ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP/NMSU Conference Mates

UTEP and NMSU should be in the same conference

• Hell yes!

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Fvck no!

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters
I would prefer UTEP in the MW. I would much rather travel west. I think both major sports are better in the MW also. Too bad our administration and ADs have shit on themselves the past 10 years. NMSU can take our spot in CUSA/sun belt.

I really wish Paul Foster were somehow involved with UTEP in a hands on manner. I think he could right the ship and move it past this sinkhole. There is just so much more UTEP could be athletically.

I would prefer UTEP in the MW. I would much rather travel west. I think both major sports are better in the MW also. Too bad our administration and ADs have shit on themselves the past 10 years. NMSU can take our spot in CUSA/sun belt.

Thats not an option though or part of the question. 99% of Miner fans would believe the MWC is where we belong and the other 1% would be delusional about it and pick the Big/Pac 12.

Simple:

"In 1999, following a “secret coup” meeting at the Denver International Airport, eight schools—Air Force, Brigham Young, Colorado State, New Mexico, San Diego State, UNLV, Utah, and Wyoming—broke away from the Western Athletic Conference (WAC). They formed the Mountain West Conference (MWC)."https://mwwire.com/2017/11/16/hawaiis-fight-against-the-formation-of-the-mountain-west/

UTEP (and Hawaii) got jilted because BYU said the Miner football program brought down the conference and they can save a boatload by keeping Hawaii off the budget. The truth be told was that for decades going back to the late fifties, yes the late 50's, BYU had been trying to be a "player and kingmaker" for western U.S. college football.

"At the same time [1959], BYU looked to organize another league in the West and met with representatives from Oregon, Oregon State, Washington State, Arizona, Arizona State, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming. Washington State joined the Big Five (making it the Big Six) in 1962, while Oregon and Oregon State decidednot to join any conferences. "

My point is UTEP has enough managing their house especially due to the disaster of the football program and now looking questionable move of hiring Dimel (who has now changed the narrative that he would only coach the program if given five years at the very least which is a slight of hand play on his hiring). UTEP and Hawaii were a burden to their bottom line. I don't want UTEP to ever go thru that again. I am not going to get into Diana Natalicio could have gotten UTEP into the MWC. Yes, it's true. My point is UTEP has to be top dawg in the conference in basketball and competitive for football. Now, add NMSU and who heaven's name wants us both in the same conference? AD's would be leaning over and whispering in Senter's ear "Didn't you all go thru this with the WAC split?"

I said two days ago and I say it now and that is NMSU is hot mess. Their budget is razor thin, swiss cheese actually and the land grant school cut women's equestrian sports to save football. NMSU athletics is now supported by the "money games" in football. In the Pre Covid19 D1 world, you're supposed to do the opposite: Football (and mens basketball) are the cash cow for women's sports. The Sun Belt booted them. They were under state investigation very recently (Martin was cleared of all wrong doing). Jans was offered ETSU job and almost took it but unknown influences came in and he said he would be staying.

Keep the rivalry. It has a deep history, known in D1 college athletics, means a ton to both schools (especially when both programs are above mediocre for any given year), means a lot to both communities, we are neighbors and it is fun.

Stay away from same conference affiliation. Both budgets are small, both schools are far to travel too (it's far travel for Wyoming), the EP TV market is in the top 100 but that is not a major attraction by conjoining at the hip and is not attractive to other regions. FAU and FIU offer attractive regions and markets, Charlotte as well and UTEP gets east coast pub and not just in state.

Otherwise, it will be for both, like what after a few years of frustration if any conference and not just MW brings on UTEP and NMSU.....

giphy.gif

You want to go through that again?

Source for most of this story: PETE MISTHAUFEN AUGUST 24, 2009 "Dude, where is your conference, Karl? Looking at the WAC."

Last edited:
There’s only two of us in our region. We need to have each other’s back.
They do. Both have a signed written agreement for the I-10 rivalry with a business entity.

I just don't get "they need to be in the same conference" debate? There is nothing financial, attractive to the overall U.S. college sports TV watchers, to put them in the same conference. Hate all you want on CUSA, but UTEP is lucky to be in this conference after the crap they have put on TV the last few years.

Can you add an option for maybe? There’s pros and cons to both. As we have discussed previously, UTEP doesn’t belong in CUSA and they would not miss us one bit. I would “prefer” to be in a conference with NMSU, but it’s not “hell yeah”.

of course you would aggy boy

So just to add a little substance, consider that North Carolina, NC State, Duke, and Wake Forest are all within the same distance as UTEP and NMSU. They are all in the same conference and I think the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill-Wake Forest citizenry would be up in arms if that ever changed.

Why are so many here against our nearest neighbor being in the same conference?

So just to add a little substance, consider that North Carolina, NC State, Duke, and Wake Forest are all within the same distance as UTEP and NMSU. They are all in the same conference and I think the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill-Wake Forest citizenry would be up in arms if that ever changed.

Why are so many here against our nearest neighbor being in the same conference?
Because a majority of UTEP fans think they are La Tech and nmsu is Monroe.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I wont go over my points again, which I've posted several times. It's not good buisness to be in the same conference as NMSU much less play them.

Last edited:
no one cares what you think aggy boy

Thanks for de-railing the thread once again with “Aggy boy”. I am not a honk like you and can give credit to other schools. UNLV’s 1990 Natty is not significant anymore, so UTEP’s 1966 is of even less significance. Not even David Lattin’s own grandson wanted to play here. Tim Hardaway’s son, Antonio Davis’ kids, Greg Foster’s son, and we all know what happened with Isaac Hamilton. None of those kids wanted to play here. NONE.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Thanks for de-railing the thread once again with “Aggy boy”. I am not a honk like you and can give credit to other schools. UNLV’s 1990 Natty is not significant anymore, so UTEP’s 1966 is of even less significance. Not even David Lattin’s own grandson wanted to play here. Tim Hardaway’s son, Antonio Davis’ kids, Greg Foster’s son, and we all know what happened with Isaac Hamilton. None of those kids wanted to play here. NONE.

remind me of your aggy’s nattys

remind me of your aggy’s nattys

They have none. They’ve made 7 NCAAs since UTEP last did though. Likely would have been 8 if this year’s would have been played. I am not going to ask which you would rather have, because you are a dumb honk. Competent, smart, non-bias individuals would rather have the 7 NCAA appearances in the last 8 years. Dummies would choose a natty 54 years ago.

They have none. They’ve made 7 NCAAs since UTEP last did though. Likely would have been 8 if this year’s would have been played. I am not going to ask which you would rather have, because you are a dumb honk. Competent, smart, non-bias individuals would rather have the 7 NCAA appearances in the last 8 years. Dummies would choose a natty 54 years ago.

correct — none

Reactions: Cube Jack
Be the only school in our state to ever win a National Championship or win seven WAC titles? That’s a tough one Shovel. Lol.

Be the only school in our state to ever win a National Championship or win seven WAC titles? That’s a tough one Shovel. Lol.

Since you don’t live in El Paso, you can go ask all the UT fans how much they care about the 1966 championship. They don’t. San Francisco won 2 titles with Bill Russell, don’t you think they would trade those for being 1/5 as successful as Gonzaga is right now? You bet your ass they would.

If you would rather have won something 54 years ago than being successful today, then you are a dumbass.

Since you don’t live in El Paso, you can go ask all the UT fans how much they care about the 1966 championship. They don’t. San Francisco won 2 titles with Bill Russell, don’t you think they would trade those for being 1/5 as successful as Gonzaga is right now? You bet your ass they would.

If you would rather have won something 54 years ago than being successful today, then you are a dumbass.
Nmsu is no Gonzaga. How have those wac titles helped nmsu?

Yes I rather our school have the privilege of being one of the few to win a National Championship than some watered down version of the WAC.

Reactions: chicotown
Nmsu is no Gonzaga. How have those wac titles helped nmsu?

Yes I rather our school have the privilege of being one of the few to win a National Championship than some watered down version of the WAC.

So it’s much better to go a decade without going to the tournament than going 7 or 8 times?

No. Is it better to win a weak WAC or have been National Champions?

I would rather accomplish something in the present or recent past, than peaked 54 years and think that it matters today. I would take 8 CUSA titles in 2060-2070 than winning the National Title in 2020 and then sucking from 2042 to 2070.

David Lattin’s own tucking grandson didn’t give UTEP the time of day. 1966 is so far in the past, it’s completely irrelevant. Texas, Tech, A&M, TCU fans don’t give a shit about what UTEP does in 2020 and they sure as **** don’t care about 1966. It’s a nice accomplishment to have, but it has no bearing on the team’s performance today. Hence 0 for 10.

I had $1,000,000 in 1966, what does that do for me today? Nothing. Especially if I squandered it and saw all my colleagues get richer. I’m just poorer and say “I was a millionaire in 1966, now I live in an apartment and live to month to month”. That’s UTEP. Had a million bucks, blew it all, now living month to month.

I would rather accomplish something in the present or recent past, than peaked 54 years and think that it matters today. I would take 8 CUSA titles in 2060-2070 than winning the National Title in 2020 and then sucking from 2042 to 2070.

David Lattin’s own tucking grandson didn’t give UTEP the time of day. 1966 is so far in the past, it’s completely irrelevant. Texas, Tech, A&M, TCU fans don’t give a shit about what UTEP does in 2020 and they sure as **** don’t care about 1966. It’s a nice accomplishment to have, but it has no bearing on the team’s performance today. Hence 0 for 10.

I had $1,000,000 in 1966, what does that do for me today? Nothing. Especially if I squandered it and saw all my colleagues get richer. I’m just poorer and say “I was a millionaire in 1966, now I live in an apartment and live to month to month”. That’s UTEP. Had a million bucks, blew it all, now living month to month.
Nmsu is living month to month too. All those wac titles today are worthless. No one wants their powerhouse basketball team except a bottom 5 league composed of have beens and start ups. I rather have been a millionaire and be poor now than to have always been poor.

Nmsu is living month to month too. All those wac titles today are worthless. No one wants their powerhouse basketball team except a bottom 5 league composed of have beens and start ups. I rather have been a millionaire and be poor now than to have always been poor.

They made the 1970 Final 4, so they haven’t always been poor. They’re more successful now than UTEP. There’s no debate on that. So the 1966 title hasn’t done anything, as UTEP is worse than a school that has “always been” poor. Doesn’t say much for UTEP now does it?

They made the 1970 Final 4, so they haven’t always been poor. They’re more successful now than UTEP. There’s no debate on that. So the 1966 title hasn’t done anything, as UTEP is worse than a school that has “always been” poor. Doesn’t say much for UTEP now does it?
Yet still in the WAc with all the other unwanted universities. Yeah no thanks. I’ll take our history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT