ADVERTISEMENT

What do you expect?

I am just worried that we are gonna have our hopes crushed big time — hope I am wrong...

It's an exhibition and these games are played to work out the kinks. Both teams have one helluva a roster and probably the top 1-2 in the state and runner up finish by Tech adds more to a game that means nothing on paper, plus Miner fans finally get to see Tarke, Williams, Boum along with a more svelte EO who is the best big man in CUSA (Sorry, I think he is better than Bassey from WKU) along with Lathon and Hawk has everyone salivating.

Reactions: miner1liner
FYI, if UTEP gets past Hawaii they could potentially get PAC 12 power Washington...

If we win, that's cool. If we get rolled its cool, as long as this team is out there playing hard this weekend, they have a lot to figure out and this a great measuring stick.

Careless turnovers, and bad offense will be the only thing to really judge and criticize from this game, we finally get to see how RT handles a rotation, last year he had seven guys, I'm interested to see how he handles his lineups in an exhibition game.

The panic should not start until C-USA play, Terry has recruited and well deserves time to make some mistakes, and iron things out from here till Mid-December but by C-USA play, there should be no excuses, I am excited to see this group this weekend, and regardless of the outcome, we should be fine.

It's an exhibition and these games are played to work out the kinks. Both teams have one helluva a roster and probably the top 1-2 in the state and runner up finish by Tech adds more to a game that means nothing on paper, plus Miner fans finally get to see Tarke, Williams, Boum along with a more svelte EO who is the best big man in CUSA (Sorry, I think he is better than Bassey from WKU) along with Lathon and Hawk has everyone salivating.
How about Stroud and Archie and Edwards and Vila and Verhoeven?

I expect an exhibition. Everyone will play and the starters will eventually all sit since the game doesn't matter

Last edited:
I expect it to be a fun night!

We get to get an early glimpse at a team, that is probably the best recruiting class in the last 10-15 years.

A win against the National Champion runner-up would be an added bonus.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Tech lost half of their team and most of their production. They reloaded well though. I think we can match up, especially down low where we should actually have an advantage (Williams and Holyfield will be a good matchup). Clarke and Ramsey is likely where we could get burned.
You are so right about Clarke and Ramsey. They are scary together. Ramsey had 40 plus points in one of their exhibition games and a mere freshman.

This is the 2nd guy that thinks Vila will be our starting center. He also thinks Tarke comes off the bench. I still think its gonna be Lathon, Edwards, Tarke, Williams and EO.
I agree. Gotta be Tarke. Appears to have a better all around game. Vila seems to be an immobile perimeter player... hope I'M m wrong

I agree. Gotta be Tarke. Appears to have a better all around game. Vila seems to be an immobile perimeter player... hope I'M m wrong
I think we could see Vila in the lineup defending against taller interior players. At his height, Efe could struggle guarding taller Centers. I don't see Vila taking many, if any, minutes away from Tarke. I expect Tarke to be one of our top 5 players.

Reactions: miner1liner
I expect am exhibition. Everyone will play and the starters will eventually all sit since the game doesn't matter

I totally disagree with you.. the miners playing hard and staying close and trying to actually win the game means A LOT ... it could bring a lot more excitement to the bandwagon fans and have a great effect on attendance early going....

I totally disagree with you.. the miners playing hard and staying close and trying to actually win the game means A LOT ... it could bring a lot more excitement to the bandwagon fans and have a great effect on attendance early going....
You know how much Terry wants this to be a win on his resume, especially if as so many people suspect; his ultimate dream job awaits his success here.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Agree. I was hoping to catch the exhibition on CUSA TV/Miner TV. In the past, they would stream the local games there, but that looks to be gone now as well.
Update---From the Sports Talk show with Senter, BOTH coaches (CRT and Tech) agreed not to have this game on tv/online to prevent other teams from scouting them out early. Game tickets still available and will be on the radio.

Update---From the Sports Talk show with Senter, BOTH coaches (CRT and Tech) agreed not to have this game on tv/online to prevent other teams from scouting them out early. Game tickets still available and will be on the radio.

LOTS of tickets still available. Not a lot sold so far

You know how much Terry wants this to be a win on his resume, especially if as so many people suspect; his ultimate dream job awaits his success here.
I disagree. If it was a regular season game or post season game yeah, but not a pre season charity game lol. It'd be great for momentum and to show how improved this team is, but that's all. It doesn't count and wouldn't help Terry on his resume, because it's a Scrimmage!

I disagree. If it was a regular season game or post season game yeah, but not a pre season charity game lol. It'd be great for momentum and to show how improved this team is, but that's all. It doesn't count and wouldn't help Terry on his resume, because it's a Scrimmage!
I agree. CRT and TT have many new faces and both will need to work the kinks and will work various rotations to see what works; that's what they're intended to be.

Ahh, ok - thought he really connected back to the ‘66 team and all and really wanted to be at UTEP bc of it,

It would be nice to see a coach actually stick with us for awhile if they are successful— I mean look at what’s happened to barbee, Gillespie and Sadler after leaving? Gillespie did great but aren’t all 3 not div 1 coaches anymore ?

Reactions: JCorona
Ultimately the score means jack squat, because the only thing that matters is that they win their conference tournament. No selection committee will take into account what they did in the preseason.

With that being said I’m sure both coaches will be playing a bunch of unusual rotations to try and get players minutes as opposed to playing matchups while also working on specific in game situations/plays. On top of that I can’t imagine they’re game planning that much.

It would be nice to see a coach actually stick with us for awhile if they are successful— I mean look at what’s happened to barbee, Gillespie and Sadler after leaving? Gillespie did great but aren’t all 3 not div 1 coaches anymore ?
That would be nice. We’re not asking for him to retire here. Don’t jump at the first shitty P5 job that comes calling. Be patient build a dynasty and wait for Texas to become available. A couple of sweet 16 and beyond runs will get their attention.

As a fan base we have to do our part too. Don’t complain about ticket prices going up a few bucks and sell out the Don. So far this season we’re off to a bad start.

That would be nice. We’re not asking for him to retire here. Don’t jump at the first shitty P5 job that comes calling. Be patient build a dynasty and wait for Texas to become available. A couple of sweet 16 and beyond runs will get their attention.

As a fan base we have to do our part too. Don’t complain about ticket prices going up a few bucks and sell out the Don. So far this season we’re off to a bad start.
I anticipate UTEP basketball tickets will be the hottest ticket in town just like BG's second year. Styx is coming in December and I think UTEP will outpace the sales to that concert. That's if this team lives up to expectations.

I think it'll be a disgrace if The Don doesn't have at least 8 or 9 k. Should be sold out. This is a chance to see what our heralded newbees can do against the cream of the crop. El Paso needs a kick in the ass!

Reactions: Lil_Train
Is this still being held at memorial gym? If so, what's the seating capacity? I imagine it can't be much, so low ticket sales would be a little worrying. Have they even advertise this game properly?

Everyone should remember that this is an *exhibition* game. There will not be any serious basketball being played.

Yes, I agree that it would be great if the Don sold out but we gotta be real here. Who was it that once said, "it's just practice!"?

Reactions: Cube Jack
Everyone should remember that this is an *exhibition* game. There will not be any serious basketball being played.

Yes, I agree that it would be great if the Don sold out but we gotta be real here. Who was it that once said, "it's just practice!"?
It's also a fundraiser for the Walmart victim's families correct? I think the advertising and promotion are lagging.

Reactions: minerfan_14

When Miner basketball is in your blood like it is with me; this is a dream game... exhibition or not. You or anyone else that doesn't share that same feeling obviously doesn't share the lust to return to the greatness we once enjoyed. It's been too damn long!
I hope as 2 step said that a UTEP basketball ticket will be a prized possession later in the season.

I would imagine we have about 5-6K core fans. It’ll take time to for the bandwagon fans to pile on. And even that will happen incrementally. We shouldn’t expect too much, too soon in the way of attendance. Hopefully by the end of the year, there won’t be any room left on the wagon.

I listened to the 2nd part of Terry's discussion yesterday where he answered questions (mainly about the newcomers). When asked if Efe will dunk now, Terry said that he is still playing slow despite his drop in weight and the coaches have been on him to pick up the pace and athleticism. Edwards is still regaining conditioning since surgery 9 months ago, but he is a "shot maker", not a "shot taker". He can spread the floor and play D. Vila and Verhoeven are having good and bad days in practice and Terry is encouraging them to play stronger. Tarke needs to work harder on his free throw shooting because Terry is expecting him to be a finisher and play strong defense. He is still learning the wing position. Boum can score in bunches. Williams is a work horse and the coaches will lean on him. Stroud has the highest potential, but is making a lot of freshman mistakes. He will play if he can give a better effort on D. The team is deeper so CRT is expecting a faster pace, stronger defense and wants to score early and often.

I think it'll be a disgrace if The Don doesn't have at least 8 or 9 k. Should be sold out. This is a chance to see what our heralded newbees can do against the cream of the crop. El Paso needs a kick in the ass!

Should be. I agree. Realistically, it won’t be. Takes time in EP.

I agree with you about this game. Doesn’t count. Doesn’t do shit for our record. Doesn’t do shit in terms of RPI. What it does, if we play them close, or obviously if we beat them, is it peaks people’s interest. Early season buzz around the program is a damn good thing.

I wish I could be there to see it go down.

When Miner basketball is in your blood like it is with me; this is a dream game... exhibition or not. You or anyone else that doesn't share that same feeling obviously doesn't share the lust to return to the greatness we once enjoyed. It's been too damn long!
I hope as 2 step said that a UTEP basketball ticket will be a prized possession later in the season.

You misunderstand me here, M1L. I'm a lifetime Miners fans myself having been born and raised in EP. But just like I don't watch pre-season NFL games, I don't really care about *practice* games. They mean absolutely NOTHING.

That said, if this is also a fundraiser for the families of the Walmart shooting victims as Mr. Fools has alluded, then I would be more inclined to buy a ticket if I lived in EP.

I'm with you in hoping that tickets will be scarce later in the season. That would mean our beloved Miners are playing well and in contention for some kind of post-season reward.

Should be. I agree. Realistically, it won’t be. Takes time in EP.

I agree with you about this game. Doesn’t count. Doesn’t do shit for our record. Doesn’t do shit in terms of RPI. What it does, if we play them close, or obviously if we beat them, is it peaks people’s interest. Early season buzz around the program is a damn good thing.

I wish I could be there to see it go down.
I would love to be there, but since I can't I will be tuned into the audio and hopefully yelling good things with the help of the players, Teicher and Yellen.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT