ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs Charlotte game thread

For this game he was over 50%, over 200 yards and 2 tds. The 2 ints really hurt. Were they bad throws or great defense? Hankins had over 100 yards rushing and UTEP won total yardage although late game yardage helped there. I think its way too early to ditch a soph qb. I still think this team can win up to 4 more games.

The majority of his yds came in garbage time. They are meaningless. Other than the ULM game the offense has sputtered. To this point he hasn't done enough to cement himself as the starting qb going forward. We have to get better play out of the qb position going forward if we are going to win more games. With the current offense the only guaranteed win I see is FIU.

The only thing that has improved from last year is our defense. Why do we even punt the ball on 4th down????

The majority of his yds came in garbage time. They are meaningless. Other than the ULM game the offense has sputtered. To this point he hasn't done enough to cement himself as the starting qb going forward. We have to get better play out of the qb position going forward if we are going to win more games. With the current offense the only guaranteed win I see is FIU.

No other QB on this roster will give us a better chance to win than Hardison. Coaches have to call the kind of game that puts him in a better position to win. We need more intermediate routes over the middle, screens, short slants, etc. We abandon the kind of throws he excels at in favor of this heave it downfield and pray crap. We have really good possession receivers. We need to utilize them in that capacity, imo.

For this game he was over 50%, over 200 yards and 2 tds. The 2 ints really hurt. Were they bad throws or great defense? Hankins had over 100 yards rushing and UTEP won total yardage although late game yardage helped there. I think its way too early to ditch a soph qb. I still think this team can win up to 4 more games.

Dimel said both Interceptions were on Hardison. The play action was a comeback route, Hardison thought the receiver had a go. The other Interception was supposed to be an outside throw, Hardison went to the wrong route.

Dimel said tough game to watch because we had them ready to quit but we shot ourselves in the foot wasn't anything Charlotte did.

Punter had 2 horrible punts and failed to flip the field. Back to back possessions with Turnovers and gave Charlotte the momentum.

Said team hasn't played at home in a while looking forward to 4 of last 6 at home

No other QB on this roster will give us a better chance to win than Hardison. Coaches have to call the kind of game that puts him in a better position to win. We need more intermediate routes over the middle, screens, short slants, etc. We abandon the kind of throws he excels at in favor of this heave it downfield and pray crap. We have really good possession receivers. We need to utilize them in that capacity, imo.
Agree. The coaching could be better, no doubt. At the same time, the players have to make plays. The three turnovers, especially on the road, are difficult to overcome. Those three turnovers came from our best three offensive players (it looked like Cowing ran the wrong route). Hopefully, these three young guys will learn from this experience. I thought the offensive and defensive lines did a good job overall, and to me, that is a big improvement from last year. It was good to see Awatt get some more carries today, and I hope that continues. I thought he ran hard, and showed a nice burst.

Same ole story just as you said...no creativity on pass plays. Too predictable. Wasting the talent they have.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Spot them a 7 point lead out of the box is hard! Miners had game under control the first half, turning point was int called back because of offsides penalty! Didn't get to watch game but Teich said it was because Miners lined up in neutral zone! So go from Miner ball deep in 49'er territory to game tying TD! That play turned the entire game right there! Turnovers hurt no doubt, but lack of focus also played it's part! Still have faith and hopefully the Miners will learn how to win games like this!! It is a nice feeling to know other than the Texas game the Miners had their chances to be sitting at 5-1 and 2-0 in CUSA!!

No wasting, inefficient. Going backwards when you get a big play like the offsides that killed a momentum swinging interception that put UTEP in the red zone and UTEP could have gone up two TD's. Instead, 49ers went in for a TD to tie it up.

Improvement I witnessed: The run blocking was much better today. The rb's had lanes to drive a F-350 through. We wanted a passing game and UTEP has it in Hardison but when a team can't stop you rb's, you pound the crap out of them. Charlotte has one of the worst run D's I have seen UTEP play against and that includes the 2 FCS schools. Second, Awatt is getting better and better as the weeks progress. Finally, the D line will turn the corner and Praise could be the best CUSA D lineman for next year. I see Sunday work in his future. Stewart is a great compliment to Praise and the D hogs are wrapping up at the line.

Bad I witnessed: Damn penalties that kill drives. As I mentioned, a crushing interception was called back and Charlotte tied it up. They had no momentum and UTEP was stuffing the run. False starts and Hardison throwing into traffic. The 2nd interception was a head scratcher but it showes that the receiver and Hardison were off script. Once again, I don't know why Dimel doesn't go with Hankins more. Hardison was throwing some floaters today. Usually his throws are on a rope but not today. He overthrew Dawn who was ahead of his defender for a big play.

Cut the penalties and clean up the passing game and the W's will staring coming more often. Dimel has the players, just clean up the game.

UNT can score, Miners may not be able to keep up next week. If Hardison is struggling, why do they keep calling the long bomb plays? They can do better, lets hope they do. Maybe a win or 2 more tops. They are just not there yet, on the bright side they all get an extra year. Hardison is the qb for the Miners no doubt. Ill take him any day over the guys from the last number of seasons. Play calling needs to get better, and the players need to be a more focused football team.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Agree with most observations here, but might add our punting game is horrid. We can't have multiple punts that go for 29 yards in a closely matched game like this. We gave a good offensive team a short field most of the day, you do this and doesn't matter how good your d is.

Reactions: miner1liner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT