ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

This guy is the #1 big in JC. 13.3 rebounds and 2.1 blocked shots per game.

He has offers from UNM, Fresno St., Iona and Miss St.

Last edited:
That was my thought too TRK. Not sure a 6" vert will get it done.
Is he good enough to supplant Maring? Hard to tell. I dint think Kalu is going anywhere, but who knows. I even think he could use a red shirt, but it may be difficult to convince any of these young kids nowadays (especially with the portal).

Is he good enough to supplant Maring? Hard to tell. I dint think Kalu is going anywhere, but who knows. I even think he could use a red shirt, but it may be difficult to convince any of these young kids nowadays (especially with the portal).

Good enough to replace Maring? From that video and Maring's play so far, yes. Maring has really brought nothing to the team. He's a big, lazy player who prefers to launch missed 3s than post up. He hasn't shown any toughness or touch around the basket.

I still think Kalu has potential but he'll need to stick around and keep learning from Golding and staff to really play up to that potential.

Bell looks like the could help on the offensive end. Looks like a good finisher under and around the rim. Only thing is, he only averages 6.6 minutes a game. Another Claude Britten.
In all fairness Claude Britten had heart problems; hence, why he could not finish games.

In all fairness Claude Britten had heart problems; hence, why he could not finish games.
As I remember it, it was lung/breathing issues. Maybe I’m not remembering correctly. Not a knock on Britten at all. Loved his game. Just didn’t get to see much of it.

The point is Bell, like Britten, would be a good player sitting mostly on the bench. We don’t need to waste a schollie on a guy who gives 6-7 minutes a game.

As I remember it, it was lung/breathing issues. Maybe I’m not remembering correctly. Not a knock on Britten at all. Loved his game. Just didn’t get to see much of it.

The point is Bell, like Britten, would be a good player sitting mostly on the bench. We don’t need to waste a schollie on a guy who gives 6-7 minutes a game.
I'm wondering if that 6.6 minutes per game stat is correct? It doesn't seem possible based on Bell's other stats; not to mention his top ten JC player ranking. Odd.

I'm wondering if that 6.6 minutes per game stat is correct? It doesn't seem possible based on Bell's other stats; not to mention his top ten JC player ranking. Odd.
Yeah. Agree. Thought it was odd too. Maybe it’s 16.6 minutes. He looks like a guy who might need a breather now and then. Lol.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Yeah. Agree. Thought it was odd too. Maybe it’s 16.6 minutes. He looks like a guy who might need a breather now and then. Lol.
Yep. Mobility on defense is an obvious issue. It has been an issue with Maring, and it would be with Bell. I actually think Maring is probably more mobile, although he is below average offensively.

Yep. Mobility on defense is an obvious issue. It has been an issue with Maring, and it would be with Bell. I actually think Maring is probably more mobile, although he is below average offensively.
It’s almost like he’d just have to own a 4-5 ft. radius under the hoop. Clog up the lane. Our 4 would have to be very active to make up for Bell’s lack of mobility on the defensive end.

Last edited:
Bell looks like the could help on the offensive end. Looks like a good finisher under and around the rim. Only thing is, he only averages 6.6 minutes a game. Another Claude Britten.
He is playing probably 20 minutes a game in JC. Played 34 minutes in their last game. That 6.6 is inaccurate.

I think we've had this Britton discussion too. He had breathing issues, but was very athletic and a strong finisher for his size (even though a bunch here remembered otherwise). I remember him literally taking over the that 3OT UAB game in the last 10 minutes or so.

I remember it. Tough interior post player. He was no John Tofi or Cedric Lang , but a presence and tough to push around. Gave good support for Moultrie (who had a great freshman year no one saw coming). Almost like a Tydus/Bryson Williams type duo.

Reactions: MinerManiac
He is playing probably 20 minutes a game in JC. Played 34 minutes in their last game. That 6.6 is inaccurate.

I think we've had this Britton discussion too. He had breathing issues, but was very athletic and a strong finisher for his size (even though a bunch here remembered otherwise). I remember him literally taking over the that 3OT UAB game in the last 10 minutes or so.
I thought Britten was solid, especially on the offensive end. Unfortunately, I think I lot of us still remember him for that point blank miss in the final minutes versus Memphis in the CUSA tourney. Those final minutes of that game are still painful to think about. There were several goats for us that day, including RC, who had a really bad day overall. That said, I would take a guy like Britten over a lot of guys even with his health issues.

He had such a soft touch around the rim for such a big guy. Always wished he could give more minutes. He was solid…aside from the fact that he was off the court more than on it. He averaged like 10-11 minutes a game over his career.

....His health problems and lack of defense were a problem
Everybody was eating crow, his teammates too. I remember (then) players admitting to local media how they were perplexed by his productivity especially given Barbee's hellish workout regimen and he should have easily been able to last a full game, but he couldn't.

oops-whoopsies.gif

I do remember teicher specifically mentioning a heart issue. He almost wasn't clear to play. It always felt like we were getting buckets when he checked in, though....

I thought this was pretty interesting. Isaiah Carr from Las Cruces HS signed with Grand Canyon and they made him a Billboard.

Reactions: jdubb66
Joe Pleasant isn't doing much at Wichita State. Dude was good for 10 and 5 his last two years at ACU. Maybe he reunites with Golding for his last season.
I think Golding would definitely take him if he wants to come, but I'm not sure that he is what we need for this particular team. I guess he could take over Sibleys starting spot for a year. Believe it or not though Sibley leads the team in rebounds and blocked shots in conference play (4.8 and 1.3).

I've been gone for a while but came back to say...

I hope UTEP takes a look at UNLV guard Marvin Coleman. One year of eligibility left (ala Hollins this year). MC announced he's in transfer portal. Had a triple double two seasons ago (first at UNLV in like 29 years). Would be a great compliment to JB and a spark off the bench. I'm a Rebel season ticket holder and I LOVE his game

Reactions: develman
I think Tydus and Kennedy return
I hope you're right.

I heard from somebody who heard from somebody who evidently heard from somebody that Kennedy may not be back. LOL! Considering how far down the stream I am in this passing of info, I asked the person who told me if he considered his source legit. He said solid source. That makes me nervous.

However, I'm just gonna ride the season out and accept that the cards will fall where they may. I trust Golding is taking this program in the right direction and we will be back. That, and I still hold out hope that we can somehow string 4 games together. It isn't exactly rare that a 3, 4, 5, 6 seed in a conference tourney gets hot and runs the table...especially amongst the mid major conferences. Here's to hoping for a nice run over the next few days!!

Why would JB stay if Boum and Kennedy leave? It would be a rebuilt, unless Golding can bring in stud replacements.

Why would they have all stayed this year just to leave now?

Like I said before, if everybody leaves it will be hard for me to maintain interest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT