ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs ODU

Our offense just flat sucks. These long stretches without scoring is ALL coaching.

PT is forcing everything, basically because he has too. Too bad he can't stop fouling.

Willms is done and Omega left his aggression at the airport before the season even started. Frazier has basically quit.

I can't wait til the season is done. I really hope we can get our new coach soon so he can start recruiting our young guys and new ones too.

CJ only cares that the players do what he wants 100%. He thinks he is "teaching" them. He doesn't care about winning or creating momentum or playing young guys or anything else for that matter. Its 'do what I say or sit down' to its maximum effect.

I just hope he hasn't already run off certain players out of frustration alone.

Reactions: develman
ODU is solid defensively, but playing Flaggert and Touchet for the majority of the half gives us absolutely no chance. Essentially it is like playing 3 on 5 on offense. I understand that Osborne is bad defensively, and super inconsistent on offense, but Johnson's decision to play those guys is ridiculous. That said, it is not coaching that Thomas can't stay out of foul trouble as a junior, and Omega can't play without Artis. Frustrating.

It’s currently half-time and Flaggert & Touchet have both played more minutes(17 minutes each)in this game than any other UTEP player. Over the course of the Charlotte game and first half of the ODU game, Flaggert and Touchet have played a combined 46 minutes and they have scored a combined grand total of only TWO points in 46 minutes. Flaggert is scoreless in 23 minutes and Touchet has 2 points in 23 minutes.

It’s currently half-time and Flaggert and Touchet have both played more minutes in this game than any other player. Over the course of the Charlotte game and first half of the ODU game, Flaggert and Touchet have played a combined 40 minutes and they have a combined grand total of TWO total points in 46 minutes. Flaggert is scoreless in 23 minutes and Touchet has 2 points in 23 minutes.
"You don't have to score to impact the game"....Phil Johnson

Phil is the master at doing everything possible to put his team in the best position to lose the game. If it wasn’t for his friend Tim, Phil would be coaching 3-5 year old youth basketball at the YMCA.

Please Coach Johnson just go to the end of the bench and sit down for the rest of the year. Let the other coaches guide these guys for whatever is left.

Losing by 50 is utter embarassment...

Please Coach Johnson just go to the end of the bench and sit down for the rest of the year. Let the other coaches guide these guys for whatever is left.

Losing by 50 is utter embarassment...

I say let the players coach the team. They wouldn't do any worse.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Down 50. The program has reached new lows. A new coach is going to clean house. Down 50!? I think the juco route is going to end up being the way. Dont start penciling in your projected lineups for next year. This is the type of situation people walk away from and many people lose their jobs over. This is ugly

And ESPN gave us a 3.9% chance of winning. Sad that this followed an actual win. Proof that CJ kills momentum at every corner. He benched our starters today after 3 minutes and has completely nullified Trey Wade.

Enduring this game reminds me of the football season. I think it was Lasercoog that mentioned the 0-12 season was as much due to being being outmatched at 21 out of 22 positions, against nearly every opposing team. Tonight against ODU it is obvious the disparity in talent from top to bottom on both squads. They are better head to head at every position. In order to be able to compete for a conference title, the level of talent needs to be greatly upgraded. If the goal is to compete versus teams 8-14 in CUSA, then I think the current Calvary can accomplish that. Even if all the contributors stay for the next coach, this is going to be a real challenge for the new coach to find several impact guys late just to avoid a year as bad as this one. Sad.

Down 50. The program has reached new lows. A new coach is going to clean house. Down 50!? I think the juco route is going to end up being the way. Dont start penciling in your projected lineups for next year. This is the type of situation people walk away from and many people lose their jobs over. This is ugly

You’re right. The cupboard may be completely bare. I’m not even sure that’s a bad thing at this point, though.

I thought MTSU was a new low. My love for Miners goes back to the late 70's (I didnt even know all the rules of basketball) and I've never felt as a fan so low.

The past is the past, no sense rehashing it out. Hopefully the new HC can see "Damn! They stink and still lead in attendance?!" So they can see our hurt and our love for UTEP basketball.

Reactions: mikesarabia
You’re right. The cupboard may be completely bare. I’m not even sure that’s a bad thing at this point, though.
Exactly FanatiCoog. Floyd was many things, but he wasn't clueless in terms of the reality of what this team is. If he thought there was any chance to win with these guys, his ego alone would have kept him around. He really left a mess this year, and I also think he realized his calvary wasn't going to get it done next year either. Out of the new guys, I see maybe two guys who could be slightly more than role players on the top 4 CUSA team as juniors.

Exactly FanatiCoog. Floyd was many things, but he wasn't clueless in terms of the reality of what this team is. If he thought there was any chance to win with these guys, his ego alone would have kept him around. He really left a mess this year, and I also think he realized his calvary wasn't going to get it done next year either. Out of the new guys, I see maybe two guys who could be slightly more than role players on the top 4 CUSA team as juniors.

Wade, maybe Smith, maybe PT if he’s playing his true position. Am I missing anyone?

Smith may be a stretch. Just going off potential with him.

I think PT would be a sixth or seventh man on a decent team. He simply isn't consistent on either end to be a guy who would get starter minutes. I actually think Gilyard can be ok, perhaps a starter level guy, but his size limits him. Plus, he has no clue how to run a team. Smith lacks the quickness or explosion physically which limits his ceiling, but he could also be a potential starter guy. To me Wade may be the biggest disappointment based on the Floyd hype. If Wade had come in with attitude of being a defensive stopper, similar to Stefon Jackson as a freshman, he would have ended up playing much more. I'm not sure I see him or Osborne as guys who are tough enough to will a team to win. We need guys who are bothered when they lose, and show leadership. I just don't see it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT