ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs. OU Sat. 9/2 at 1:30 on FOX

Could they potentially be looking ahead to the big showdown and overlook us?
200w.gif

Can a single win secure a coach's job? If Kugler beats OU, I would say yes.
OU is -45 right now with an over under around 62. That about 55-10 final score.

Our odds against Arizona will be much better.

Have any of us seen UTEP beat a power 5 team in our lifetime. I haven't. We have come close with Texas Tech 3 times that I recall. It would be a huge deal (especially on the road).

If UTEP beats Oklahoma, do we get a sellout in game #2?

Last edited:
UTEP has the same chance to beat OU as Hillary has at becoming President.

UTEP has never beaten a Power 5 team or won any game in the eastern time zone.

I'm not that good of a historian. That is the last time we beat a P5 team or won a bowl game. This season will mark the 50 year anniversary.

WOW! Even the god-awful NMSU football team were able to beat a P5 team by 28 points in the last 20 years.

I wonder if there are going to be any 50th anniversary celebrations since UTEP sure likes to celebrate the past.

I think most of UTEP's P5 opponents have been money-game offerings against teams like Oklahoma. We've had a handful of winnable games against Texas Tech over the years and have come up just short a couple of times. Yeah, we brought in Texas (and Oklahoma) for a home game, but we never had a chance.

We need to play more games against the bottom P5 teams instead of the elites. Arizona this season is a rare opportunity. We need to try to schedule Iowa State or Wake Forest and the like, not Texas and Oklahoma and Wisconsin. That's the main reason we haven't beaten a P5 team in ages; because we're usually playing the good ones.

NMSU was lucky and caught Minnesota at the right time. Hopefully UTEP is similarly lucky catching Arizona at the right time, too.

I think most of UTEP's P5 opponents have been money-game offerings against teams like Oklahoma. We've had a handful of winnable games against Texas Tech over the years and have come up just short a couple of times. Yeah, we brought in Texas (and Oklahoma) for a home game, but we never had a chance.

We need to play more games against the bottom P5 teams instead of the elites. Arizona this season is a rare opportunity. We need to try to schedule Iowa State or Wake Forest and the like, not Texas and Oklahoma and Wisconsin. That's the main reason we haven't beaten a P5 team in ages; because we're usually playing the good ones.

NMSU was lucky and caught Minnesota at the right time. Hopefully UTEP is similarly lucky catching Arizona at the right time, too.

I forgot that NMSU beat Minnesota as well. They also beat ASU 35-7 in 1999. I believe that was the only time since their last bowl appearance where they had a winning record.

UTEP actually had a chance in 2012 against OU. It was 10-7 after the third quarter and Mike Price had a great game plan. Unfortunately OU was too much in the 4th quarter.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
[QUOTE="UTEP actually had a chance in 2012 against OU. It was 10-7 after the third quarter and Mike Price had a great game plan. Unfortunately OU was too much in the 4th quarter.[/QUOTE]

That and Lamaison couldn't complete a pass to save his life.

Reactions: sportsfan5000
[QUOTE="UTEP actually had a chance in 2012 against OU. It was 10-7 after the third quarter and Mike Price had a great game plan. Unfortunately OU was too much in the 4th quarter.

That and Lamaison couldn't complete a pass to save his life.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that too. I think I was more upset that UTEP lost 24-7 than if they lost 55-0.

[QUOTE="UTEP actually had a chance in 2012 against OU. It was 10-7 after the third quarter and Mike Price had a great game plan. Unfortunately OU was too much in the 4th quarter.

That and Lamaison couldn't complete a pass to save his life.[/QUOTE]

And Nathan Jeffery got hurt. That's when ALL offensive production stopped.

Special teams played a huge role in us not getting the upset. I believe we missed three field goals. The fake punt attempt early in the fourth was the nail in the coffin

The fake punt was really gutsy and I loved it. It would have been a huge turning point in the game if UTEP got the first down.

Nathan Jeffery played like a man possessed in that game. Didn't he either block a punt, or recover a punt for a TD? That Oklahoma loss and the Texas Tech loss in 06 that went into OT were tough losses to swallow

OU is going to run up the score because that's a Bob Stoops hallmark and I'm sure it will be more of the same with their new coach. That and keep the domestic abuse complaints on the down low. That is a safe bet IMO.

It all depends how good this revamped defensive front looks for UTEP. I don't think it will be a score like Rice vs Stanford but Kugler doesn't play these big name opponent games to win. Compete, yes. Win, no. To win you have to gamble sometimes and that's not Kug's mantra.

Predict OU scores 70 utep scores 14 and sean kugler gets canned or quits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT