ADVERTISEMENT

UNT at UTEP MBB: OPT etc

Uh i agreed until this. This team is not a 20 win team. Regardless of who the coach is (and I'm not defending the coaching). Team lacks talent and you usually don't win without talent.
Ok so does our coach just throw the season away with a team that keeps most games really close and has a lot of good qualities or does he adjust and win more games with what he's got. It's coaching. Sure we need more talented players for next year, but what should make any of us think that Golding can bring those type of players here?

Last edited:
Reactions: FedupMiner
We keep trying to go away from our strengths. The more we are in a bind the more we do it. I'm telling you it's poor coaching. This team, same guys could be a 20 win team, even with poor 3 point shooting.
How many wins do you think last year’s team would have been with a better HC?

How many wins do you think last year’s team would have been with a better HC?
I dont know, but 2 totally different teams. Either way the coach recruits players that can conform to his style and execute, or the coach MUST adjust to what he has and utilize the players' strengths to win. A great coach will do both. Golding has done neither.

UTEP needs their own Perry or “Jelly” Walker (UAB). Givance and Hardy are fighters and I don’t question their heart but Givance got killed with 3 killer step back three pointers that got UNT actually ahead with a minute left. Givance got shut down with UNT D late.

Golding doesn’t have that KO duo.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
It comes down again to the differential in three point shooting. When you make only 3 three point baskets, and give up 10 that is nearly impossible to overcome. They did some good things out there, but you have to be able to make open shots...broken record. On a positive note, I really like how Onyema is playing lately, after a bit of a lull. Golding has to hold on to him, and if he does, Onyema can be one of the best big men in CUSA. That's pretty amazing for a guy who was a walk on.
This is a good point and this is something that has been weak throughout Goldings tenure. Weak perimeter defense.

Atleast last year, we had a couple guys that could score consistently with some roleplayers that could hit a 3.

Ok so does our coach just throw the season away with a team that keeps most games really close and has a lot of good qualities or does he adjust and win more games with what he's got. It's coaching. Sure we need more talented players for next year, but what should make any of us think that Golding can bring those type of players here?
Can't disagree that the coaching has been mediocre to bad. Lots of lines of evidence to show that the team has been poorly coached and outcoached all season.

I just disagree that having a better coach would win 20 games with these guys we have. The team doesn't have a lot of talent. They can't shoot. Low basketball IQ. The players we have, other than maybe a couple, would be roleplayers on other teams.

Reactions: axingfools1
Can't disagree that the coaching has been mediocre to bad. Lots of lines of evidence to show that the team has been poorly coached and outcoached all season.

I just disagree that having a better coach would win 20 games with these guys we have. The team doesn't have a lot of talent. They can't shoot. Low basketball IQ. The players we have, other than maybe a couple, would be roleplayers on other teams.
We’ve lost 6 games that came down to the last possession in regular time. With the right amount of luck there’s a chance this team could have won at least half of those. Throw in a win in the conference tournament and another in the CIT and 20 wins isn’t out of reach. The reality is that even a bad team like ours could have reached 20 wins. Essentially means that 20 wins today isn’t what it use to mean.

Meh....I like several players on this team. We absoeffinglutely need a couple shooters. I think our inside guys will develop further for next year. I like solomon and frazier. WTF happened to Sibley? talk about regressing instead progressing...Dos Anjos looks promising if he could stay healthy.....the rest? meh....see ya later bruh...

Golding has to adjust and learn mid major hoops. I believe he will. He needs at least ONE home run hit signing and coach up the other guys.

I didn't watch a second of the game yesterday. In fact, I forgot they were playing. As I previously stated, I had high end season tickets for around 15 years. When damn near the whole team left, I was done. Kennedy leaving was the final straw. (Dude and his pops believe he is NBA bound....hahahhaahahahaaa) It IS the way of CBB, but I won't support that garbage when IDIOTS Senter and Wilson just don't care. Why should I?

I won't say fire Golding. Nor will I say "Is it football season yet?" because I am firmly on the #firedanadimel train....

Seriously....WTF MAN???

Bronzeing sucks. He only won 20 games last year because he had Terry’s recruits. Boum, Kennedy, Verhouven, and Bienemy. Plus a weak schedule and entry into a garbage tournament.

The sooner we cut our losses, the better.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Bronzeing sucks. He only won 20 games last year because he had Terry’s recruits. Boum, Kennedy, Verhouven, and Bienemy. Plus a weak schedule and entry into a garbage tournament.

The sooner we cut our losses, the better.
You’re right, so then FAU should have fired Dusty May after 4 years of being mediocre and A&M should have fired buzz Williams after sucking in year 2. They would be much better off if they “cut their losses”.

You’re right, so then FAU should have fired Dusty May after 4 years of being mediocre and A&M should have fired buzz Williams after sucking in year 2. They would be much better off if they “cut their losses”.
I have already explained the difference between FAU keeping Dusty May for this 5 year and Bronzeing. So I will explain it again. May makes 50% less than Bronzeing. Before this season, FAU was lucky to get 1,000 people in the stands for their games. They had never been in the Top 25 and have been to the NCAAs once in their existence. Those were the only expectations for them. Is the expectation at UTEP to finish at the bottom while paying your coach significantly more than the others in your conference????

Bullshitting his way to 20 games was probably the pinnacle for Bronzeing here. Do you think he will be able to recruit any guards better than Boum, Beinemy, and Kennedy that Terry left for him? Which one of his recruits is better than anyone of those 3?

I have already explained the difference between FAU keeping Dusty May for this 5 year and Bronzeing. So I will explain it again. May makes 50% less than Bronzeing. Before this season, FAU was lucky to get 1,000 people in the stands for their games. They had never been in the Top 25 and have been to the NCAAs once in their existence. Those were the only expectations for them. Is the expectation at UTEP to finish at the bottom while paying your coach significantly more than the others in your conference????

Bullshitting his way to 20 games was probably the pinnacle for Bronzeing here. Do you think he will be able to recruit any guards better than Boum, Beinemy, and Kennedy that Terry left for him? Which one of his recruits is better than anyone of those 3?
Depends on if we can pay around $60k for a good high level guard. That’s how much dae dae grant went to Duquesne for and they went from being one of the worst teams in the country to a pretty decent team. Also last years team had a lot of crap happen to them. They lost to UC riverside because two of their guards were out with Covid. Against Bradley, most of their players were playing with food poisoning, including Souley boum, and then Kennedy got hurt after he was taking over the game and having a breakout year. But, no one wants any excuses, in fact looking back now that team should have done a lot more, but let’s see if they can be more successful now with at least some NIL initiative to sell. Too bad bienamy did not stay.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Depends on if we can pay around $60k for a good high level guard. That’s how much dae dae grant went to Duquesne for and they went from being one of the worst teams in the country to a pretty decent team. Also last years team had a lot of crap happen to them. They lost to UC riverside because two of their guards were out with Covid. Against Bradley, most of their players were playing with food poisoning, including Souley boum, and then Kennedy got hurt after he was taking over the game and having a breakout year. But, no one wants any excuses, in fact looking back now that team should have done a lot more, but let’s see if they can be more successful now with at least some NIL initiative to sell. Too bad bienamy did not stay.
Duquesne is 8-6 in a “weak” A-10. Could he have helped? Probably. Do you know for a fact that the ONLY reason he signed there was because of NIL?

So is Bronzeing going to get players better than the 3 I mentioned? If your answer is no, then why should he remain coach?

Speaking of A&M, they are playing really well right now and have a big home game tomorrow night against Tennessee, Gig-em! 👍

Also goes to show that UTEP is a sleeping giant for basketball. Why the school and AD don't shoot for the stars I don't know. The Don would sell out easy if we had championship teams.
Agree 100% with this. Another issue I have with the administration is in my opinion they do not make the games fan friendly. As an example, I have season tickets, so I have a parking pass that’s by the Sun Bowl. Earlier in the season a fan could enter from one of two entrances when driving in from Sun Bowl drive. Lately they have been blocking the first entrance with yellow tape which is now causing a long line just to get into the parking lot. When the game is over, the yellow tape has been removed. Why are they doing this?! The answer better not be that they don’t have enough employees to monitor that entrance because as we walk across the street after parking the car, there is an employee there that does nothing. They don’t even stop traffic to let the people cross the street. Frustrating to watch the games and now adding more frustration dealing with stuff like this, not to mention the heating issues.

Duquesne is 8-6 in a “weak” A-10. Could he have helped? Probably. Do you know for a fact that the ONLY reason he signed there was because of NIL?

So is Bronzeing going to get players better than the 3 I mentioned? If your answer is no, then why should he remain coach?
Is he going to get 3 guys who are as good as boum, Kennedy and bienamy were after they developed for 4, 3, and 2 years at Utep? No probably not, but he can maybe get someone close and then hopefully other guys around them develop over a season or two the way the three you mentioned did. The key this off-season is to retain 5-7 guys and to upgrade talent at the guard spot.

Boum was not an all conference player when he got here, neither was kennedy, bienamy was not that good his first season at Utep.

Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT