ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP BB Recruiting Class

Yep these homers are funny. Their perception is way off from reality. Barbee's teams improved every year and they played in better competition. And I have heard that funny Caracter excuse before and I just throw my hands up in the air and tell myself I can't believe people are that stupid. Character was a very good player but it just wasn't him. He only played half the season. That was just a very good team that year. We had a true PG in Stone. Floyd is yet to find one in 5 years. All of Barbee's signed recruiting class players made it to campus every year. Floyd's tenure here has been a mess. It is sad that the bar has been lowered for UTEP basketball when it was once set high. Now as long as Floyd beats a team like Auburn in the non-conference schedule and wins 20 plus games in a weak ass CUSA the season was a huge success. And not making the NCAA Tourney is perfectly ok with Floyd because he doesn't have a Caracter type player.

Yup. Unless you say "Tim Floyd is the greatest", "The 1966 Championship is still relevant and awesome", "We should be in the Top 25 and NCAAs for sure next season", or "CUSA deserves 4 NCAA bids"; you're labeled a troll or a hater.

What's wrong with having truths and facts in your posts? Tim Floyd has done a crappy job here. Only a handful will admit that. Their solution is selling out the Don. How much you wanna bet that the year Davidson made the Elite 8, they didnt come close to matching our attendance numbers that year. Same for FGCU when they made the Sweet 16 3 years ago. According to people here, these players can only win games in front of 12,000 fans.

Last edited:
It's not because you state facts Carlos it's because you are a freaking ass....and a nmsu fan...and I guess have nothing left to do other than try to irritate people online....sad, sad, sad

Here we go again, if you don't say Floyd is the greatest and is doing a great job here...you are an NMSU fan. What if he is just a fan that expects more from Floyd and UTEP basketball. Floyd has had more resources given to him at UTEP than BG, DOC, and Barbee had. And BG, DOC, and Barbee all got into the NCAA Tourney within 4 years in a much tougher conference.

NMSU fan? That's the best you have? I don't try to irritate people. Why would someone get irritated over someone's rational views? I'm not on here saying that UTEP should go D2, fire Floyd, and hire Montwood High's coach. Sorry, you don't like my opinion. You may continue to bask in the glory of a 50 year championship and 5 NCAA-less years under Floyd.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Here we go again, if you don't say Floyd is the greatest and is doing a great job here...you are an NMSU fan. What if he is just a fan that expects more from Floyd and UTEP basketball. Floyd has had more resources given to him at UTEP than BG, DOC, and Barbee had. And BG, DOC, and Barbee all got into the NCAA Tourney within 4 years in a much tougher conference.

Exactly. A lot of these posters have no common sense, or at least don't show it in their posts. Imagine if you're the boss of a car dealership and you have some old guy working there, who hasn't sold more than 12 cars in a year since 1992. Always talking about the good old days, he sees others come in, sell more and move on to bigger and better things. He constantly comes up with lame excuses about why his sales suck. "The Las Cruces dealership gets bank loans for customers with bad credit", "Our service department needs more staff and quicker oil changes" blah blah blah. So if you're that persons boss, would you keep him around? He lives in the past, his current results suck, and his solutions are poorly thought-out nonsense.

While those names are "big", when you look at the wins, they aren't that impressive.

Michigan - probably Floyd most "impressive" win here. On a neutral court, Miners had lost to GaTech right before. Oh and ZERO Floyd recruits were on that team. Coincidence?

Memphis - same year as Michigan game, but Memphis was in our conference then and we lost to them when it MATTERED. If you think a conference home game vs an unranked team is big, then okay!

Tennessee - Who can forget beating the Vols, and then getting wiped out by Iowa the next night in the Bahamas. Miners were able to capitalize on this win a few weeks later by losing at home to New Orleans (no, not the Pelicans) and by making the CBI, losing in the first round of course.

Xavier - Another solid win on a neutral court, of course the Miners lost to an awful Washington team in the championship and lost to an injury riddled NMSU team a week later. Landmark victory I suppose!

Oregon - Who can forget that 3 OT classic win at the Don vs Oregon. Especially after UTEP went 0-3 in the Old Spice Classic. 2 of the games in blowout fashion. Oregon actually ended up playing pretty well at the end, unlike UTEP who didn't even play in the CIT or CBI.

Clemson - Another neutral court win over a team that went 16-15 that win. Awesome!

Auburn - Who can forget that win over Auburn in the same tournament? Auburn hasnt been to the NCAA Tournament since 2003. If you're counting them a big name, then it shows you how there is nothing to show for. Why didn't you count Washington St or Kent St then? UTEP had a losing record the year they beat Clemson and Auburn. Just like all Floyd teams, they couldn't capitalize on their good wins, because they followed them with bad losses. What do all those games up there have in common? None were played on the road. Either neutral site or home game. Floyd's attempts versus good teams on the road is awful. BYU, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado St, Oregon, UNLV, Murray St - all winnable games, but ZERO wins.

The football team hasn't beat a P5 since 1967, but we're a "basketball school" right? The football team is making progress, but anytime they play a P5 school, I will pick them to lose until they beat one.

I'm glad you can make up your own rules how they don't count. Xavier did well in the dance, Vols went to the dance, Memphis went dancing; those same years for each one of those years UTEP beat them. Amazing how you can throw in the Washington game as nothing. I guess you didn't watch the Arizona/Huskies game on ESPN for 1st in the PAC 12 (Which Arizona totally dominated unlike the Arizona UTEP game). Clemson and Auburn were avg. wins, I'll give you that.

Take a hypothetical situation, if NMSU was in CUSA and UTEP was in the WAC, you would say NMSU can't get in because CUSA is a tough league that gets no respect, blah, blah, blah and of course UTEP wins the WAC every year, the league sucks and is watered down.

Reactions: redrob
I'm glad you can make up your own rules how they don't count. Xavier did well in the dance, Vols went to the dance, Memphis went dancing; those same years for each one of those years UTEP beat them. Amazing how you can throw in the Washington game as nothing. I guess you didn't watch the Arizona/Huskies game on ESPN for 1st in the PAC 12 (Which Arizona totally dominated unlike the Arizona UTEP game). Clemson and Auburn were avg. wins, I'll give you that.

Take a hypothetical situation, if NMSU was in CUSA and UTEP was in the WAC, you would say NMSU can't get in because CUSA is a tough league that gets no respect, blah, blah, blah and of course UTEP wins the WAC every year, the league sucks and is watered down.

Xavier did do well in the Dance, how did the Miners capitalize on that win? Tennessee did end up doing well that year too, but the Miners got smashed the next night by Iowa. How big did that win end up being? Memphis went to the dance because they beat us on our our home floor when the bid was on the line. What difference did it make that we blew them out weeks earlier? They won when it mattered. Which win would you rather have?

Washington, really? After their 11-0 start they went 5-15, are you trying to tell me they were a good team? They didn't make the NCAA, NIT, or CBI, and finished next to last in the Pac 12. They didn't play Arizona until they were 3-8 in the Pac 12. Not sure what game you were watching. Must be part of the Floyd revisionist history going on there.

I don't even know what point you're trying to make about NMSU. I wouldn't care if NMSU got in the tournament or not, whether they're in the WAC or CUSA. Right now, I would rather be in the WAC going to the NCAAs every year than be in CUSA, barely making the NIT. NMSU wins when it matters (WAC Tournament), they take care of their business during conference play. We don't. We struggle versus FAU, FIU, and Southern Miss. We're awesome!

Who cares if we beat Xavier and they made it far in the NCAA Tourney when we can't even beat Middle Tennessee to reach the CUSA Tourney Finals. Floyd's teams play good in the non conference part of the season and then regress in CUSA play.

If NMSU played in CUSA, they would have made it to the NCAA Tourney at least once in CUSA. Floyd hasn't even been close with his players. Its hard to admit this but it is true.

Exactly. A lot of these posters have no common sense, or at least don't show it in their posts. Imagine if you're the boss of a car dealership and you have some old guy working there, who hasn't sold more than 12 cars in a year since 1992. Always talking about the good old days, he sees others come in, sell more and move on to bigger and better things. He constantly comes up with lame excuses about why his sales suck. "The Las Cruces dealership gets bank loans for customers with bad credit", "Our service department needs more staff and quicker oil changes" blah blah blah. So if you're that persons boss, would you keep him around? He lives in the past, his current results suck, and his solutions are poorly thought-out nonsense.
Yep very true. Its just sad that people are happy living in the past than wanting to make the NCAA Tourney and make people respect UTEP basketball like they did in the past. If Barbee was coach and did the same job Floyd has done, they would be calling for his head.

I'm sorry but nmsu would have never made the dance playing in Cusa.... Sorry to burst your bubble....it's funny watching epcarlos and all his personalities post...

Reactions: roundsound11
And I don't understand what your point is...

Carlos first post in the forum..... Utep sucks and can't do anything right
Carlos last post in the forum...... Utep sucks and can't do anything right
All Carlos posts in the middle.... Utep sucks and can't do anything right and barbee would've won already..

You shouldn't even post... Just hit reply and leave it blank because we all know what your gonna say

I'm sorry but nmsu would have never made the dance playing in Cusa.... Sorry to burst your bubble....it's funny watching epcarlos and all his personalities post...

It's funny to see how posters think that just because someone is dissatisfied with the program, they must be the same person. Okay detective.

Who cares if NMSU would have done this this or this? According to most of you, UTEP plays in a better league, has better players, better coaches and has better facilities than NMSU. Shouldn't the Miners be able to handle the upgrade of CUSA over the WAC? Since the WAC is so awful and NMSU sucks.

Tim Floyd's great players couldn't even beat a depleted NMSU squad last season. NMSU handles their business, maybe one day UTEP will too.

OH OH Carlos aka epchih made himself a new name "Epsolin" to back himself with a third party-himself

I want to say it's kind of funny, but then again it could be said it's pretty sad too.

GO MINERS

Last edited:
Reactions: roundsound11
OH OH Carlos aka epchih made himself a new name "Epsolin" to back himself with a third party-himself

GO MINERS
That's true. Those are the only 3 I have on ignore and the board looks a lot less like a pile of $#!&. But look what has happened to the topic. It's all about Chi/Music/Carlos now. Just the way he likes it.
If we all used Ignore this couldn't happen. A moderator could fix the problem but that's not gonna happen.

Just wondering- why do you think NMSU wouldn't have made the dance in Conference USA?

It's funny that you think people with similar opinions are the same people posting.

Seriously NMSU is a low major and plays in one of the three worst conferences in the NCAA. C-USA is by no means a world beater but its a hell of lot better than the WAC. NMSU would not win C -USA.

I dont think losing to NMSU is acceptable. Even in down years like last year UNM almost always sweeps nmsu. We should expect the same thing.

Reactions: STCarlosEP
Seriously NMSU is a low major and plays in one of the three worst conferences in the NCAA. C-USA is by no means a world beater but its a hell of lot better than the WAC. NMSU would not win C -USA.

I dont think losing to NMSU is acceptable. Even in down years like last year UNM almost always sweeps nmsu. We should expect the same thing.

I could see losing to them when they're having a really good year and UTEP is having a bad year. Like I said before, if UTEP is better at these things, why don't we slaughter them every time we play?

Like it or not, NMSU is doing well with the hand they were dealt. What's UTEPs excuse?

`

Thats funny how you call NMSU a low major but they have gone 5-3 against us the past 4 years. And usually their victories over us are double digits and our victories over NMSU are by like 3 or 4 points. They would have made the NCAA Tourney at least once if they played in CUSA. Its funny how some of these UTEP fans talk down on NMSU but they have a 5-3 record against us and have made the NCAA tourney 4 years in a row. But UTEP is so much better in basketball.

Both UTEP and NMSU have an easy road to the NCAA Tourney with they weak conferences they play in. NMSU finds a way to win and we just find a million excuses. These are just more reasons that prove Floyd is doing a bad job here.

Last edited:
NMSU is a low major. When you win the regular season and tournament championship and get a 15 seed you are a low major. Now in Floyd's fifth season the fact that we are losing to nmsu, marshall usm is completely unacceptable. The program has definately underperformed and is nationally irrelevant. Thats all on Floyd. However, to infer that NMSU would have gone to the tournament in cusa is ludricrous and you have to suspend reality to believe it.

Here's the honest truth. Tim Floyd gets a C for his UTEP tenure. Good teams but nothing to get excited about. NMSU has a better program right now then UTEP. Better players and they play well together. Menzies is underrated and they would be a top 2 to 3 team in CUSA every year.

No spin just the truth!

Tim Floyd sucks! Bring on Carlitos!!! He'll do it right, I mean come on... He knows the truth, he can decipher any posting, no matter how big or short! He will call it like it is, he owns ZERO orange shaded glasses, Carlos, he's your man!! YES, YES, YES!!!

-Ad paid for by: snacks4nmsu.org

Here's the honest truth. Tim Floyd gets a C for his UTEP tenure. Good teams but nothing to get excited about. NMSU has a better program right now then UTEP. Better players and they play well together. Menzies is underrated and they would be a top 2 to 3 team in CUSA every year.

No spin just the truth!

Get outta here you filthy troll! Facts are not welcomed here.

Reactions: Epsilon00
Thats right MinerDave, those facts aren't welcomed here. UTEP basketball is the greatest and we have the best coach in the country. If NMSU is so good then why isn't Kentucky scared to play them like they are of UTEP? We don't care about the present but we have an amazing past in basketball. The 1966 and 1992 team would have dominated CUSA.

STCarlosEP: "It's funny to see how posters think that just because someone is dissatisfied with the program, they must be the same person."

Chiwaaaawaaaaa: "It's funny that you think people with similar opinions are the same people posting."

Okay guys, I mean "guy", just give it up already.......

"Minerforlife, says: NMSU is a low major. When you win the regular season and tournament championship and get a 15 seed you are a low major.
UAB was a 14th seed and the only representative from CUSA. So, how do you explain that? It is not a reach to think that NMSU could win CUSA. CUSA can only muster one bid each year and there are twice as many teams than the WAC.

UAB was 15-14 going into the conference tournament. They werent going to get an nit invite much less tournament invite. NMSU on the other hand only loss one conference game and dominated their conference tournament, yet they they still got a lower seed than a mediocre UAB squad. If odu or la tech had won the tournament they get an 11 seed. ODU might have gotten a 10.

Im not trying to inflate cusa. Its a one bid league and UTEP's performance under floyd has been unnaceptable. However nmsu is on the same level as texas southern a 15 seed is all they can hope for. When you dominate your conference in the regular and postseason and get a 15 seed you're a low major no getting around it. That makes UTEP losing to nmsu all the more embarrassing

STCarlosEP: "It's funny to see how posters think that just because someone is dissatisfied with the program, they must be the same person."

Chiwaaaawaaaaa: "It's funny that you think people with similar opinions are the same people posting."

Wow Sherlock! I guess no two people can say similar things. According to you, a lot of the realists must be the same person.

And I don't understand what your point is...

Carlos first post in the forum..... Utep sucks and can't do anything right
Carlos last post in the forum...... Utep sucks and can't do anything right
All Carlos posts in the middle.... Utep sucks and can't do anything right and barbee would've won already..

You shouldn't even post... Just hit reply and leave it blank because we all know what your gonna say

Look at their use of "......" and the spacing between parts of their posts. Looks like PURPLEFIRE and JeepJackson22 are the same person! Busted guy!

UAB was 15-14 going into the conference tournament. They werent going to get an nit invite much less tournament invite. NMSU on the other hand only loss one conference game and dominated their conference tournament, yet they they still got a lower seed than a mediocre UAB squad. If odu or la tech had won the tournament they get an 11 seed. ODU might have gotten a 10.

Im not trying to inflate cusa. Its a one bid league and UTEP's performance under floyd has been unnaceptable. However nmsu is on the same level as texas southern a 15 seed is all they can hope for. When you dominate your conference in the regular and postseason and get a 15 seed you're a low major no getting around it. That makes UTEP losing to nmsu all the more embarrassing

NMSU received a poor seed because of their bad Non-con record as well as the WAC having too many crappy teams. I do not think NMSU is on the same level as Texas Southern, they just don't play in a very good league. Had NMSU not lost to Oral Roberts, St. Marys, and split with UNM or swept them, they would have had a better seed.

Music = Chiwaaawaaa = STCarlos.......................not just similar things, but the exact same tone, word usage, constant negativity, I'm always right, answering questions with a question, etc. - and it doesn't take Sherlock to figure it out...

Jeez you people are effing ridiculous.

STCarlos opinions are valid whether anyone likes them or not. The problem with you (Carlos) is that you post them on every damn thread. We get it-- you don't like Floyd. I don't disagree with many of your sentiments on him or the program as a whole. At this point, however, you've made your case. You don't need to post the Floyd bashing on every damn thread...K?

As for many of you homers, ya'll need to quit acting like Floyd deserves defending at this point. Any reasonable person can agree that Floyd's tenure has been mediocre at best, regardless of the multitude of excuses . If you feel he's still the right man for the job, that's great. You may be right in the long run. It is, however, ridiculous to expect the same optimism from every fan given the 6 years of mediocrity.

If Floyd returns, then so be it. I'll hold my breath for some positive results. If he leaves, then so be it. I'll hold my breath for some positive results from the new coach. Either way, I just want some sort of national success to occur before I become too old and senile to witness it......

I hear ya USAF. If posters are gonna come on here and say something, I expect them to have something to back it up. That's why most threads go the way they go.

Maybe if some posters could "grow up" and not take sports so seriously, they wouldn't be so defensive about UTEP hoops being nationally irrelevant. Thanks for your well thought out response.

USAF the difference is that we don't glorified Coach Floyd on the other hand Stupid Carlos, Chihuas and
sometime you bash Coach Floyd every time you guys get a chance. We are also frustrated but it is not
going to help bashing someone, it's getting old you know.
Some people argue about Barbie, BG and Doc were much better coaches. The only coach that I saw
being successful was BG. Doc and Barbie failed. I can bet you 1K of mulla that
if we get another young coach and he starts winning he will be gone faster than you can think.

Go Miners...

USAF the difference is that we don't glorified Coach Floyd on the other hand Stupid Carlos, Chihuas and
sometime you bash Coach Floyd every time you guys get a chance. We are also frustrated but it is not
going to help bashing someone, it's getting old you know.
Some people argue about Barbie, BG and Doc were much better coaches. The only coach that I saw
being successful was BG. Doc and Barbie failed. I can bet you 1K of mulla that
if we get another young coach and he starts winning he will be gone faster than you can think.

Go Miners...

This has to be the dumbest post of the year and it's no surprise it's from a guy calling himself "HaskinsFan". Yeah Barbee and Doc were such failures they doubled their salary and received buyouts. Then they went to Kansas and Kentucky to be assistant coaches. What failures those guys were!

Your last point about a new coach leaving is also stupid. You're telling me you would rather have a coach here for 6 years and never reach the NCAAs then have a coach here from 2-4 years, make the dance, then leave? You are the type of fans that would rather have mediocre results than want more. Get it through your brain. There will be no more coaches like Haskins here. Everyone on here would leave to a new job if another employer doubled their pay and gave them more visibility.

Fans like you are the reason why UTEP basketball is irrelevant. Stull knows morons like you will support anything Haskins related.

Haskins fan how, by any measure, was Barbee a failure? He brought in probably the best group of players since the 80's. And they were all good kids as well. We won a pretty good CUSA regular season championship, etc

Yeah and now he's an assistant at Kentucky probably making more than Floyd. He was in the running for the Nevada job and will probably be in the running for jobs next year. I for one am glad he is gone. I hated watching entertaining basketball, winning a CUSA championship and making the 2010 NCAA Tournament! Thank God Floyd is here now!

Music = Chiwaaawaaa = STCarlos.......................not just similar things, but the exact same tone, word usage, constant negativity, I'm always right, answering questions with a question, etc. - and it doesn't take Sherlock to figure it out...

It seems like you have a weird obsession with us considering all you post about are how we are the same person. We are not the same person, but if it makes it any easier and since it seems like you have no life and it seems like you need some excitement in your life, just believe we are all the same person. It will make things a lot easier for all of us. Hopefully this will bring some excitement to your life.

Yep, that's ALL I post about, giving yourself too much credit, as usual.............................2,115 posts in about a year, yeah, that = no life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT