ADVERTISEMENT

ttu fires Wells

Reported by Dennis Dodd on CBSSports.com that Sarkisian's buyout would be 21mm. On top of the 15mm still due to previous coach Tom Herman. But hey, this is Texas. All of that money comes from the program; not a penny from the university. They're literally a printing press in Austin. They can do whatever they want.
As long as they have dummies willing to keep giving them money, why not? Their run in the SEC will be ugly if they can’t even dominate the Big 12.

As long as they have dummies willing to keep giving them money, why not? Their run in the SEC will be ugly if they can’t even dominate the Big 12.
again-there-you-go-again.gif

That's kind of why it think they'll pull the plug on him if he losses out. There's no time to see if he'll win with his freshman recruiting class. No way Texas wants to be the Vanderbilt of the SEC.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Texas would be stupid to get rid of Sarkisian after year one. Texas fans, alum and boosters talk so much wind at times they create their own electricity, and I cheer for the Longhorns every weekend.

Boy do I wish we'd had that wind this past February.

• Haha
Reactions: MinerManiac
Texas would be stupid to get rid of Sarkisian after year one. Texas fans, alum and boosters talk so much wind at times they create their own electricity, and I cheer for the Longhorns every weekend.
Clearly the program is broken. Firing yet another coach is not going to be the fix all

Herman coached at Texas from 2017-2020.

Texas recruiting rankings

Herman

2017 - 25
2018 - 3
2019 - 3
2020 - 8

Sarkisian

2021 - 15
2022 - 7

Not According to Rivals they were never ranked that high in fact Rivals had Texas 2020 class at 14 which clearly was more accurate

This is what schools that prioritize football do. They don't care about the 7 seven straight Bowl wins. They don't care about about the contract extension he signed last year. One bad season and you're gone. We let our football coach go through 7 losing seasons.

Did I mention this school's athletic budget is near the bottom of cusa?

This is what schools that prioritize football do. They don't care about the 7 seven straight Bowl wins. They don't care about about the contract extension he signed last year. One bad season and you're gone. We let our football coach go through 7 losing seasons.

Did I mention this school's athletic budget is near the bottom of cusa?

Being a “football school” is part of the equation, but it appears that LaTech boosters and season ticket holders won’t tolerate losing. UTEP fans tolerate losing and accept poor results.

Being a “football school” is part of the equation, but it appears that LaTech boosters and season ticket holders won’t tolerate losing. UTEP fans tolerate losing and accept poor results.
He signed a 4 million dollar contract and extension last year. It's rumored his buyout is a little over 3 million. The donors and fans have no problem coming up with the money needed.

Tough business. To LT 9 wins and winning bowls wasn't good enough since Holtz never brought them a conference championship.

It shows a clear distinction in their mindset to UTEP's.

I've always found it interesting how the UTEP fan base has little patience for a Football rebuild even though the history is pathetic but the fanbase is pretty patient when it comes to basketball which is an easier to turn around and has a pretty decent history.

I've always found it interesting how the UTEP fan base has little patience for a Football rebuild even though the history is pathetic but the fanbase is pretty patient when it comes to basketball which is an easier to turn around and has a pretty decent history.
Add to that the quality of basketball coaches hired and their salary. While football is hiring line coaches and guys with 0-11 seasons on their record.

I've heard people say Golding gets 3-4 years. Lol naw, by next year we better be competing for a conference title.

I must be in the minority. I was ready for Floyd to leave after 4 years. I was ready for Kugler to leave after 4. I was ready for Terry to leave after 2. I was ready for Dimel to leave after 2 (still don’t care for his style, but obviously missed on this one).

I’ll play devil’s advocate. I really don’t think bb is an easier turnaround. Obviously there are fewer moving pieces, so perhaps it’s simpler, however getting the chemistry right has proven to be a monumental task. I know it’s happened before, however lightening struck in that 03-04 season and hasn’t since. I think the turnaround can happen quicker, but it rarely does. Just my .02 worth.

I must be in the minority. I was ready for Floyd to leave after 4 years. I was ready for Kugler to leave after 4. I was ready for Terry to leave after 2. I was ready for Dimel to leave after 2 (still don’t care for his style, but obviously missed on this one).

I’ll play devil’s advocate. I really don’t think bb is an easier turnaround. Obviously there are fewer moving pieces, so perhaps it’s simpler, however getting the chemistry right has proven to be a monumental task. I know it’s happened before, however lightening struck in that 03-04 season and hasn’t since. I think the turnaround can happen quicker, but it rarely does. Just my .02 worth.
Then there are examples like UNT. A football school that doesn't really care about basketball and has very little history or support. They hire a coach, underpay him and in his first year wins a post season tournament. Maybe he inherited a stacked team. Unless you think 8-22 the previous year is considered good. By year 3, win the conference championship and by year 4 win an NCAA game.

Then there are examples like UNT. A football school that doesn't really care about basketball and has very little history or support. They hire a coach, underpay him and in his first year wins a post season tournament. Maybe he inherited a stacked team. Unless you think 8-22 the previous year is considered good. By year 3, win the conference championship and by year 4 win an NCAA game.
Well obviously it happens. It happens in fb too, though. Take FAU before Lane Kiffin got there. 3-9. Next season, 9-3 and undefeated conference champions. It happens in both sports. We could cherry pick all day long with examples to support our sides of the argument.

Or take WKU. Traditionally a bb school. 3-9 in 2018 then 9-4 the next.

Well obviously it happens. It happens in fb too, though. Take FAU before Lane Kiffin got there. 3-9. Next season, 9-3 and undefeated conference champions. It happens in both sports. We could cherry pick all day long with examples to support our sides of the argument.

Or take WKU. Traditionally a bb school. 3-9 in 2018 then 9-4 the next.
That's true. It happened at UTEP with Price his first year. It always seems like a big name hire is behind those instant turnarounds.

Reactions: MineroFanatico

Could be true (as it took Barbee at least 3-4 years), but now with the transfer portal I think we should see improvement by year 2.

That being said though as long as I see an upward trajectory and success with some better recruiting I will give Golding at least 3 years. By year 3-4 he should be winning a title/in the NCAA and showing big potential for sustainability (Ala Barbee).

Last edited:
Could be true (as it took Barbee at least 3-4 years), but now with the transfer portal I think we should see improvement by year 2.

That being said though as long as I see an upward trajectory and success with some better recruiting I will give Golding at least 3 years. By year 3-4 he should be winning a title/in the NCAA and shoeing big potential for sustainability (Ala Barbee).
By next year we should see an increase in total wins and standing in the conference table. Should be at least in the top 4 and hopefully reach the semifinals of the CUSA tournament. By year 3 I expect us to win the regular season title and or the conference tournament.

I agree with both you guys, axing and corona. I’ve set the same timeline. If it’s completely obvious the Miners keep improving. And I mean obvious, like with Barbee, I’m willing to stretch it to year 4.
Barbee started coaching here 15 years ago. A lot has changed and so has that model. You can get a new team basically every year. At UTEP we chalk up last place finishes acceptable in a coaches first year and use “he needs his own players” as the excuse.

Floyd and Barbee didn’t get to sign 6 players of their own in year 1.

Barbee started coaching here 15 years ago. A lot has changed and so has that model. You can get a new team basically every year. At UTEP we chalk up last place finishes acceptable in a coaches first year and use “he needs his own players” as the excuse.

Floyd and Barbee didn’t get to sign 6 players of their own in year 1.
Not comparing models. Doesn’t matter when it was. My point was that we saw improvement from year to year with Barbee. Obvious improvement. I don’t care if it’s 1966 or 2040, improvement has to happen, and be evident. Matters not who the coach is and what year or era it is.

Not comparing models. Doesn’t matter when it was. My point was that we saw improvement from year to year with Barbee. Obvious improvement. I don’t care if it’s 1966 or 2040, improvement has to happen, and be evident. Matters not who the coach is and what year or era it is.
I get ya. His improvement was in small increments from years 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. He also played against Memphis and Houston, not UTSA and FIU.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I get ya. His improvement was in small increments from years 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. He also played against Memphis and Houston, not UTSA and FIU.
That's mainly why coaches like Terry and Golding should have a shorter time to show if they can get it done.

CUSA has one team in the top 100. I remember the old CUSA used to have up to 6 in some seasons.

That's mainly why coaches like Terry and Golding should have a shorter time to show if they can get it done.
By whose standards? Yours and mine? Not Senter’s. He gave Terry an extension last year and he would have likely been coaching this year and next at a minimum.

Reactions: JCorona
If a College Football Program is turned around in a year or two, its because the new coach inherited talent or an experienced group.

A college basketball team can change with a single recruit. One player.

Not at our level. Name a time that’s happened at the mid major level. Even 5 star Bassey hasn’t done that.
It's not really a rags to riches story but the addition of Character took us from contenders to champions. I'm not sure we would have had the season we did without him.

I don't really keep up with college basketball that much to name other examples.

It's not really a rags to riches story but the addition of Character took us from contenders to champions. I'm not sure we would have had the season we did without him.

I don't really keep up with college basketball that much to name other examples.
Naw. He came in year 4. He couldn't have done it without the strong team that was already built around him. Plus even with Caracter we didn't win when it really counted.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Naw. He came in year 4. He couldn't have done it without the strong team that was already built around him. Plus even with Caracter we didn't win when it really counted.
Sometimes a team is missing one piece and imo Character was that piece Barbee needed for UTEP to win a conference title.

Yeah otherwise I don't think in year 1 a coach will have one recruit that turns a team around. Maybe one class like Billy did to turn us from 6 wins to 24.

It’s “Caracter”.

Caracter was a serious crap shoot. Haskins had his as well. Some got a one way ticket home (Johnson/Kansas) and others left a legacy (Sandle/Arizona State). Caracter left a legacy.

Reactions: Lil_Train
It’s “Caracter”.

Caracter was a serious crap shoot. Haskins had his as well. Some got a one way ticket home (Johnson/Kansas) and others left a legacy (Sandle/Arizona State). Caracter left a legacy.
What legacy? He was part of one good team and that’s it. He didn’t even play the whole year. Didn’t make a tournament run. His jersey will never be honored here. He was a good player, but legacy? One of the dumbest things you’ve said, and that says a lot.

Reactions: Hot For Keitha

Calipari gifted DC to Barbee.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT