ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP football coordinators will not return..

My biggest complaint with Kugler this year was building the offense around Jones. Everyone knew he wasnt durable and wouldnt last the season. I expect Jones role to be drastically changed next season. I expect to see him split out more and used in the back field as a third down back. If we have learned anything the past three seasons its thats jones isnt a feature back.
He can be a key piece of the offense and is definitely a weapon but he cant be the focal point of the offense.

Kug's is getting ready to call you to be his consultant.

Spot on!

My biggest complaint with Kugler this year was building the offense around Jones. Everyone knew he wasnt durable and wouldnt last the season. I expect Jones role to be drastically changed next season. I expect to see him split out more and used in the back field as a third down back. If we have learned anything the past three seasons its thats jones isnt a feature back.
He can be a key piece of the offense and is definitely a weapon but he cant be the focal point of the offense.

A....M...E...N

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
My biggest complaint with Kugler this year was building the offense around Jones.

This year? This is Jones' third year at UTEP. He's missed 15 games to injury during two of his three seasons in Kugler's offense. It was pointed out ad nauseum BEFORE Jones' season-ending injury this year that Kugler was running Jones into the ground, that he was not a between the tackles, 22-24 touch per game feature back. Nothing new about this season, just more of the same.

Last edited:
This year? This is Jones' third year at UTEP. He's missed 15 games to injury during two of his three seasons in Kugler's offense. It was pointed out ad nauseum BEFORE Jones' season-ending injury this year that Kugler was running Jones into the ground, that he was not a between the tackles, 22-24 touch per game feature back. Nothing new about this season, just more of the same.

The difference between this year and the prior years was there was no other back. His first two years he split carries with Jeffrey. Granted as the season went on Jones got more carries but Jeffery was a more than capable back who took some of the load. This season there was nobody waiting in the wings or prepared to take carries. It well be might have been the plan for Hamm to be the guy to help carry the load. When Hamm was kicked off the team it was like there was no backup plan. Jones is not durable everyone knew he would miss games.

Check the touches. Kugler was dead set from jump start on making Jones the El Paso face of his program at the sacrifice of Jones' health, of offensive balance, or overall player development. Between that and running off other talented kids, you have the blueprint for the disaster that became 2015.

Some UTEP folks I've talked to think think Sean Kugler will be Bob Stull's last FB hire, regardless of how much additional time he gets via releasing staff. Several reasons. First, age. Stull's in his late 60s, he may not need it anymore, fire in the belly growing dim. Who knows?

Second, Stull has simply been unable to produce championships - football or basketball - in a league that some feel should be tailor-made for UTEP success. Frankly that's on HIS boss, she's obviously satisfied with UTEP's station in life, else you'd have heard/seen differently (see Rutgers yesterday, fired both HC and AD).

Third, and most important, Stull bet heavily on Kugler. With his arrogance and "committee of one" selection process, Stull went WAY out on a limb hiring a coach with zero Texas HS recruiting roots, zero HC or coordinator experience at any level, and minimal experience in dealing with college football players, programs or assistants. Other than all that, he was the obvious choice for the job. Kugler was pure and simple a nepotism hire and a gamble by Stull.

Now, if it all works, Stull looks like a genius - former player/favorite son/Stull prodigy returns home, El Paso-centric rosters, etc. But it's hardly a good sign when you're ditching coordinators and staff after three seasons at the VERY point in time when your program should be ready to blossom. New faces, systems, schemes, terminology, etc. - no matter the justification, for a ton of reasons, it's never a good thing for the players to change staff in "mid-administration".

Bottom line, if Kugler's got a coaching bone in his body, he's better get it right over the next couple of months (e.g. right staff hires, breakout recruiting class, key QB/JC adds, etc.), or both he and his AD meal ticket may well ride into the sunset on the same pony...
Kugler showed this season that he has "a coaching bone in his body". He dealt with a season of extreme injuries to what? Some 16-17 players who were either starters or 2nd team guys who were slated to play a lot. He had to put freshmen on the field and managed to keep his team competitive and playing hard. If some of you football "geniuses" knew much of anything about the game you'd realize that Kugler is a very good young coach who has come here and laid the foundation for a solid program. That earns my respect and I believe that UTEP will reap the rewards for the travails of this season as soon as next year. When that happens I expect the doom sayers will suddenly "get religion" or simply mercifully fade into the El Paso sunset.

Kugler showed this season that he has "a coaching bone in his body". He dealt with a season of extreme injuries to what? Some 16-17 players who were either starters or 2nd team guys who were slated to play a lot. He had to put freshmen on the field and managed to keep his team competitive and playing hard. If some of you football "geniuses" knew much of anything about the game you'd realize that Kugler is a very good young coach who has come here and laid the foundation for a solid program. That earns my respect and I believe that UTEP will reap the rewards for the travails of this season as soon as next year. When that happens I expect the doom sayers will suddenly "get religion" or simply mercifully fade into the El Paso sunset.

I think you've missed the point of everyone's commentary (at least the primary posters) for the entire season. No one said Kug's couldn't coach or was a horrible coach. No one. The well deserved criticism has been pretty much centered the entire season. The focus on his dedication to the running game to the detriment of developing a much needed passing game, ie Balance. The other is or was his stubbornness to change it. He only started going vertical when Jones got hurt and the run game ground itself to a halt. Lastly, his loyalty to Higgins and Stoker's offense and defense philosophies, schemes and strategies. Fortunately Kug's corrected the later and hopefully with a new staff, he'll get one and two adjusted as well.

Although we all differ in how to get there, everyone wants the program to be successful, including the "geniuses."

Totally agree with Imaminer. All these "geniuses" that throw around their "Kugler thinks this" and "Kugler thinks that" need to tell me how they managed to tap his phone. The fact is, I bitched loud and clear about the the Offensive Coordinators (and to a certain extent the DC's) play calling. I spent half of my time at the games in a state of fury. But I always assumed that Kugler was doing the right thing and delegating and not micromanaging. That's what a true executive does. But based on his accountability mantra, I was gratified and relieved when he held his coordinators accountable and fired them!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT