ADVERTISEMENT

Very interesting article.

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
Per Bret Bloomquist EP times article 2/17/20:

Most glaringly, they don't have a true point guard and the two guys that are playing there, Nigel Hawkins and Jordan Lathon, both briefly entered the transfer portal in December. Terry said he's playing them at point because that's where their next-level future will be, but the other reason he's playing them at point is because there isn't anybody else.

UTEP often ends up settling for throwing up 3-pointers, and the Miners are truly terrible at that. They make them at a 27.8 percent clip, ranking them 343rd out of 350 teams in Division I.
Terry said that has to get fixed through recruiting, though shooting fewer 3-pointers would also seem a viable, doable option.

At any rate, Terry figures to have some scholarships to spend. There's only one player on the roster, Daryl Edwards, in his final year of eligibility, but there will be some transfers at the end of the season as a number of players seem already to have checked out.

As those close losses mounted, with the season slipping away, playing with effort every game has become a problem. Terry talked about "buy in" and clearly indicated that's an issue. He's called out his guards and seems to have given up on Eric Vila.

Bryson Williams is the constant, his effort is a given though he looks like he's starting to wear down, but he could test the NBA waters after this year.

Terry often talks about how young this team is, though all of the sophomores have more than 50 games of experience at this point, and next season looks like it could be spent rebuilding.

Last edited:
So in summary:
1. Some guys have checked out and our defense/effort has been compromised.
2. We need a PG.
3. We can't shoot and we need shooters.
4. It might help if we shot less 3s.
5. There will be transfers and Vila is likely gone.
6. Bryson will test the NBA waters.

IMO Vila has to be the biggest disappointment this season. This was supposed to be the guy to open up Terry’s offense. He was shooting almost 50% last season during the conference schedule. He nails those shots during practice. For some reason the 3s wouldn’t go in while wearing his UTEP game jersey.

Terry was in a tough spot. Either choice he made would have been criticized. If he benches Villa early that would have shot any confidence Eric had and possibly broken a recruiting pipeline. If he sticks with him and Villa finds his shot, then Terry is a genius. He stuck with him and it never payed off so that means Terry is an awful coach and has no clue what he’s doing.

Damn if you do damned if you don’t.

IMO Vila has to be the biggest disappointment this season. This was supposed to be the guy to open up Terry’s offense. He was shooting almost 50% last season during the conference schedule. He nails those shots during practice. For some reason the 3s wouldn’t go in while wearing his UTEP game jersey.

Terry was in a tough spot. Either choice he made would have been criticized. If he benches Villa early that would have shot any confidence Eric had and possibly broken a recruiting pipeline. If he sticks with him and Villa finds his shot, then Terry is a genius. He stuck with him and it never payed off so that means Terry is an awful coach and has no clue what he’s doing.

For me, the biggest disappointments have been Tarke and Archie. Tarke had good numbers at the lower D1 level, but his game never seemed to come close to matching that type of production here. Archie was hyped up by several folks close to the team as possibly the best player on the team. Terry mentioned that he needs guys that are "players". I take that to mean guys who can make the play when the lights go on. Right now, I see one, maybe two, "players" on this team at best.

Seems a little dramatic because there were other adjustments Terry could have made besides benching Vila. Also don't forget that Terry pushed aside other players in favor of Vila early on.

What has been Terry's biggest focus in his tenure at UTEP? What does he always refer to in his interviews? The answer is defense. It was confirmed early on that Vila is a HORRIBLE interior defender at the 5 position. Add his inability to hit 3s come game time and that equals no playing time in my eyes. This should have been a much easier and much earlier decision from Terry.

The consequences have been 1) lost playing time for Odigie and Verhoeven, losing Ezeagu to the big 12, possibly affecting recruiting and losing games.[/QUOTE]

For me, the biggest disappointments have been Tarke and Archie. Tarke had good numbers at the lower D1 level, but his game never seemed to come close to matching that type of production here. Archie was hyped up by several folks close to the team as possibly the best player on the team. Terry mentioned that he needs guys that are "players". I take that to mean guys who can make the play when the lights go on. Right now, I see one, maybe two, "players" on this team at best.
Aside from Vila I agree, but I think Tarke was hindered early on and mid season by undisclosed injuries. I think he will be a valuable back-up next year.

I'm not sure what happens with Archie, but he was obviously overrated. I dont see where he fits in with Stroud being better and younger.

Per Bret Bloomquist EP times article 2/17/20:

Most glaringly, they don't have a true point guard and the two guys that are playing there, Nigel Hawkins and Jordan Lathon, both briefly entered the transfer portal in December. Terry said he's playing them at point because that's where their next-level future will be, but the other reason he's playing them at point is because there isn't anybody else.

UTEP often ends up settling for throwing up 3-pointers, and the Miners are truly terrible at that. They make them at a 27.8 percent clip, ranking them 343rd out of 350 teams in Division I.
Terry said that has to get fixed through recruiting, though shooting fewer 3-pointers would also seem a viable, doable option.

At any rate, Terry figures to have some scholarships to spend. There's only one player on the roster, Daryl Edwards, in his final year of eligibility, but there will be some transfers at the end of the season as a number of players seem already to have checked out.

As those close losses mounted, with the season slipping away, playing with effort every game has become a problem. Terry talked about "buy in" and clearly indicated that's an issue. He's called out his guards and seems to have given up on Eric Vila.

Bryson Williams is the constant, his effort is a given though he looks like he's starting to wear down, but he could test the NBA waters after this year.

Terry often talks about how young this team is, though all of the sophomores have more than 50 games of experience at this point, and next season looks like it could be spent rebuilding.
That has to be one of the most demoralizing articles on UTEP basketball I can recall. Wow!

At this level of play in the U.S.A there is an expectation that the HC

a)Knows his system better than he knows his momma.
b)Knows what players are needed (I realize you always don't get) for your system
c)(If the college has the budget) The HC gets the right personnel to implement his system
d)Can get the players to believe in his style, coaching and trust.

Yikes, from that article, this is lacking.

giphy.gif

1. Some guys have checked out and our defense/effort has been compromised.
Which players can be accused of checking out?

Not Williams, for sure. Hawkins is injured, so I wouldn't say he checked out. Lathon has had shooting woes this season but he's putting up stats in the other categories (was in double figures in rebounds in a recent game), so whatever you say about him, I don't think he's checked out. Boum definitely hasn't checked out; he's the one Miner who unambiguously improved over the course of the season. If you asked me a month ago, I might have said Edwards, but Edwards has been a beast the last four games. Vila never checked in in the first place.

Which players can be accused of checking out?

Not Williams, for sure. Hawkins is injured, so I wouldn't say he checked out. Lathon has had shooting woes this season but he's putting up stats in the other categories (was in double figures in rebounds in a recent game), so whatever you say about him, I don't think he's checked out. Boum definitely hasn't checked out; he's the one Miner who unambiguously improved over the course of the season. If you asked me a month ago, I might have said Edwards, but Edwards has been a beast the last four games. Vila never checked in in the first place.
Just a summary of the article and Terry's comments. Only he can answer that question.

Reactions: miner1liner
So with basically 2 weeks to practice and one game in between does Terry make adjustments and see if he can salvage something before heading into the off season? Based on his comments and this article I think he might.

Run on offense. Attack the basket over and over. Play through Williams and dive players off of double teams. Guards dribble drive. Look to score 1st or get fouled on drives. Get some rim running plays from the frontcourt. Get to free throw line. Cut back on 3s and limit them to open shots from Edwards, Boum or even Williams. Play strong defense and avoid ticky tack fouls. See what happens.

I think he should start and play these guys big minutes from here on out. This is our best scoring and defensive team right now:
PG Boum
SG Edwards
SF Stroud
PF Williams
C Verhoeven

Odigie, Tarke and whichever of the two that Terry thinks or knows will stay between Lathon and Hawkins. Even Archie if he follows the plan. Anybody that's having a bad game or not following the plan sits. Anybody thats playing well stays in. No more BS substitutions for no reason.

Player disappointments - from biggest to smallest
Vila - Every aspect of his game
Archie - Expectations reeled me in hook line and sinker
Ezeagu - His early departure
Tarke - Knew outside game sucked but thought he could go to the hoop
Verhoeven - Just his offensive game. Had no idea how bad it was
Lathon/Hawkins - Neither improved from last season but rather regressed

Could list several more but these were glaring to me.

Too many transfers, too many players looking to be scorers. This team needs role players who will come in and get a rebound or be a defensive stopper, or make and assist. (Verhooven is about the only guy who fits that role) You can't have a cohesive team if everyone is looking for their shot, or their game.This team is definitely weaker than the sum of it parts. We appear to have quality players at every position on paper, come gametime it all disappears and we become a team of missed opportunities. Terry took a gamble on some of these guys and thought he could mold them into a team, didn't work out now he needs to cut some of them loose, rebuild and get players who want to win more than "work" on their games or make it to the next level.

Too many transfers, too many players looking to be scorers. This team needs role players who will come in and get a rebound or be a defensive stopper, or make and assist. (Verhooven is about the only guy who fits that role) You can't have a cohesive team if everyone is looking for their shot, or their game.This team is definitely weaker than the sum of it parts. We appear to have quality players at every position on paper, come gametime it all disappears and we become a team of missed opportunities. Terry took a gamble on some of these guys and thought he could mold them into a team, didn't work out now he needs to cut someday of them loose, rebuild and get players who want to win more than "work" on their games or make it to the next level.

Yeah, the parts don’t fit together.

Too many transfers, too many players looking to be scorers. This team needs role players who will come in and get a rebound or be a defensive stopper, or make and assist. (Verhooven is about the only guy who fits that role) You can't have a cohesive team if everyone is looking for their shot, or their game.This team is definitely weaker than the sum of it parts. We appear to have quality players at every position on paper, come gametime it all disappears and we become a team of missed opportunities. Terry took a gamble on some of these guys and thought he could mold them into a team, didn't work out now he needs to cut some of them loose, rebuild and get players who want to win more than "work" on their games or make it to the next level.
I have a childhood friend told me his pops dropped a Corvette engine in an old 65 Ford Falcon. The engine barely fit, but they got it done; however, the frame/chassis can't take the power of the motor so it just sits in his dads garage looking all pretty and muscular but basically worthless. UTEP has a NBA quality draft pick with players who can't work around him or get him the ball. He does it all himself.

So yeah, what uni said.

kd1tp8v.gif

Reactions: miner1liner
Side note... would anyone want Menzies if we were hiring?

What a troll question! Of course we don’t want Marvin Menziestration coaching here. He ****ing sucks! 5 NCAA appearances and 1 NIT at EnemasU. The UTEP job will be highly coveted. Coach K, John Belien, and Chris Mack will all be interested, per my sources!

What a troll question! Of course we don’t want Marvin Menziestration coaching here. He ****ing sucks! 5 NCAA appearances and 1 NIT at EnemasU. The UTEP job will be highly coveted. Coach K, John Belien, and Chris Mack will all be interested, per my sources!

That’s right, aggroid.

NMSU is a top mid program but none of their coaches have done well after they left. Theus, Menzies and Weir all had pretty epic flame outs. Menzies would be a disaster.

Reactions: unihorn
We messed up when we let Barbee go. Maybe UTEP had no shot at keeping him, but they should have done everything in their power to keep him. He had UTEP rolling.

UTEP counter offered Baree but still did not touch what Auburn offered.

BG days are over
Barbee days are over
Terry had a major under achieving year. He's here, now. I want him to succeed.

Unlike football, there was some progress, some.

BG days are over
Barbee days are over

BS Stull didn’t even try to counter, he was set on bringing back Floyd.

Last edited:

BG days are over
Barbee days are over

Where was the progress? What aspect of their game improved? I can’t identify one and I’ve seen every game except one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT