ADVERTISEMENT

We're #250, We're #250, We're #250!

Much like Tim Floyd, his best team is his first year, with players he inherited.
Yes Floyd and the team blew it in the end of year 1, but Floyd built up a good team and schedule by year 4-5 (sans Hamilton and Moore) and had a decent team in year 6 (sans VH). He was a WAY better recruiter and coach than Golding, just didn't work out for him for numerous reasons. I dont see the comparison to Golding. He will be going in to year 4 with basically nothing

I'm stunned with Golding, absolutely stunned. I want to believe he will turn this around.

Yes Floyd and the team blew it in the end of year 1, but Floyd built up a good team and schedule by year 4-5 (sans Hamilton and Moore) and had a decent team in year 6 (sans VH). He was a WAY better recruiter and coach than Golding, just didn't work out for him for numerous reasons. I dont see the comparison to Golding. He will be going in to year 4 with basically nothing
Floyd was flailing and was on the decline. His loss and outburst after the Lamar game was the significant crack that laid bare his inability to coach the modern player and succeed in the modern college world. But you're absolutely right that his worst team was miles better than what we're seeing this season from golding and what we can expect next year.

I'm stunned with Golding, absolutely stunned. I want to believe he will turn this around.
Honest question and open to suggestions. Other than the “want”, the “hope”, do you really see ANYTHING that even hints at a turnaround happening?

This team cannot hit the broad side of a barn from close range. Kalu has shown such little improvement on the offensive end. We have no perimeter game to speak of outside of Hardy, and no interior game. We go 7 and a half minutes without scoring a single point. It’s not a one time thing either, scoring droughts happen with regularity. I didn’t think it could get worse than last year and yet, somehow it did. I’d love a turnaround, but CANNOT see how it would happen.

Honest question and open to suggestions. Other than the “want”, the “hope”, do you really see ANYTHING that even hints at a turnaround happening?

This team cannot hit the broad side of a barn from close range. Kalu has shown such little improvement on the offensive end. We have no perimeter game to speak of outside of Hardy, and no interior game. We go 7 and a half minutes without scoring a single point. It’s not a one time thing either, scoring droughts happen with regularity. I didn’t think it could get worse than last year and yet, somehow it did. I’d love a turnaround, but CANNOT see how it would happen.
No. I don't think so. This team/coach have shown no ability to sustain offensively.

Agree. I was hoping Hebb might provide some type of outside threat, the way Golding raved about him. Now I'm wondering what the heck was Golding thinking?

Agree. I was hoping Hebb might provide some type of outside threat, the way Golding raved about him. Now I'm wondering what the heck was Golding thinking?
Golding did a lot of big talking about this team. 🤷‍♂️

• Sad
Reactions: Lil_Train
Golding did a lot of big talking about this team. 🤷‍♂️
So did KROD

“Season prediction: (20-12) I think the Miners win above their projected total (17.5 games) and win a game or two in the CUSA Tournament. I think they find themselves in a postseason tournament and win a game before ultimately falling. UTEP’s close to be a CUSA title contender. This year excites for year four of Golding in 2024 with solid projected returners. Keeping the team intact, considering the transfer portal and NIL, will be another challenge in the offseason. “

Read More: UTEP Men's Basketball 2023-24 Season Outlook | https://krod.com/utep-mens-basketball-2023-24-season-outlook/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

What, faith not good enough Fanatico? There is no empirical evidence of a turnaround unless we play a UCSB-type game, which might happen purely on chance. You're right that the one consistent we have shown all year is putrid half-court offense, which won't win us much. It is truly sad that a program like UTEP is scratching to get home wins to average to below-average teams. I was so wrong after that UCSB game, I thought we had what it took to finish in the top half of CUSA, but now it doesn't look that way.

What, faith not good enough Fanatico? There is no empirical evidence of a turnaround unless we play a UCSB-type game, which might happen purely on chance. You're right that the one consistent we have shown all year is putrid half-court offense, which won't win us much. It is truly sad that a program like UTEP is scratching to get home wins to average to below-average teams. I was so wrong after that UCSB game, I thought we had what it took to finish in the top half of CUSA, but now it doesn't look that way.
Looking back now, if UCSB has Mitchell they beat us that game for sure. I kinda wish that happened so we didn't get false hope.

I hate saying this because after all they are just kids or young adults but I hope he cleans house at the end of the year …. Terrell and jones everyone else let him find a home for them elsewhere and start over

I hate saying this because after all they are just kids or young adults but I hope he cleans house at the end of the year …. Terrell and jones everyone else let him find a home for them elsewhere and start over
Why? The players don’t give a ****. They will do what’s best for them and won’t think twice about you.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Looking back now, if UCSB has Mitchell they beat us that game for sure. I kinda wish that happened so we didn't get false hope.
I’m glad the Miners won and didn’t lose. Don’t get upset because you and others were foolish in believing the team had beat a great team and Bronzeing had assembled something good.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
I forget who mentioned it, but UTEP for the first time in its history hasnt held an opponent to under 60 points all season. Bad considering playing 3 D2 teams. So even the defense has regressed this season.
Right and for all the defensive talk from Golding how many times have we held opposing teams under 30% shooting? Floyd's teams did it numerous times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT