ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs UTSA: Game Thread

Good Ol Utep from previous years is back. This is not the same team we've been watching this year. From coaching to play on the field they look plain Bad! I'm not sure what happened during the 3 weeks off, but they were not ready for UTSA today and that's sad with that much time to prepare.

Reactions: Rot
They’re missing some key pieces on offense. I thought we could shut them down in similar fashion to LT but their depth is impressive. Let’s see if we can keep them from scoring 50.

They got to start tackling in practice. This has to be the worst tackling team in division one football. I understand they want to keep players from getting hurt and practice, but it's really showing in the way that we play. Everyone else just seems to be a lot more physical than we are.

They’re missing some key pieces on offense. I thought we could shut them down in similar fashion to LT but they’re depth is impressive. Let’s see if we can keep them from scoring 50.

I don’t think they out athlete us all that much. I really feel like their play calling has put them in this position to win today.

They started by neutralizing our pass rush by getting the ball out of Harris’ hand quickly, and then threw a variety of plays at us that were unpredictable and kept our defense off balance.

Bottom line: UTSA came prepared and ready to play. We didn’t.

They got to start tackling in practice. This has to be the worst tackling team in division one football. I understand they want to keep players from getting hurt and practice, but it's really showing in the way that we play. Everyone else just seems to be a lot more physical than we are.

Agree. It’s like the last 3 weeks we’ve been playing two hand touch at practice. We have been “out physicaled“ today.

Credit that O line and D line from UTSA. They must have gotten some of that Pfizer vaccine shot. They are shoving UTEP.

I don’t think they out athlete us all that much. I really feel like their play calling has put them in this position to win today.

They started by neutralizing our pass rush by getting the ball out of Harris’ hand quickly, and then threw a variety of plays at us that were unpredictable and kept our defense off balance.

Bottom line: UTSA came prepared and ready to play. We didn’t.
I respect your opinion but I’ve seen better athletes on the utsa side or maybe they’re just hungrier in this game.

I respect your opinion but I’ve seen better athletes on the utsa side or maybe they’re just hungrier in this game.
Definitely better depth as you mentioned JC. For sure more playmakers on offense, and wide receivers specifically. Add to that, a very predictable offensive game plan on our part, and this is the result. There are still many areas that require upgrading talent wise. On a side note, if Dimel is the offensive play caller, he needs to fire himself. He isn't doing this young team any favors.

This was measuring stick game for the program and we didn't stack up. The season had been smoke and mirrors. We've won three games two against fcs schools and one against the worst team in fbs. We still haven't won a conference game. The team took a big step back today. Very disappointing loss. I hope we get to play the three more games that are currently scheduled. To claim this program is getting better we need to win a couple of those games. We can't go three years with one conference win.

Once again we are playing against a team with coaches that makes adjustments and for whatever reason we don’t
Bingo. For those that don't blame Dimel. He never makes adjustments. He doesn't set his team up for success. Atleast not to win. It's always lets play safe. He has beat a bad ULM and nothing else. That's not improvement.

That’s what it seems like to me. And they were put in position to make things happen. Both offensively and defensively.

UTSA knew our game plan and quickly adjusted to it. We never seemed to have a clue what they were gonna do and therefore never adjusted to their play calling.

We got out played and out coached.

Bottom line, not happy with the outcome but I’ll be back for more next week...provided we get to play.

My Miner rallying call is getting weaker by the game, though.

Go Miners (in a barely audible voice)!

Lost my faith in Hardison. He had 2 good performances vs Sub D1. He's not a D1 QB. He never steps into the pocket, always on his back foot backing out of the Pocket. The Offensive Tackles can't set an edge because he just keeps dropping giving DE's great angles. I dont think he makes great reads either and misses too many open wr's

Got to admit Frank Wilson left Traylor with a fairly fully stocked kitchen. I would've given Wilson one more year but college FBS is "what have you done for me lately?" sports.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Lost my faith in Hardison. He had 2 good performances vs Sub D1. He's not a D1 QB. He never steps into the pocket, always on his back foot backing out of the Pocket. The Offensive Tackles can't set an edge because he just keeps dropping giving DE's great angles. I dont think he makes great reads either and misses too many open wr's
I respectfully disagree. This qb is the real deal. I remember fans were ready to throw in the towel on Palmer his first year; it turned out differently. The dude has a canon for an arm.

I assume that Utep’s coaches are so arrogant they believe that adjustments show weakness. Kulger would fit in great with this coaching staff.
President Wilson should be embarrassed letting this go on and on and on.
COVID be damned some people need to join the unemployment

Our offense produced about as much as I expected but I did expect a much better defensive effort. That did not come close to the defense we saw against LT or even Charlotte. If you saw the LT vs UTSA game or the UTSA vs BYU game then you know that UTSA has a very good defense.

Reactions: kickballpro
Damn utsa might actually be a good team.

And we were right there with them for 2 1/2 quarters. Maybe even “should” have been leading coming out of the half.

Despite the win-loss column, I’m pleased with the way this team has played...especially on the defensive side of the ball. They’re not “there” yet. But they are way beyond where I thought they’d be before the season started.

Reactions: mikesarabia
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT