ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP conference movement rumor from kyyote's den

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
Since we are in a mostly boring part of the athletic year, I thought I would point out that posters on kyyote's site are saying they have very reliable sources claiming UTEP is soon to make a conference move of some kind. I have no idea how valid the info is but it is interesting since I don't believe that the posters in question are in the habit of spinning wild ass rumors. Back in December the MWC spent part of their meetings discussing Rice and UTEP but said no expansion was imminent. So are Rice and UTEP headed to the MWC?

Has it been four months already? I feel a beat writers article in the works, as it's between seasons or a board in need of a boost in traffic. (nothing gets a slow board going like expansion talk). I would love for UTEP to find a better home conference wise but I have never seen any evidence to verify, only an uninformed online article, posts with sources linked to other posts. I have seen a statement form the MWC office that expansion is not being considered at this time, SJSU and Hawaii making greater monetary commitment to athletics and conference affiliation and zero comment by UTEP on movement but many statement's affirming CUSA as our current and future conference affiliation. This is and has been nothing more than a rumor (perhaps a dream for some) but with not a single piece of evidence to verify (and mounting evidence to disprove it) it remains only a dream.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
Wow they seem not to like the idea of Utep joining mountain west. The ones in mountain west board. They act as if Boise or Wyoming or even Fresno are better places.

Wow they seem not to like the idea of Utep joining mountain west. The ones in mountain west board. They act as if Boise or Wyoming or even Fresno are better places.

Its funny that a Utah St guy is saying that we don't add much of a media market. What did Logan add?

Reactions: FiliUTEP
I think it was the Nevada fan that called el paso armpit of Texas. Reno isn't that great. I believe it's number 1 in nation for meth users.

Reactions: picks up
What exactly is a 'proposal to join another conference'? Who's proposing to who? Where is the proposal being made? And, how big is the diamond?

I agree with you but these are the same people who left us high and dry years ago.

I've been going to their site(never posted) for a couple of years now just because we(UTEP) are brought up once in awhile, especially when it comes to expansion talks and I have to say the like to hate ratio is probably about 60 to 40. Leading the hate group is a douche bag from SDSU by the name of SleepingGiantsFan. He's the one that always calls us "El Armpit." He's really got it in for us and when somebody harbors that much hate for our beautiful city, it's not because of our mountains or our facilities...it usually comes down to our demographics, what else is new. The guy sounds like the typical Trump supporter. Anyways, we do have our supporters and the UNM and Wyoming fans constantly stick up for us. Lol, one more thing, it's hilarious that UTSA is a highly desirable school from some because of their "potential."

Reactions: FeralFelidae
So I was thinking about this a little and here is my question: When Zach Greenlee was released from Fresno State, Fresno said that he was not allowed to transfer to a "Mountain West School, Utah, Colorado, or Oregon State". So if UTEP is going to join the Mountain West, then why would Fresno have allowed Greenlee to transfer to UTEP, knowing that Fresno might have to play against UTEP & Greenlee in the 2017 MWC season?

So I was thinking about this a little and here is my question: When Zach Greenlee was released from Fresno State, Fresno said that he was not allowed to transfer to a "Mountain West School, Utah, Colorado, or Oregon State". So if UTEP is going to join the Mountain West, then why would Fresno have allowed Greenlee to transfer to UTEP, knowing that Fresno might have to play against UTEP & Greenlee in the 2017 MWC season?

Because the rumors are saying it will be months until official announcement so 2018 at the earliest? Second, how was Fresno supposed to know? Don't allow a transfer based on rumor and speculation? Third, he's just a Kugler security blanket. Do you all seriously think Kugler would give him a legit shot at the starting position? Kugler has put in a ton of "political capital", so to speak, as a head coach for UTEP to recruit Leftwich and Kavika to UTEP. With Lefty gone, Kavika will be starting against NMSU. If Kavika has any pride, he will make damn sure that stays a reality since he was a top NMSU recruit while at Mayfield High. Metz and Greenlee will be in the bullpen waiting for the song "Wild Thing" to be playing on the pa system if Kavika goes down.

BTW, NMSU is sitting in the bleachers during prom night playing pocket pool waiting to see which schools bolt or drop. As of this evening, UTEP is rumored to move to the MWC and the Eastern Michigan University student body and faculty have "proposed" that their football program be dropped "immediately" from the MAC. They have lost $57 million in the last two years alone and believe staying in D1 football is a losing proposition and for the athletic department to get their heads out of their arse and stop throwing away that much money and saying "things are getting better".

If NMSU student body does what EMU student body did (led by a faculty member), FBS football at NMSU is done.

I know some of you guys know more about the inner workings of the UTEP Athletic dept. so please correct me if I am wrong. I thought I had read somewhere that UTEP is not allowed to spend any of it's money alloted for academics to offset their athletic budget.

I know some of you guys know more about the inner workings of the UTEP Athletic dept. so please correct me if I am wrong. I thought I had read somewhere that UTEP is not allowed to spend any of it's money alloted for academics to offset their athletic budget.

Here is a link to a recent article that explains UTEP's budget. Good info and academic money is not used for UTEP athletics. Also, we need to remember that there is a positive economic impact on El Paso due to UTEP athletics.

http://www.elpasoinc.com/columns/local_columnists/article_db5faea6-f84e-11e5-8447-afec2b013db1.html

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT