string bean from BYU, who was called MR. Elbow and I can't believe Carl Malone (La Tech) isn't in the top five, he was one of the great pros of all time. He got into foul trouble early and only has 8 pts and 8 rebounds when we played back in the early 80's. We also can add Isiah Thomas form Indiana when we played in the Hooiser Classic in the late 70's

Steve Reid (Purdue) Danny Vranes (UTAH) and the 7-6 string bean from BYU, who was called MR. Elbow and I can't believe Carl Malone (La Tech) isn't in the top five, he was one of the great pros of all time. He got into foul trouble early and only has 8 pts and 8 rebounds when we played back in the early 80's. We also can add Isiah Thomas form Indiana when we played in the Hooiser Classic in the late 70's

Shawn Bradley

Thats him! 7-6 and 180. He and Manute Bol guarded each other in a game and don't think the NBA has ever seen such a total lack of talent on the court at the same time since!

Thats him! 7-6 and 180. He and Manute Bol guarded each other in a game and don't think the NBA has ever seen such a total lack of talent on the court at the same time since!

Bradley actually had some skill. He was just...as you stated...180 pounds soaking wet, and was so easy to push around.

Baseball: one warm EP afternoon I saw Hubie Brooks & Bob Horner of the ASU Sun Devils hitting linedrive homeruns over the tall centerfield fence at the famous Dudley Dome against the beloved Miners. An ice cold cerveza would have been an excellent capper.

Here are the top 5 All-Time NBA players that UTEP has played against:

- Damon Stoudemire.
- James Harden.
- Sean Elliott.
- Alonzo Morning.
- Dikembe Mutumbo.
Let's try that starting 5 again:

PG: Isiah Thomas
SG: Joe Dumars
SF: Glenn Robinson
PF: Karl Malone
C: Alonzo Mourning

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Michael Cage of SDSU was a very good baller and had a lengthy NBA career.

Oh yeah, another WAC legend forgotten about! Boy was he a monster. I would love to play a one on one video game match up of him vs Siakam during their respective college careers.

oops just relooked and saw him. He lit us up but we still won. I don't know if he did well but Bo Lamar killed us as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT